82 Degree Countersink - great for dog holes

Review by lysdexic posted 560 days ago 2819 views 1 time favorited 25 comments Add to Favorites Watch
82 Degree Countersink - great for dog holes No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Just an FYI:

I needed to chamfer all the dog holes and the parallel guide holes on my bench. I have a cheap countersink from Lowe’s for the parallel guide holes but it sucks. Talk about chatter. At the end the holes look more like ten point stars.

I thought about a round over bit in the trim router but I still need a good countersink. Then I saw this in the Lee Valley catalogue. It even mentions dog holes. Free shipping and it was a deal.

Smooth! No chatter. No tear out. No dust, ear plugs or extension cords. So I introduced the new countersink to my ole Fray Spofford brace and I am good to go.

This is the crappy one from Lowe’s

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

——-Just something to keep in mind for those doing bench builds and it leaves you with a high quality, versatile countersink that works in any sized hole up to 1 1/4”.

-- It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe. - Muhammad Ali

View Smitty_Cabinetshop's profile

Smitty_Cabinetshop

Excellent close ups, excellent review. Thanks!

-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. -- OldTools Archive

View Brit's profile (online now)

Brit

+1 for the Beall. I bought one some time ago and I love it.

-- Andy -- Old Chinese proverb say: If you think something can't be done, don't interrupt man who is doing it.

View Iamjacob's profile

Iamjacob

I read somewhere that single flute countersinks are better for wood and multi-flute countersinks are better for metal.

Those sure are some pretty closeups.

View racerglen's profile

racerglen

Love mine, just like you show n’ describe Scott, marvie devices !

-- Glen, Vernon B.C. Canada

View AnthonyReed's profile

AnthonyReed

Thank you.

-- ~Tony

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

One of the lead carpenters in our crating department shared this technique with me, which helps prevent chatter….

1. center puch hole
2. counter sink into the soliid wood first.
3. then drill the hole second

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

I have the one from Lowes. It does indeed suck. Thanks for pointing me toward a good alternative.

View doordude's profile

doordude

thanks for the tip, i’v been meaning to buy one too

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

1191 posts in 1973 days

You can see the difference in the grind marks on the Lowe’s tool vs the Lee Valley tool. Good photos.

Thanks for posting… I should add one to my tool set… And, I like your idea of using the brace vs a drill… well done.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

View ShaneA's profile

ShaneA

I have made some ten pt stars w/the ones I have, figured it was user error. Being lazy and not looking, was it spendy?

lysdexic

Shane – $24.50 but I bought during the free shipping weekend.

View Dave's profile

Dave

Counter sink candy.
I love the photos as well.

-- Superdav "No matter where you go - there you are." http://chiselandforge.com

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

Yep, I learned the hard way that the single flutes are the only way to go in wood. I get mine from Wholesale Tool. Good quality and VERY inexpensive.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View Fallon's profile

Fallon

Single-flute = smooth
Multi-flute = fast

It really doesn’t matter the material. Multi-flute stuff usually chatters and leaves rough marks in metal as well.

lysdexic

Thanks for all the info. I just never really considered the nuances of countersink design. Go figure.