Great Machine, Even Better Service

Review by lab7654 posted 694 days ago 4479 views 1 time favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Machine, Even Better Service Great Machine, Even Better Service No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this machine in July when CPO started running them on sale for $400. I was originally going to get the 8” version, but it wasn’t on sale and with the sale price of the 10” one, it was only $30 less. The 10” one comes with a stand, so even with the extra $30 you are probably paying the same. Anyway, I set it up at home as soon as I got it (first picture) and brought it to my cabin later that week. Upon the first start up, it made a rumbling noise when it shut down. I didn’t think much of it at the time. When I ran the first board (3/4” edge joint, taking two 1/32” passes) through the jointer, however, I heard a sudden loud clicking noise when it powered down. I took the pulley cover off to reveal the planer roller drive chain had fallen off. I got it back on, but it kept happening. At this point, I couldn’t really gauge its performance with the few cuts I had taken. I sent it back to CPO (details here) and got a brand new one within the same week. Very happy on both JET and CPO’s part in this.

The machine performs very well in my opinion. The 10” jointer capacity is phenomenal, and the motor has plenty of power for it if you take light passes. I haven’t checked it with feeler gauges yet, but the coplanarity of the tables seems acceptable. The fence is also satisfactory, without warp. These two things are the most commonly complained about, so either JET reads reviews and is cracking down on this, or I got lucky. The planer does a nice job as well, but you really have to follow the guideline of taking only 1/16” off. If you try to take more, the cutterhead grabs the board a little and cocks it sideways. This hasn’t affected cut quality, but it seems like it would be a potential hazard. Another thing, don’t try to set the depth of cut from the infeed side of the planer, do it from the outfeed side. On the infeed side there is a row of sharp, grabby anti-kickback fingers that will grab onto your board when you try to remove it. You will not get it out without marring the heck out of your board. I kind of like the fingers, as it ensures safety, but just be aware of them. Overall cut quality is very good for both modes so far, even with only two knives. We’ll see how it is when the knives some miles on them, as I have heard they are disposable.

So, bottom line: I love this machine. It finally gives me the capacity I need for a very reasonable price. I would recommend it to people like me, who would use this moderately. It really isn’t a heavy-use production machine, but contractors who have the occasional need would find it helpful as well.

Hindsight edit: I didn’t cover the issue of snipe in the review, probably because it is so minimal that it slipped my mind. On the planer, the depth is controlled by adjusting the table, rather than the cutterhead. I think this has something to do with it. It also has a lock knob to cut down on what little snipe there is, but I tend not to use it. That being said, what snipe there is can be evened out with some 80 grit if the dimension isn’t vital.

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

Thanks for the review… I have been seriously considering it for my very small shop. I have bounced it around due to the inconsistent reviews… the love/hate relationships. And, I was wondering if I would be lucky enough to get one set up correctly out of the box.

appreciate you taking the time to review… I found it very helpful.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

View rodneyh's profile

rodneyh

I have the 8” version and absolutely hate it. The tables are far too short for jointing any board longer than about 5’. Snipe is extremely bad. It was (by far) the loudest tool in my shop. It collects dust now as both functions it performed have been replaced in my shop.

View Puffin's profile

Puffin

I’m with dustal, thank you for the review. I’ve been leery of this machine based on the negative reviews. However, like you said it seems like a great machine for the price and would be a welcome addition to my shop. Hopefully, jet had begun to address these issues and your machine indicates the beginning of a better production run.

Lastly, if you do get a chance to fine tune the co-planarity(is this a word? lol) let us know what you think of the process and what kind of results you were able to get.

Thanks again.

lab7654

Thanks for the comments. Rodney, I expected a lot of snipe from the planer, but to my pleasant surprise there is very little, and what is there can be easily sanded if need be. Did you adjust the planer outfeed extension properly, with the back of it raised ever so slightly?

View Straightbowed's profile

Straightbowed

Im lookin for a jointer but will not be buyin one of these I want some weight and brawn and something that I can just replace the motor on and thats all my worries but Im glad you like the machine and I hope it works the wood like you want

-- Stevo, work in tha city woodshop in the country

lab7654

I’m sure I’ll eventually want to upgrade to a solid floor model, but for now this is a great entry-level tool for me. Appreciate the comment.

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

I just noticed… I’m working in the garage… and I have my current Delta bench top planer sitting on the same furniture mover I picked up at Harbor Freight. Except it just stays there and I use it as is… then roll it away… If I got the Jet unit, I would need something with wheels…

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...