Dylos DC1100 PRO with Serial Interface: Evaluation and Testing

Review by djg posted 673 days ago 1996 views 1 time favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dylos DC1100 PRO with Serial Interface:  Evaluation and Testing Dylos DC1100 PRO with Serial Interface:  Evaluation and Testing Dylos DC1100 PRO with Serial Interface:  Evaluation and Testing Click the pictures to enlarge them

The DC1100 PRO (with Serial Interface) is a true laser particle counter with the ability to count particulate mater suspended the air. There are two size ranges for the PRO model: between 0.5 and 2.5 microns, and greater than 2.5 microns. Several models are available but I felt that for a woodworking shop the stuff less than 2.5 microns was the most important particulate to measure since it is probably the most dangerous.

This was purchased through a group buy offered by the Canadian woodworking forum. Dylos was great to deal with. Shipping was prompt and since it was made in the USA, I didn’t have to pay any duty. I did have to pay tax. The total cost with shipping and taxes included was about $285. It was packed in a large box with plenty of packing and bubble wrap. The UPS guy could have kicked it down the street and it wouldn’t have been damaged. I was pleased with the unit. Its plug and play. Just plug it in and it starts counting.

To evaluate the unit, I carried out some real world testing. First I ran the unit in my shop for some time connected to my linux box via serial cable logging data directly to the computer. In the first plot, the side entrance to the shop had been closed for a day and it was fairly dry in the shop but the humidity outside was 100%. The door was open about 20 minute or so and then the particle count increased dramatically. It appears that the meter may be sensitive to small water droplets in the air but I am still unsure about that. I had similar results inside my home which seems to point to humidity being the culprit. The next day, the humidity was gond and the ambient particle count dropped to normal levels. The particle counts towards the end of the first plot are similar to the air in my home and outside. This is a pretty good indicator that the air inside my shop is clean when there is no air moving or wood being cut.

The second plot is interesting. The particle counter is about 16’ from my bench. I reset the counter and started from scratch. Started the jigsaw and cut for about 5-10 minutes. Since there were no air cleaners, vacuums or DCs turned on the air currents in the room were not influenced by any of those. Despite lack of driving air currents, the particle count rose significantly. The current plot shows the Dylos readings but to convert to cubic feet multiply by 100. THis means the particle count went from 20000 to 90000 just from the jigsaw creating dust being carried by the room air currents. About 15 minutes in to the experiment I turned on the air cleaner. Its a two stage home built air cleaner with a squirrel cage fan. It filters, 1 micron and the second filter has a MERV rating of 17. The particle count decreased to less than ambient readings in < 20 mins. This is good. My air cleaner is working. At 50 mins into the evaluation, I turned on the DC (G0440 2HP cyclone) and did some sanding with a spindle sander for about 20 minutes. The particle count continued to decrease. This is good news. It appears that my DC and aircleaner working together make my shop a safer environment to be in.

I love the Dylos meter. It was a great purchase and gives me peace of mind. I now know that my dust collection efforts have been worth it.

DJG

View bluejazz's profile

bluejazz

Thanks for a great review. While I can’t have the same warm and fuzzy feeling your direct measurements give you, this does confirm about what I expected.

I have a a Jet Filter I run all the time and it has similar specs as your home built unit, but as of yet I have no real dust control. When using power tools, I have been wearing a 3M full face mask for about 15-30 minutes during and after use. I never much liked wearing it, but this tells me I better keep it on. and maybe for longer than I have been.

-- I'm 56. In my mind, I still feel 26. Until I do something physical; then I feel 76.

djg

This is a nice little unit it does give me the warm and fuzzy feeling when I run it. I have spent 6 months tackling the dust collection issue and I feel that I can now have piece of mind that my efforts have been worth it.

View zzzzdoc's profile

zzzzdoc

I really like mine too. It’s been instructive.

What I really like is that now I know when it’s safe to take off my respirator.

-- Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

djg

It was well worth the money. A small purchase compared to my DC system and ducting but a very valuable tool in the quest for a safe shop.

View mbs's profile

mbs

Nice review and surprising results. I would imagine that the results could change significantly depending on the machine you’re running, the number of doors open in the shop where the air purifier is located in your shop…

-- Sorry the reply is so long. I didn't have time to write a short reply.

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

I have this as well; when I have my DC running the particle count in my shop is less than the particle count in my house. I don’t use an ambient air cleaner; I’ll just leave a blast gate open on my DC; I figure that with it moving 1500 CFM through a wide open gate and filtering it through a 0.3 micron filter it is better than any ambient air cleaner.

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil