Shopsmith Joint Matic - Horizonal Router

Review by Dan'um Style posted 04-05-2008 05:20 AM 15941 views 1 time favorited 27 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Shopsmith Joint Matic - Horizonal Router Shopsmith Joint Matic - Horizonal Router Shopsmith Joint Matic - Horizonal Router Click the pictures to enlarge them

First I must say that the photos are not mine. I surfed the net and found them.

This review is for a discontinued tool. Can’t buy it new anymore, but if you find one, grab it. It is a rare tool.

Shopsmith originally sold for $999. There is currently one for sale on craigslist.org in Dallas for $600

I bought mine on eBay a few years ago. It came with a Porter Cable router base that fits my 690.
Even came with the optional Shopsmith stand.
I got one heck of a bargain. Paid twice as much for the shipping as I did for the tool and still spent less then $100.

It is a handy tool. Does a good job for cutting mortices and have used it for a variety of other configurations and special cuts.

Below is an excerpt from a web description. http://shopsmith-tool-hunter.blogspot.com/

Shopsmith Joint Matic – Horizonal Router

This tool was originally sold by the Strong Company and after Shopsmith purchased the rights to make it they took it into their R&D department and added dust collection and removed one lead-screw and the synchronizing bicycle chain. After a few years this tool was retired. There is one important thing that you need to keep an eye out for if you are shopping for the Shopsmith version of this tool. You’ll want to make sure that the plastic platen that moves the router up and down isn’t cracked where the knob that adjusts the backlash out of the lead-thread, threads into the platen. If you are buying one online ask the seller to tighten the knob gently and snap a photo of this detail from above. It it’s cracked, take a pass.

Mine works fine and the dust collection is the best I ever seen for a router.

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#1 posted 04-05-2008 05:33 AM

Thanks for the review. I’ve never seen one before.

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

#2 posted 04-05-2008 03:39 PM

i imagine it works well, but how safe is it to use?

-- making sawdust....

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#3 posted 04-05-2008 04:33 PM

thanks for the review. there is another horizontal router table that is now manufactured. if i can find the link i’ll post it.

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#4 posted 04-05-2008 04:34 PM

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

#5 posted 04-05-2008 05:26 PM

Nice find Dan.

MLCS sells the same one as Eagle.

Someday I’ll show you a picture of the horizontal router I made.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is the one MLCS sells.

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

#6 posted 04-05-2008 07:15 PM

Hi Dan;

I recall considering one of these I guess close to twenty years ago, (complete guess). I never did buy it, and now I kind of regret it.

Lee

#7 posted 04-05-2008 07:35 PM

Never seen one. thanks for the review.

#8 posted 04-05-2008 07:51 PM

safety is always a concern.

it has an exposed router bit.

all I can say is I’m very careful and have never been hurt using it.

I always follow these rules:

never use power tools when you are tired or sleepy

never use power tools under the influence of alchohol or other things like drugs … legal or otherwise

If it doesn’t look safe or feel right … there is always another way.

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

#9 posted 04-05-2008 09:35 PM

This is a horizontal mortiser I made, based on a plan by Yeung Chan. I modified the depth adjustment mechanism to use a bolt, instead of clamping to the work bench. I’ve used this for years and it works very well. The only thing different about it’s use is, you feed the work with the rotation of the bit, instead of against it. Other wise you get a lot of splintering. I made the sliding table a little tight, to prevent it from sucking the work into the bit.

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

#10 posted 04-05-2008 10:11 PM

looks like something easy to make and use. I may have to take a crack at it.

-- making sawdust....

#11 posted 04-05-2008 11:03 PM

I also found a Shopsmith miter gage that fits the Joint Matic. ... Ebay ,, where else. I’ve also made jigs and special fixtures for different projects.

View dlcarver's profile

dlcarver

#12 posted 04-05-2008 11:35 PM

My uncle use to have a shopsmith way back when (in the 1950’s and ‘60”s. He could change it into a table saw, a lathe, router, and I think it even jointed and planed smaller pieces. I remember, it was a fabulous machine, but every time you wanted to do something, you had to tear down that set-up to go to the other one…...then if you had to come back to that set-up…....whewww….what a waste of time etc.
Nice post Dan
Dave

-- Dave Leitem,Butler,Pa.,http://dlcarver.etsy.com

View pinkiewerewolf's profile

pinkiewerewolf

#13 posted 04-06-2008 05:59 PM

Shopsmith makes an OverArm Pin Router. (ignore the Pin part for now because it does so many more functions)

The beauty of the OPR is that it functions in the horizontal configuration also.

-- John, Nor-Cal, shopsmith.net/forums

View Woodshopfreak's profile

Woodshopfreak

#14 posted 04-08-2008 04:41 AM

Cool. Is this like the multi router that David marks uses? I don’t get why the horizontal-ness of it helps to do things, what is the main reason of haveing it mounted horizontaly?

-- Tyler, Illinois

View pinkiewerewolf's profile

pinkiewerewolf

#15 posted 04-08-2008 03:15 PM

WSF, I think joinery (like dovetails) is a great function for the horizontal routing systems. You can see the work, it isn’t underneath your work piece.
BTW, I received my Overhead Pin Router from Shopsmith yeasterday morning.
When I get the opportunity, I’ll experiment with it in the horizontal mode.

-- John, Nor-Cal, shopsmith.net/forums