My First New Tool For New Shop - What is it?

Review by ND2ELK posted 04-03-2008 06:42 AM 2910 views 4 times favorited 31 comments Add to Favorites Watch
My First New Tool For New Shop - What is it? My First New Tool For New Shop - What is it? My First New Tool For New Shop - What is it? Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought a solid oak cabinet at the prison industries auction 2 years ago. I brought it home and hung it in the garage. I am starting to clean out the garage where my new shop is going to go. I was taking the screws out of a brace on the bottom of the cabinet. While holding on to a 2 X 4 fastened on the side of the cabinet, it felt like it moved. I got to looking and this is what I found. It is a Prison Shank!!!!! You figure out what it could layout.

View GaryK's profile

#1 posted 04-03-2008 06:51 AM

Well, at least you didn’t find it in someones back!

View ChicoWoodnut's profile

#2 posted 04-03-2008 07:02 AM

Now that is scary! It looks like it has been there a while too.

-- Scott - Chico California

View Pretzel's profile

#3 posted 04-03-2008 07:17 AM

sharpened butter knife, now days plastic forks sharpened to a point, broken off where a person is stabbed. very hard to stop bleeding.

-- Pretzel L8agn

View cajunpen's profile

#4 posted 04-03-2008 12:14 PM

Now you just have to hope that the previous owner doesn’t find out that you got his shanki :-)). If those guys would put that much effort into honest efforts, the world would be better off. I always get a kick out of the guys that bring their knives to my gun fight.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased."

View teenagewoodworker's profile

#5 posted 04-03-2008 12:19 PM

wow, that is scary. i’m happy i’ve never some across one of those before.

View dlcarver's profile

#6 posted 04-03-2008 12:52 PM

It’s a letter opener! :- )

-- Dave Leitem,Butler,Pa.,

View JasonH's profile

#7 posted 04-03-2008 12:57 PM

Crazy find!!

-- Living on the square...

View Dadoo's profile

#8 posted 04-03-2008 01:11 PM

Inventive aren’t they? I’ll have to show this to my step-son. He’s a Corrections Officer!

-- Bob Vila would be so proud of you!

View Ad Marketing Guy - Bill's profile

Ad Marketing Guy - Bill

#9 posted 04-03-2008 01:45 PM

WOW- that is an intriguing story- It reveals quite a bit about the dangers that existed in your former job! If those prisoners could have devoted that ingenuity to legitimate work, they never would have been in prison.

Thanks for posting that is a great story I will be passing around !

The Real Concern- hope you did not overpay for that cabinet- :)

-- Bill - - Ad-Marketing Guy, Ramsey NJ

View FJPetruso's profile

#10 posted 04-03-2008 02:54 PM

Ya Know… that kinda reminds me about a fellow who built a gun cabinet in a doorway to hide a whole room!!!!! You never know what you can find in an antique. I wouldn’t remove the tape but if you have a friend that works around an X-ray machine, it would be interesting to see what’s under the handle.

-- Frank, Florissant, Missouri "The New Show-Me Woodshop"

#11 posted 04-03-2008 04:15 PM

I taught them will Frank! Too bad they didn’t use there talents in a better way. I am just glad I fond it and not someone else on the street with kids. You can shave with it!

View dalec's profile

#12 posted 04-03-2008 04:45 PM

We are fortunate to not have had to be in a situation where someone feels a shank is a necessity. It’s a little creepy.

#13 posted 04-03-2008 05:48 PM

Dale :
It is bad enough when a person has to go to prison but then these fools keep trying to kill each other. There is a definite pecking order within a predator environment. I feel so sorry for these young kids that comes into a place like this.

Francisco Luna :
The 2 X 4 did had a pivot screw covered with putty and painted over. All they had to do was break the paint joint and it could be pulled forward.

View Douglas Bordner's profile

Douglas Bordner

#14 posted 04-03-2008 05:53 PM

Gives me the SHIV-ers. Some how in my travels I picked up one of these (I can’t remember where I got it) that had been made from a piece of tubing that had been forged flat at one end and crudely sharped. This one is much better.

-- "Bordnerizing" perfectly good lumber for over a decade.

#15 posted 04-03-2008 06:15 PM

Like I said Douglas I trained them will. A tooth brush is a favorite weapon. Heat it and shape the handle into a blade before it cools. The worst one I fond in my career was a piece of flat steel, 1/4 X 2 X 20 sharpened on one edge with a wood handle. They had it hanging on a string with a paper clip in an old sewer pipe. The guy must of thought he could be a gladiator on the yard. That one made me swallow a little hard!