Veritas Mk.II Power Sharpening System Quick Review - VIDEO

Review by mot posted 01-13-2008 05:40 PM 10287 views 1 time favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Veritas Mk.II Power Sharpening System Quick Review - VIDEO No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hi Folks,

As promised, a quick tour of the Veritas Mk.II Sharpening System. In the video I seem to use back bevel and micro bevel interchangeably. This is a mistake and is due to doing these videos at 1am when I should be ”sawing logs,” in bed. However, here it is…

Cheers!

-- You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation. (Plato)

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#1 posted 01-13-2008 05:45 PM

Great video and great sharpening system.

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

#2 posted 01-13-2008 05:46 PM

Hi Tom;

I think it’s time I look for a forum that doesn’t have so many smart people on it. LOL

Again, great job.

I’ll bet I could bypass that “idiot proof” setup! (I’m smart).

Great information.

Lee

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

#3 posted 01-13-2008 06:21 PM

Good show!

How much does this tool cost?

#4 posted 01-13-2008 06:44 PM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the comments. The tool is in the $400 neighborhood. It’s not inexpensive. Had it not worked so well, it would have gone back for sure. However, I still have it.

View furnitologist's profile

furnitologist

#5 posted 01-13-2008 07:57 PM

Hey Tom…...perfect information.

I realize this depends on use, but how many disc’s do you think you’ll need, just the 4 sides(?), and are the disc abrasives self adhesive and are they easy to put on and take off. How does that work????

Really good….......Neil

#6 posted 01-13-2008 08:49 PM

Hi Neil,

I actually use the 4 discs, plus a felt wheel that I charge with honing compound. The abrasives are self adhesive and are easy to apply. I havn’t tried replacing them yet, so I can’t answer to how hard they are to take off.

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

#7 posted 01-13-2008 11:21 PM

n
ice job as usual Tom.
When your done most folks can pretty much make a qualified decision.

Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View Zuki's profile

Zuki

#8 posted 01-14-2008 01:35 AM

Geeze . . . talk about a must have. You made it look easy Tom.

-- BLOG - http://www.colorfulcanary.com/search/label/Zuki

View CharlieK's profile

CharlieK

#9 posted 01-19-2008 07:52 PM

I bought the Veritas Mk.II Sharpening System about 3 years ago and NEVER LOOKED BACK! It is so much easier than using stones or plate glass and sandpaper that there is just no comparison. I also have some experience with Tormek and the Veritas is head and shoulders better than the Tormek, too. The Worksharp looks like a viable contender, but I really can’t say because I have never used the Worksharp system.

The Veritas is really great for chisels and plane irons. I did make an accessory jig to make it easier for sharpening carving tools. The only negitive that I have found with this type of system is that it’s hard to sharpen both sides of a knife, but that is just not that big of a deal for me.

-- Adjustable Height Workbench Plans http://www.Jack-Bench.com

View KBC's profile

KBC

#10 posted 12-29-2008 01:00 AM

Tom,I liked the video,what A great way to show the ease of the tool!

Great job(especially since it was a 1 AM shoot)

I am getting into the tool sharpening business(as I have always been an extremest when it comes to keeping the tools sharp)And this really helps to understand the simplicity of the tool.

Thanks for the info.

-- Ken, Northern Illinois,kbcmtndewman40@yahoo.com

View stefan1's profile

stefan1

1 post in 2085 days

#11 posted 01-01-2009 09:09 PM

Great video and some good followup comments …very informative. I am thinking of buying a sharpening system but am still sitting on the fence. I am getting a wee bit tired of the never ending freehand sharpening and honing using stones and leather strops (...with the lack of consistent bevels). I am leaning towards the Veritas MKII (over the WS3000 or Tormek).

How is the Veritas system for sharpening skew chisels, knives, V parting tools and various gouges (#3 to #11)? From what I can tell – these tools need to be sharpened freehand. Any comments on freehand sharpening on the Veritas system?

I am a wanna be wood carver who has been hacking and gouging away for several years – I greatly appreciate really sharp tools and I want to up my game with sharper more consistent edged and beveled tools. What are the prevailing thoughts on using Veritas for sharpening gouges?

#12 posted 01-01-2009 10:53 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the new comments.

Stefan1, I’m not really the guy to talk to about sharpening carving gouges. I do NO free handed sharpening with this system. I only use it to sharpen bench chisels and plane irons. Sorry.

Tom

View Islandguy's profile

Islandguy

25 posts in 2086 days

#13 posted 02-01-2009 03:25 AM

Thanks for the video…i place my order today

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

#14 posted 03-09-2010 02:54 AM

Is the video not online any more?

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View DennyJD's profile

DennyJD

4 posts in 1918 days

#15 posted 03-09-2010 04:01 AM

I looked for this video about 8 months ago and it was not there at that time. I did however purchase a Veritas Sharpening System. I can say that it works well and can sharpen chisels or plane irons quickly. However, it will sharpen a plane iron with a straight edge and not rounded or cambered, which is what you need for a good smoother. It also will heat up the blade rather quickly. I haven’t “colored” any tools yet. I find that I prefer the use of my regular bench grinder and only use this if I need to “reset” or “redesign” a bevel.

-- Denny