Rockwell Model 28-200 14inch Bandsaw

Review by Crackerjak posted 09-26-2012 at 05:29 PM 4896 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rockwell Model 28-200 14inch Bandsaw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Recently acquired this Bandsaw at an Estate sale for $40. It is missing the top cover, fence bar and the circle metal plate insert. It’s been quite the work horse for resawing Ash wood.

View lab7654's profile

lab7654

#1 posted 09-26-2012 at 05:42 PM

Looks like a solid saw. I would replace that top cover, though, even if you have to make your own out of wood. Just curious, does it sprinkle dust all over without the cover? It seems like it might.

-- Tristin King -- When in doubt, sand it.

View MedicKen's profile

MedicKen

1599 posts in 2099 days

#2 posted 09-27-2012 at 06:14 AM

That is an early to mid-seventies model 28-200. The wheel covers are easily found on the BOYD section of owwm. They come up for sale quite frequently. The fence rails will be a little more difficult to find. I have the same saw but an earlier version, mine is the open stand and has the fully cast upper arm, not the skeletonized one. I have an original fence and it does leave one wanting more. You might consider looking into an aftermarket fence, such as a Kreg, if you are serious about using it on a regular basis.
Rockwell/Delta began to “value” engineer their machines beginning in the mid 70’s, as evidenced by the upper arm in your saw. Some were OK and others were really bad. It sounds like you may have one of the good ones.

-- My job is to give my kids things to discuss with their therapist....medic20447@gmail.com

#3 posted 09-27-2012 at 10:53 AM

Lab7654: Yes! There is dust everywhere. After just an hour it appeared that my hair color changed from brown to blonde. I may have to make a cover until I can find a replacement part.

MedicKen: Thanks for info! I’ve been curious to find out more about it. I just created an owwm account last night with the hope of finding parts for the bandsaw. Thank you! I have a Rockwell/ Delta tablesaw from the late 70’s but I figured this had to be older since it was just Rockwell.

View Surfside's profile

Surfside

#4 posted 09-27-2012 at 11:57 AM

Cool! That’s a skeleton band saw! ;)

View MedicKen's profile

MedicKen

1599 posts in 2099 days

#5 posted 10-12-2012 at 09:53 AM

Here are the covers you were looking for

#6 posted 10-26-2012 at 03:18 PM

Yeah, I didn’t get the covers in time. I’ll have to stalk the site some more. Last weekend I just had a Timber wolf 3/4” -93 1/2” blade break on me. It busted right on the weld.. Talk about scary. I’d love to find some rails for the fence here.