Veritas dovetail saw (14 TPI rip)

Review by Purrmaster posted 09-29-2012 07:39 AM 5001 views 0 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Veritas dovetail saw (14 TPI rip) No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve had this saw for a few months now. I picked it up at Woodcraft after bashing my head against the wall with some other saws that were dubbed dovetail saws.

The saw I am talking about specifically is the 14 teeth per inch saw with a rip cutting profile.

The bottom line is: This is a great saw. It cuts smoothly and cleanly. And quickly. It’s easier to saw to a line with this saw than any other saw I’ve used. The teeth are sharp and set correctly. It’s a western push saw so the saw can be sharpened when the time comes.

The handle is comfortable to hold and puts one’s hand in just the right position. It gives me a good grip and an easy, comfortable place to put my index finger to stabilize the saw. The saw blade is rock steady and doesn’t bend. The saw itself is surprisingly light. Probably because the spine of the saw is a composite of materials rather than metal.

I’ve had a little difficulty getting cuts started for the first few strokes but no more than any other handsaw I’ve used.

It works well for cutting (short) tenons too.

And $70.00 is a good price for a saw of this quality. If you have a need for a dovetail saw, this is worth picking up.

View BerBer5985's profile

BerBer5985

#1 posted 09-29-2012 02:04 PM

I agree with the above statements! I bought the set of small saws which is this dovetail saw, a crosscut saw, and 20 tpi rip cut saw (which I’ve yet to find a great use for yet) and learned to cut dovetails on. it works well being that it’s heavy, and grip works for me and it’s sharp. I bought a lie neilsen thin plate dovetail saw as an “upgrade” and I must say that this is just as good or better of a saw, especially for the price. I actually have made better dovetails with this say than I do my lie neilsen. Am i bashing the LN saw, heck no because it’s a beautiful saw and cuts great, but I wouldn’t say any better than this saw. It inspired me to buy the set of LV carcass saws which are also great for the money and a good size for most smaller joinery. I would put this dovetail saw up against the best in the business in regards to quality of dovetails and I think you’d be pleasantly surprised. Good review!

-- Greg, Owner, Quality Carpet One, www.qualitycarpetonecrofton.com

View felkadelic's profile

felkadelic

#2 posted 09-29-2012 06:35 PM

Like BerBer, I first bought the dovetail saws and quickly upgraded to the tenon saws for larger work. I find that the tenon saws are my go-to saws, even for situations when the dovetail saws would be suitable.

#3 posted 09-30-2012 12:09 AM

I don’t think Veritas makes a tenon saw. Please feel free to correct me.

View felkadelic's profile

felkadelic

#4 posted 09-30-2012 01:59 AM

My apologies, I misspoke. This is the saw I was referring to:

View nwbusa's profile

nwbusa

#5 posted 09-30-2012 02:18 AM

Time for LV to start making tenon and panel saws, IMO…

Thanks for the review. I agree, I enjoy using my LV dovetail and carcass saws. Great quality tools.

-- John, BC, Canada

View Straightbowed's profile

Straightbowed

#6 posted 09-30-2012 03:50 AM

yep I just bought one but dont have a clue about cuttin dovetails but I guess I be learnin

-- Stevo, work in tha city woodshop in the country

View Kreegan's profile

Kreegan

#7 posted 09-30-2012 10:08 PM

Veritas does not make tenon saws. They make a couple of carcass saws, which might be what he’s talking about. I also bought the 3 saw set with this dovetail saw, the crosscut saw and the finer toothed dovetail saw. I love them! I’m really seeing improvement with my sawing in general and with dovetails specifically. They are a great value.

Rich;)

View Joshuah's profile

Joshuah

#8 posted 10-01-2012 03:07 AM

I have this same saw and I think it is great! The first dovetails I tried were by some of those “dovetail saws” you talked of…absolute crap! Good saws make a world of a difference.

-- -Joshuah

View lumberjoe's profile

lumberjoe

#9 posted 10-02-2012 07:34 PM

At 70.00 I may have to try this out. I am also very frustrated with my current dovetail saw and was considering going much more expensive than this. I actually cut one dovetail a day and have been doing so for about 5 weeks. The ability to follow a straight line is the secret to hand cut dovetails. With my current saw, it is tough to do so due to the mechanical effort needed to bite into the wood.

Thanks for the review!

-- www.etsy.com/shop/KandJWoodCrafts

View Mosquito's profile

Mosquito

#10 posted 10-02-2012 08:27 PM

I would also like to see Veritas making Tenon and Panel saws… I have a LN crosscut panel saw, and it’s great, but I bought it used, and don’t want to fork out the $225+shipping for a rip panel saw… I’ve also been looking at tenon saws from various makers as well…

Great review, thanks :-) I had thought about picking up one of these for a small tenon/joinery saw. So far I’ve just been using my LN dovetail saw for everything.

-- Mos - Twin Cities, MN -- Stanley #45 Evangelist - www.youtube.com/MosquitoMods

#11 posted 10-05-2012 11:26 PM

I haven’t tried the LN saws (too expensive). But everything I’ve heard about them is that they are fantastic, like of all LN stuff. I’d be curious to see a head to head between Veritas and LN. I suspect it would be a draw in many cases.

That being said, I’d so love to have one of the LN bronze block planes.

View Straightbowed's profile

Straightbowed

#12 posted 10-09-2012 02:42 AM

yes I have used mine finally and cut my 1st dovetails in a practice board they lined up thats all I can say about that. need lots of practice but dovetails are fun when you mark them rite lots to learn

-- Stevo, work in tha city woodshop in the country

View WoodworkGuy's profile

WoodworkGuy

#13 posted 11-08-2012 04:23 PM

Lee Valley is a really innovative company, who designs and sell high-quality products, reasonably priced.

-- Making sawdust and memories through woodworking.

View OggieOglethorpe's profile

OggieOglethorpe

#14 posted 11-08-2012 08:12 PM

I have Lie-Nielsen saws, and I like them lots.

I’ve tried these saws, belonging to a local school, and they’re impressive. To me, they felt great in my hand, tracked great, and cut cleanly. These saws are a bargain, and I highly recommend them on a regular basis.

View startingfromscratch's profile

startingfromscratch

#15 posted 01-02-2013 02:10 AM

Dunno if anyone will see this, but I’m fixing to get a couple of these saws this weekend at a local wood working show.

Folks recommend the 14tpi dovetail to start learning dovetails with?

Is the carcass saw a good option for cutting tenons by hand?