Grizzly G1023RL Review/Opinion

Review by BoardSMITH posted 668 days ago 5509 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly G1023RL Review/Opinion No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this cabinet saw in February and over the months I have come to some opinions about the saw in general. I thought a review might be in order.

Overall, I was quite pleased with the packaging and the instruction manual. Once out of the shipping container, I was able to easily find the parts and assemble them. I remember I had the saw up and running in less than 2 hours.

I use the saw as a dedicated rip saw only and it performs well cutting 8/4 maple, mahogany cherry and walnut. Using a 20 ct Forrest rip blade the saw rarely bogs down and only when the stock pinches back together do I hear any protest from the belt. I believe the flat belt could be a chore to replace in the future but I won’t worry about that just yet.

Unlike my G0690, the throat plate is merely laying in place rather than being fastened down. I guess that is a small detail but not worrisome.

The blade guard is a chore to install. Unless you have help, aligning the guard mount to the clamp inside the saw requires dexterity requiring some contortions. More than once I have uttered some choice comments to the person who designed it this way. Fastening the clamp is easy enough but not the most positive means. The recent kick back I experienced proved how weak that clamp really is. When I reinstalled a new guard Friday, I turned the bolt which controls the amount of tension on the clamp and found that more than 1/8 turn on the bolt made the clamp impossible to fasten down completely. (As an aside, the old guard which bore the brunt of the blade when it flew out had 43 marks on it where the blade teeth hit it.) New blade, new guard and the saw is back to running.

The dust collection is less than optimum. There is a dust chute under the blade which is supposed to funnel saw dust to the duct collector hook-up on the back of the saw. Beware, unless you use a zero clearance insert on the saw, any large fragment that falls inside the dust chute WILL CLOG the exit or the flex hose and allow the saw to kick saw dust back to the users face. In short, the exit is much to small to be effective. When it becomes clogged, the only real way to clear it is to remove the guard, throat plate and blade to get at the clog or remove the flex hose clamp and hope you can pull the clog through the exit. The flex hose Grizzly uses is also much to small and is, IMHO, quite ineffective. My saw now has both the dust chute and flex pipe removed.

The dust collector hook-up at the bottom rear of the saw is divided into two parts, one wide slot to collect dust from the bottom of the cabinet and a small pipe where the flex is supposed to hook into. I have now rearranged the cabinet so that there is one large 4” opening in the back rather than the two smaller openings. It has to be more effective.

The Shop Fox fence system supplied with the saw is okay but not as good as it should be. I will replace it later this year with something else.

In short, despite some shortcomings in my opinion, I like the saw. A good value with plenty of power and easy to operate. (Actually, the elevation and bevel controls are much easier to operate than my G0690 and much less prone to clogging by saw dust or chips.)

Would I buy another one, probably but I would consider others as well before purchase.

I have to apologize for the photo I supplied. It is one I took just after installation and isn’t as up to date as I would like. A lot has changed since the photo was taken.

-- David www.TheBoardSMITH.com

View BoardSMITH's profile

BoardSMITH

View ACP's profile

ACP

A lot of minor annoyances for 5 stars. A good review though, it really picks out details that one needs to know before buying. Thanks.

View BoardSMITH's profile

BoardSMITH

Actually, I would have rated it at three but overlooked the rating section.

-- David www.TheBoardSMITH.com

View Mark Shultz's profile

Mark Shultz

i have this saw. the dust collection is indeed poor. also, the motor is mounted on the outside of the cabinet under the wing. this makes in impossible to add a router table extension unless it is an extra wide extension.

View dnick's profile

dnick

You gotta pay attention to those stars. At first look I thought this must be a great saw. I actually looked at the review just to see how great it was. Nice, honest review though, thanks for that.

-- dnick, North Hollywood, Ca.

View Cato's profile

Cato

641 posts in 1915 days

Hose design on that dust shroud must be the problem David.

I have a cab saw that must have a bigger shroud outlet and hose because it pulls virtually everything down and out just using the standard insert that came with the saw.

I am a hobbyist though, so not putting the use on the saw like you do.

View HorizontalMike's profile

HorizontalMike

deleted double post

-- HorizontalMike -- "Woodpeckers understand..."

View HorizontalMike's profile

HorizontalMike

Wow… I am sorry to hear about the DC issue. I had thought that was going to be the strong point when I first ordered this saw. After such a long wait on back-order, I switched over to an “In-Stock” G0690 and have been pleased ever since. The DC on the G0690 has worked very well for me and the “large scrap pieces” drop down into a large cavernous base that allows dust to continue while trapping these larger pieces.

You might be right about the G1023RL, ”... the elevation and bevel controls are much easier to operate than [the] G0690…” I do find my G0690 a bit tight every so often, but it just seems to be a minor annoyance that occasional shots with the air hose can take care of.

Thanks for the review, as I do find this kind of information truly informative for those in the market for a new TS.

-- HorizontalMike -- "Woodpeckers understand..."

View TimWood's profile

TimWood

I have the same saw and really like it even with the shortcomings. Keep in mind, I’m coming from an old Craftsman so I’m not as picky as some may be. Having said that I echo the poor dust collection. I occasionally turn on the dust collector, remove the zero clearance insert, and spray air from the top churning it around to remove it. I may look into the modification David spoke of. I never installed my Shop Fox fence but immediately installed my Incra fence system. I love the saw’s elevation and bevel controls. They’re very smooth and easy to operate even with a little right hand shoulder pain that I often have. It was a pain to cut a beveled angle before but now it’s a quick easy switch. I’d definitely buy it again and would give it 4 stars.

-- Tim Harrelson