initial thoughts upon assembling

Review by Jimnl posted 561 days ago 2789 views 1 time favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
initial thoughts upon assembling initial thoughts upon assembling initial thoughts upon assembling Click the pictures to enlarge them

It looks like Nova needs a little more quality control. While assembling the stand, I cut myself on the leg braces. The edges on the cast iron are jagged and sharp on my unit. The cut wasn’t bad, but enough to make me stop putting the lathe together and take a file to all the cast iron edges.

Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get the motor attached and try it out.

The pictures are from after I’ve filed the sharpest edges off.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

huh? is this meant to be a review on the Nova? or just a general post (forum/blog)?

welcome to Lumberjocks by the way ;)

for better use of the website I think it’s best to keep product reviews for – well – product reviews. anything else is probably better posted as a blog or a forum topic.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

Jimnl

It’s an initial review based upon my assembling the lathe. So far all I’ve had a chance to see was the poor quality control of the stand. I have gone back and cleaned up the wording, I hope that helps.Also added pictures where I’ve filed the jagged edges off.

Personally, I would have found it useful to find out on this website that there are possibly sharp jagged edges on the metal where it is supposed to be rounded or flat.
On my Jet mini, the cast iron edges are flat with no sharp edges and I expected the same from a machine that cost me $800 more.

I’m planning on updating the review once I’ve had a few hours of turning on it, but I had a first impression and felt it was a review of the product. It’s not a mechanical review, but a quality control review (for now)

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

Ok, good deal. but we inquiring minds want to know, what do you think of the whole machine!!
And BTW, welcome to Lumberjocks!

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View lumberjoe's profile

lumberjoe

To sum up the review:
You haven’t used it
The casting on the stand was cracked in places
You wish you had read a review warning of cracked casting on a stand
You cut yourself on it
You gave it 4 stars

-- www.etsy.com/shop/KandJWoodCrafts

Jimnl

Tennessee, I’m hoping to see how well the lathe works tonight after finishing the assembly. Overall, everything I’ve read about it has been pretty positive. I’m hoping that my experiences won’t be any different.

Lumberjoe.
yes- I haven’t had a chance to use it. I was putting it together until 11pm

no- the parts on the stand assembly are jagged and sharp, not cracked.

kind of- I was responding to the comment of PurpleLev about whether what I wrote was a review or not. I meant that if someone had written something about the stand having sharp jagged edges, I would find that pertinent. I didn’t mean that I wish someone else had written it.

yes- I cut myself on it (see above)

yes- 4 stars. I can’t grade it for performance, just what experience I have with it so far. 5 is great, 4 is very good. If it runs flawlessly it stays at 4, if it runs poorly I will lower the rating. Plus, there is no option for leaving it blank until a later time.

View Johnny Boy's profile

Johnny Boy

Hi Jimnl, I do not understand why others are so aggressive with you. Ok, this is not a full review but it’s an interesting point and that deserved to be mentionned especially for a supposedly premium lathe.
Remember guys, nothing owes you anything here.

-- Johnny Boy

View Willardz's profile

Willardz

Good Info so far, look forward to the full review

-- I have Carrie, food, shelter, and wood to turn. What else do I need? http://www.willardwoodworking.com

View ShaneA's profile (online now)

ShaneA

Is this the one WoodCraft has on sale right now? Look forward to hearing how it works once assembled and put through some work.

View BenI's profile

BenI

ShaneA – As long as he has his model numbers correct, it is the one on sale at Woodcraft right now. I was wondering that too til I looked at the flyer again.

-- Ben from IL

Jimnl

Yeah, this is the one on sale right now for 899. Last week I was ready to bite the bullet and buy it at full price. The day after I had that thought, I got the flyer in the mail showing the sale. Perfect timing.

Besides the rough and sharp edges, things went well in putting it together. I was able to assemble it myself in about 1 1/2 hours (mostly cuz I was watching TV as I put the legs on)
There is a bolt that keeps the headstock locking pin from seating fully. I can’t find it so I can’t get the locking pin to do its job. Right now, no worries, the locking lever keeps the headstock in place. If anyone can tell me where that thing is, please let me know!

So far, I’ve played a little. I’ve thrown some small spindle stock on and played with changing speeds. Compared to the Jet mini, it’s a little more difficult in changing the belt position, not terrible, but it is going to take some time getting used to it. Although there is a larger opening, it is more awkward.

One concern I had was how well the headstock and tailstock lined up. The concerns were unfounded, they aligned perfectly. I do plan on making and alignment tool for the future as everything loosens up.

Faceplate turning won’t be happening until the chuck arrives in the mail.

I don’t care for the power switch. It’s not in a good location if you need to kill the power in a hurry, especially if the headstock is turned. I posted a picture of the motor and you can see the location of the switch. I’ll probably be installing a kill switch that will have a magnetic mount.

I found myself continually reaching for the non-existent handwheel to stop the rotation of the lathe and also to help in changing the belt. I’m not sure if I will spend the $30 for the handwheel or if I will make one myself.

View lumberjoe's profile

lumberjoe

I’ve been looking at getting this lathe also while it is on sale. I’m going to have to look a little harder I guess. More difficulty in changing speeds is not something I am looking forward to, and actually one of my primary reasons for upgrade.

Thanks for the additional details

-- www.etsy.com/shop/KandJWoodCrafts

View harrywho's profile

harrywho

I’ve had this lathe for about 3 years. Loved it until about a year ago when I started having vibration problems. I finally figured out that the two piece lathe bed is now out of line. Before I did something stupid I figured I would call customer support. Keep getting a recording and no response to messages, tried sending message via their Help Desk page but it won’t go through. Anybody have any idea how to contact them or how to realign beds?
Thanks for any help.

-- Harry, Indiana

View Mip's profile

Mip

Hey Jimnl, I usec to work for Woodcraft way back when, and you said that you were lucky enough to wait by chance until the sale started on this lathe. I have a feeling that the guys working at the store would have told you about the sale starting the next day so you could save some money. I know we would have. As to the review, it sounds like a good review so far. Can’t wait for the full one.

Mip,
the funny thing is, I expressly asked if they knew when the sale might happen again, both people there said they had no idea.

Jimnl

I’ve finally been able to spend a full day turning. I noticed the spindle housing was hot to the touch. I used my wife’s laser thermometer and took a reading. As the picture I posted shows, it was over 120 degrees.
I know my Jet mini never got hot so I’m wondering if this is normal for a larger lathe.