Great Shop Apron

Review by 47phord posted 666 days ago 3577 views 2 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Shop Apron Great Shop Apron No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Tired of being covered in sawdust at the end of the day and constantly searching around for commonly used tools (you know the drill, “Dammit! where did I set my square at now? Where my pencil roll off to? Ugh!”) I went on the hunt for an apron. I initially asked my wife-who likes to sew-if she could make me one. She looked for a pattern and had no luck, that is unless I wanted a frilly, flower-print apron like Grandma used to wear in the kitchen, but found this one after a quick Google search. On their website they show a video demonstrating how the mesh pockets on this thing shed saw dust instead of holding it in. I was intrigued and for $28 it was a good site cheaper than any other quality apron I found. After spending some time wearing it, I have to say I like it-it’s made out of a heavy canvas material (hence the ‘fire hose’ name), it has numerous pockets and loops-more than I ever see myself needing truth be told-and the strap system transfers the weight of the apron to your shoulders instead of hanging around your neck-a big plus.

I have only two minor complaints, one is the strap system is a little tricky to put on-the shoulder straps come together in a loop behind your back, and then the belt threads through that loop and attaches on the other side. It can be a little tricky to do because the loop has to be far enough down your back to catch the belt and the weight of the apron wants to make it slide up. My other concern-unfounded so far but I just started using it-is whether those mesh pockets will hold up to having tools put in them. My experience with nylon mesh is that it usually rips eventually, but Duluth Trading makes good quality stuff so we will see. If your in the market for an apron, give this one a look.

View 47phord's profile

47phord

View hjt's profile

hjt

Pretty simple – pretty smart!!

-- Harold

View mmax's profile

mmax

145 posts in 2059 days

I’ve had mine for two years now and have no complaints. Really great product.

-- Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else

View mloy365's profile

mloy365

I am on my second apron from DTC. All the stuff from them is very good!

-- Mike - Northern Upper Michigan

I like mine too.
The only shop accessory – -that doesn’t run on 220- – that can actually improve efficiency by 50%.

View Kevinjohn's profile

Kevinjohn

For me an apron must have a swing pocket on the top otherwise every time you bend over to pick something off the floor or bend more than 90* everything falls out. Grrrrrrrr…....

View mloy365's profile

mloy365

Swing pocket would really be nice!

-- Mike - Northern Upper Michigan

View WoodworkGuy's profile

WoodworkGuy

Thanks for the review, I’ve been looking at this for awhile. Good to see a review from an actual woodworker. I like the number of pockets and the mesh. I wish it was a bit longer, like the Rockler one I have, but that wouldn’t be a deal breaker. Better to get glue, paint, etc on the apron and not pants.

-- Making sawdust and memories through woodworking.

112001 posts in 2180 days

Looks interesting most aprons I’ve tried hang around your neck and I find that uncomfortable.

View yrob's profile

yrob

I have one made of fabric and the straps are neck straps. It is uncomfortable when you wear it all day. I found one that seems well made that I have put on my wish list for christmas.. Its sold by toolsforworking wood and it has shoulder straps. Its made out of leather and seem well priced. Hopefully it will be nice to use too..

-- Yves

View 47phord's profile

47phord

Woodworkguy: I’m 5’9 and the apron hangs to the middle of my thighs, which for me is perfect-any longer and it would be in the way.
a1jim and yrob: this apron puts the weight on your shoulders. The longest stretch I’ve had it on for is about 4 hours and I didn’t have any fatigue from it. Granted, I don’t carry a lot of heavy tools in the apron so that may be part of it.

View dahenley's profile

dahenley

im 6’8” tall and 289 lbs
i got one of these for Christmas. it fits fine and works great. theres a little getting used to (i have never wore one before, but its not uncomfortable)
i can see plenty of use with this in the future!!

-- David Henley