How to make money selling your work as a Artisan

Review by Tom Godfrey posted 09-28-2012 07:04 PM 2505 views 3 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
How to make money selling your work as a Artisan No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Want to review a book that I just purchased a few days ago. It’s called “Artisans & Money”, written by Joe Rollins.
Some of you may remember me posting a review of his lathe cutting tools and as of today I have had 1146 views with 7 comments. Not sure if any of you ordered any of these tools but if you are starting out in wood turning or even if you have been turning for years I still feel this is one of the best investments you can make. Why? Great product at a lower price than other seem to offer. Still want you to visit his web site and check it out for your self. www.thingswestern.com

Back to the book. I just happen to come across the book while visiting Joe & Janet web site. The word money got my eye. Most everyone I know likes money. I know I do and most everyone that is an Artisan needs money in order to continue being an Artisan. IF you don’t happen to know what Artisan means don’t feel bad. I didn’t either until I read this book.

The cost of the book is 18 dollars with a 7 dollar shipping cost. That comes to 25 dollars. I got my 25 dollars worth by things I was able to learn from Joe, within a couple of chapters I went and made changes to my web site. I plan on making several other changes based on reading this book. I plan on start making money based on reading this book.

Is it for you? That I can’t say for sure but if you are an Artisan and just being on this site tells me you are. then this book is written for you.
Do you want to make money or more money? Then this book is for you.
Do you own a web site to sell your products? Then this book is for you.
Do you sell on Ebay or Etsy or any site? Then this book is for you. I could go on and on but no reason to do that. Now it’s up to you to check this book out. Wish I had gotten one a long time ago.
Thanks for viewing and if you purchase this book would like to hear from you and let me know if it has helped you.

Thomas Godfrey

View patron's profile

patron

13104 posts in 2032 days

#1 posted 09-29-2012 02:26 AM

thanks tom

will have to check it out

after SS each month
to cover survival

i need to find a way to have some
‘project money’
to keep the shop working

View harry1's profile

harry1

#2 posted 09-29-2012 02:53 AM

I do hope that it works for you Thomas, but do bear in mind that you are competing with cheap Chinese items, many of which look quite respectable so find out what people in your part of the world want and what sort of prices they are prepared to pay.

-- Harry, Western Australia

#3 posted 09-29-2012 11:22 AM

Harry where as I agree with you about the Chinese market. based on this book Joe gives advice as to handle these kind of problems. Joe started with nothing, just getting by with little to feed his family and pay household expenses. Based on the book his annual income is now 500 to 750 thousand dollars a year. Now bear in mind this is a man that has been doing this for years and still works in his shop. He is a hands on man and from what I can figure out his wife is also a big part of making his business grow.
I believe every word of what he is saying and really admire him as a person and example what we as Artisan can do if we put our mind to it.
One point he made and I really like the idea was to not make every thing we do so perfect. Let our customers know this is from a real person not a machine doing the work. Let people know about you and make it personal so they can connect the product to you as a Artiasan.
If you happen to watch a TV shop called Antique Road Show you will see they love to see hammer marks, or something to that effect, so it shows it was created by a real person.
This is something I think we all should think of in our effort to make everything perfect.
Just my opinion. I dont buy anythng that has made in China on it. It may look good but it’s cheap junk and I think most people know that.

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#4 posted 09-29-2012 12:44 PM

In the guitar business, unfortunately everything has to be perfect. And “relic’ed” guitars are a niche market, and actually it is a very hard finish to get on right.

The Asian market has come a long, long ways, but people still do appreciate things Made In The USA, and I hope it only gets to be a bigger market.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View Jorge G.'s profile

Jorge G.

#5 posted 09-29-2012 04:06 PM

I don’t know, I am always skeptical about books and courses that promise you will make thousands, so without a more in depth review I am just going to tell you not to get your hopes up. Do no think your road to riches will be done by selling on E bay or Etsy pens, cutting boards, key chains etc.

Can it be done? Of course, look at Thos Moser, the guy makes a good living and actually has some very reasonable prices for his quality furniture. If the book is recommending restores, forget it, unless you are very experienced you will loose money on them.

