A mind of its own

Review by YooperCasey posted 01-20-2008 03:21 AM 4266 views 0 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A mind of its own No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a tool I wish I never would have purchased. I would have prefered to get by using a coping saw and dealing with a blister or thirty. This tool generates such a level of frustration that it is amazing that the same engineers who design Dewalt, Porter Cable, and Delta could allow such a monstrosity to leave the lab.

This particular unit has a quick blade release, variable speed, variable orbital action and an adjustable base.

The quick blade release does release the blade quickly and hold it solidly. I have yet to have a blade pop out. Unfortunately the entire saw has to be held at a 30 degree angle to the cutting line in order to get a straight cut. Remove your finger and stop the cut for a second and the blade resets itself to some other magic angle. The vertical cut is also at an angle, probably about 5-15 degrees. In thicker materials it is almost comical if it wasn’t so frustrating. I can only attribute this to a loose blade, or possibly a misadjustment in the blade carrier. Unfortunately the unit is thread locked to such a point that no adjustment is possible.

The variable speed is also quite interesting. I installed a new shower surround yesterday and used this little gem to trim a panel to size. We wanted a nice, slow, smooth speed to reduce gumming on the surround. The variable speed would work on the first three inches or so, then it would randomly move up or down, before finally settling on maximum speed about four inches later. So for the remaing 50 or so inches the blade was moving at full speed gumming up the cut. We ended up using my japanese pull saw to finish all the panels, it was faster, smoother and required less cleanup.

The variable orbital action does what it says. Lots of orbital action for splintered, fast cuts. No orbital for slow, splintered cuts. And right in the middle for sort of fast splintered cuts.

I haven’t tried the adjustable base yet but I can imagine some new sort of frustration will result.

This tool is of such poor construction that it fails at even the most basic task it has been designed for.

I can’t state how crappy I believe this tool to be. I plan on using it for some fiberglass cutting before fishing season which destroys any jig saw in short order. Though I’m sure even then it will frustrate.

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#1 posted 01-20-2008 11:07 AM

Doesn’t look heavy enough to use as a boat anchor, although it has a nice place to tie the rope.

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

#2 posted 01-20-2008 12:15 PM

thanks for the review!!

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)

View mrtrim's profile

mrtrim

#3 posted 01-20-2008 03:10 PM

hope you keep buying those black and decker tools , im really enjoying your reviews ! lol great job

View Woodturner's profile

Woodturner

#4 posted 01-20-2008 04:53 PM

If you bought it at a reputable store, they should take it back, at least for store credit

-- Greg from Blaine, MN

#5 posted 01-20-2008 05:03 PM

Unfortunately I don’t think any reputable stores sell B&D :)

View WoodWright's profile

WoodWright

#6 posted 01-22-2008 11:58 PM

Black & Decker OWNS Delta, Porter Cable, DeWalt, etc., but these are NOT all one company in terms of engineering etc. B & D has famously been trash for decades by now, although it started out with reasonably good quality, WAY back when. Nothing B & D is suitable for use—go either P-C or DeWalt, and if I understand correctly there may be two grades of DeWalt, so ask first.

Skil is another good choice for the few tools they still make, if you can find them—they are now OWNED by Bosch but are not Bosch.

I didn’t think anyone fluent in English was still unaware that B & D is garbage, but since I was wrong, they all thank you for the heads-up!

I’m just annoyed that any American company would stoop so low, but it is what it is.

View Dadoo's profile

Dadoo

#7 posted 01-24-2008 01:37 PM

I too have had a B&D Jigsaw (a 20 y/o, much older version)...it was extermely noisy and ran at only one speed. I could get more accurate cuts with a demolition (Sawzall) saw than this B&D. But it still works. I bought a new Craftsman Pro version and gave the B&D to my son.

-- Bob Vila would be so proud of you!

View Zuki's profile

Zuki

#8 posted 01-25-2008 12:46 AM

You gotta love the honesty in these reviews

-- BLOG - http://www.colorfulcanary.com/search/label/Zuki

#9 posted 01-25-2008 03:03 AM

So kind of you Dadoo to pass along those heirloom tools to your son :)

#10 posted 01-25-2008 04:08 AM

I think I’ll go buy a BD Jig Saw. A need something to be mad about.

View sharad's profile

sharad

#11 posted 02-28-2008 08:06 PM

A very outspoken review.
Sharad

-- “If someone feels that they had never made a mistake in their life, then it means they have never tried a new thing in their life”.-Albert Einstein

View Chelios's profile

Chelios

#12 posted 02-11-2010 05:51 AM

I had to buy a BD jigsaw once. It was Sunday night and everything was closed except walmart. I needed to finish that night and so I went for it. It is a piece of crap. The blade wonders, the base comes off square through the cuts. I ended up cutting everything with a coping saw that night. As for the jigsaw, I gave it to my wife because she likes cutting shapes in some cardboard thin plywood for her crafts projects.

It is a tool that is poorly designed and poorly manufactured. I hope the engineering, design and mfg departments that produced this piece of crap read this sometime. They should all feel embarrased.

#13 posted 02-11-2010 05:52 AM

One star is a big number for blake and decker.

View Jeison's profile

Jeison

#14 posted 02-11-2010 05:54 AM

I started out with all B&D tools (got em cheap when I worked at Kmart) the only one I have yet to replace is the jigsaw (have an older model than this) I keep putting it off because I just don’t use it that much, but every time i have to reach for it, I start whining “oh why didnt I get a new jigsaw instead of insert name of latest shiny toy here

I’ll be glad to get rid of that piece of #$%^&*&^%$#$%^&

-- - Jei, Rockford IL - When in doubt, spray it with WD-40 and wrap it with duct tape. The details will attend to themselves.

View Tyrone D's profile

Tyrone D

#15 posted 02-20-2012 10:18 AM

My father bought this Jigsaw, obviously without any research. It definitely sucks as much as you’ve described. I could see a carpenter or plumber using this to cut out holes in the floor or for doing form work.

-- --Tyrone - BC, Canada "Nothing is ever perfect, we just run out of time."