Henry taylor carving tools

Review by markswoodcraft posted 09-29-2012 03:34 PM 3253 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Henry taylor carving tools No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Right off the bat, i will say these aren’t as good as the Pfiel chisels. They are however a very high quality set made in England, and at a very reasonable price. I got this set of 6 tools from lee valley a few months ago for about $140. I definitely recommend these tools to any beginning carver, like myself. It came with all 5/16 or 1/4 inch tools, so they aren’t very big chisels. There is a #1, #3, #5, #6, #7 fishtail, #8 and a 60 degree v-tool . Before I bought this set, I went out and bought a large pfiel #3 gouge, to make it easier to rough out the background. This is a great set and I thank henry taylor for putting this together. The tools are also made a little smaller than the regular ones, which makes them a little bit cheaper, about $20 per tool, instead of $30 per tool. 2 hits i will give these is that they aren’t very sharp out of the box, and they are prone to rust in high humidity environments, i speak from experience. It also comes with a basswood block, an extra bonus.
Look into lee valley’s website for the specs
Recommend these to anybody looking to getting into carving.

Comments or questions welcome

Thanks For looking,
Mark

View markswoodcraft's profile

markswoodcraft

View scottdaddy's profile

scottdaddy

#1 posted 11-07-2012 05:00 PM

I will have to check then out. Thank you!

-- It's when they don't show their prices that you know they may be trying to rip you off.

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#2 posted 11-07-2012 06:26 PM

Although most of my carving tools are Swiss Made. I have some Henry Taylor tools and I really do like them as well.

helluvawreck aka Charles

View DanTreshal's profile

DanTreshal

#3 posted 05-28-2014 02:32 PM

I agree Pfiel are far better tools, the quality is consistent and they arrive sharp. HT are not what they used to be.