I wish you success, and hope the book is all you claim it to be.

-- To surrender a dream leaves life as it is — and not as it could be.

#6 posted 09-29-2012 05:10 PM

JGM0658 I agree with you that most books are designed just to get you to spend a certain amount of money and etc. Joe didn’t ask me to review this book and most likely he doesn’t care one way or the other if you or anyone buys the book. I am sure he would like to make as much money as possible on this book but this isnt how he makes a living. I was just passing on to my fellow LJ members a book that I felt was worth the time and money to buy. I know I have asked several times on this site other members how to do this and how to do that and a lot of those questions had to do with how to make money.
The book is a great outline for people like myself who may be able to take a piece of wood make something useful and sometime beautiful but I will be the first one to admit I am not a sallesman. I can buy something for a hundred and i would come out good if I could give it away. The book is about his life, how he came from nothing to having more money than he needs.
I for one dont want to get rich, have no desire to get rich but I do want to be able to sell things i make just to keep my hobby going. As you know it takes a lot of money to operate a shop.
Now if you buy the book or not or if anyone buys the book or not I really dont care, as I said I was passing on something that I think other should look at. I appreciate when other LJ members alert me to something they feel is good, bad, or for that matter, cheap, cost to much and etc.

View Grumpymike's profile

Grumpymike

#7 posted 09-30-2012 10:05 PM

Hi Tom,
I kind of agree with JGM on being skeptical … I had a close friend that bought into one of the “get rich in Real Estate” courses … Well after alot of wasted time and effort, a year later this guy came back to town to sell some more courses … My pal confronted him directly and asked “how much money have YOU made using this method” ... His reply was very honest, he said” I don’t buy nor sell Real Estate, I sell informational courses”.
So my first question would be “Has Joe Rollings used this method to improve sales at his store? Or is he a guy in a think tank with some ‘maybe’ good but unproven Ideas?
Thanks for your post and review, If I ever see this at one of the woodworker stores or shows I will take a look.

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it. ... Surprise Az.

View Mark Davisson's profile

Mark Davisson

501 posts in 2008 days

#8 posted 10-02-2012 07:47 PM

Tom:

What’s the most valuable thing that stands out most in your mind as something you learned from the book?

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

#9 posted 10-02-2012 11:26 PM

Hi Mark and thanks for asking that question. When I first read the question a lot of different things came to mind but you wanted the most valuable thing. There are a lot of things that stand out but I believe the most valuable was I learned that anyone can make a decent living from being an Artisan if first you have the talent and I believe I have that. The second most important thing was to believe in yourself and what you do and put a value on it and stick with it. I am sure that we will never be able to sell out product at a price that China or some other county can but we must keep in mind what we do isn’t some cheap made product.
That being said the book covers a lot of subjects and I see where you are doing some web site work and yes the book covers the use of web site and how to better your business by having a web site. Really to much for me to cover.
The book has 15 chapter. Here are some of the chapters that I really liked. Starting with nothing, The driving force, wholesaling, Taking it to the street, E-Commerce, your craft, TIme, Finishing. I think i got the most from these chapters but I enjoyed reading all of them. The book is well written, with 96 pages and believe it or not the letters are big enough that I can see and read them without hurting my eyes.

View Mark Davisson's profile

Mark Davisson

501 posts in 2008 days

#10 posted 10-03-2012 11:48 AM

That’s a great response, Tom! It gives me much to think about.

Thank you!

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

View Straightbowed's profile

Straightbowed

#11 posted 10-04-2012 02:16 AM

from what I have seen if you build somethin unique and have a few variations of the same thing you can aquire a certain you might say clientel like the guy in finewoodworkin that builds the Ax Handle chair with the pitchfork back and old steel seat that is unique

-- Stevo, work in tha city woodshop in the country

View ErikF's profile

ErikF

#12 posted 11-06-2012 01:19 PM

Where did you purchase this book?

-- Power to the people.

#13 posted 11-06-2012 01:40 PM

I think that information is given in my review but just in case go to this web site. www.thingswestern.com.
Hope this answers your question.
Thanks