Sonic Crafter could be better

Review by Julian posted 689 days ago 1760 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Sonic Crafter could be better No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased the Rockwell sonic crafter about 2 years ago. I purchased it on-line for about $140. It came with the hard case and various cutting blades and sanding pads. I found that the machine screw that holds the blades can come loose from the vibration. You have to tighten the machine screw with an allen wrench (provided) to the point that I always worry I might strip the threads. After a few uses, my tool stopped working. It was within the warranty period so I called the 800 service number. I was given a service location which was a lawn mover sales and service store more than 20 miles away. When I took the tool in, the guy behind the desk did not know anything about servicing Rockwell tools. He called the manager who was aware they were a service center for Rockwell. After a few days I picked the tool up and was told it just had a loose wire. No other problems since.
Pros: Much less expensive than a comparible Fein MultiMaster tool Plenty of power to cut 2×4s and similar materials Unique cutting action allows for cuts that you could not get a saw to fit
Cons: Electrical problem after only about 3 uses Carrying case is small, makes it difficult to fit everything inside. Method of holding the cutting blades is not good; vibration loosens the machine screw Metal cutting blade is easily dulled after cutting 1 nail Wood cutting blades are not sharp; the blades burns the wood much too easily. Need to sharpen before use.
At the time I purchased the Sonic Crafter the Fein MultiMaster was selling for $400. Much too expensive for a tool that I would only use once or twice a year. But now I have seen the Fein tool at my local HomeDepot on clearance for $200. If I had to replace the Sonic Crafter I would purchase the Fein multimaster instead.

-- Julian

View Julian's profile

Julian

View WoodWorkWarrior's profile

WoodWorkWarrior

I bought a sonicrafter 4 years ago. I have used it extensively for stuff I never thought I’d be doing. Certainly a versatile type of tool. It’s a bummer you had an electrical problem so early on. I’ve not had a single problem with mine. I torque the screw down for the blade attachments pretty strong and it’s showing no signs of stripping. It’s never backed out. I think you can put a bit more umph into it and it won’t back out.

The blade assortment continues to grow, and I keep finding new uses for the tool. I agree that the bag (I have the bag, before the hard case came out) and the blade holder box does leave some room for design improvement, but they work.

-- Jason

View crashn's profile

crashn

I got the HF version, 19.99 on sale, works for what it is. Helped to trim the base boards for a floor install last weekend.

-- Crashn - the only thing I make more of than sawdust is mistakes

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

I own the Sonic. Ended up not using it until I discovered the little triangle sander, and one of the thin cutting blades, now I use it now and then for small things. Still though, not a big usage tool. More of a tool for home improvement than woodworking.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View riverguy's profile

riverguy

Like a lot of users, I bought my Sonicrafter kinda like because I just thought I should have one in case I ever needed it. Does that sound familiar? I always do extensive research before buying any tool, and after reading many reviews (mostly on Amazon), I decided on the Sonicrafter.

-- Skip, Forestville, CA, http://www.sonomastainedglass.com

View Valk0001's profile

Valk0001

Luv mine. No problems after 2 years of constant use around the house and in the garaage. The Dremel got jealous but oh well!

View Jim's profile

Jim

I’ve had mine for 3 yrs. Also had the problem with the screw loosening and I’m just waiting for the eventual day when I can’t crank it down anymore and it has stripped. But so far so good and it certainly is handy.

-- Jim, www.greenteawoodworking.com

View JesseTutt's profile

JesseTutt

I’ve owned mine for over 2 years. No electrical problems. I use it about once every 3 or 4 months for cutting. I think that the screw came loose 2 or 3 times. Using the blade adaptor you can use HF blades on it.

-- Jesse, Saint Louis, Missouri

View Dallas's profile

Dallas

Just a note, the Sonic Crafter screw is now obsolete.

If yours still works I would put a drop od medium hold threadlock on the screw to hold it. Otherwise I would sell it on eBay for enough to by a decent Harbor freight unit. LOL.

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

View Bob Kollman's profile

Bob Kollman

I have the craftsman, use it mainly for sanding. These tools are great, and yeah the cheaper ones come with there own personality, all in all great tools.

-- Bob Kenosha Wi.

View Sandra's profile

Sandra

I’ve had my Sonic Crafter for 3 years. I was very pleased with it initially, but once I started using it regularly, it soon lost its appeal.

Issues I had with it
1. Noise. I wear ear protection and still the thing is like a jet engine
2. Velcro-type attachment pad that the sand paper adheres to – mine has been useless for the past year. I cut velcro myself and tried using it. It lasted for awhile.
3. The cutting blade quickly dulled.
The screw has been loosening more and more easily.

Today, I bid it adieu and ordered the Bosch. I like the concept of the tool, but was not impressed with the durability of the attachments.

-- No, I don't want to buy the pink hammer.

View Jake7212's profile

Jake7212

I received it as a gift from my father in law and really didnt know what I would use it for. I do apartment mantenance for a living and knew that eventually, I would use it. I’ve tried cutting several things and i prefer my jigsaw or a circular saw, but i use the rasp an awful lot. I use it to remove ceramic tile glue from the floor so i ran re-install tiles that have come loose. It saves me time and it saves my company money. I also used the finger sander things to do some sanding on a piece of furniture i was refinishing and wouldnt ya know it melted the velcro in no time at all. To me its a hit or miss tool, but am glad I have it in my tool box.