Thin kerf stacked dado... they don't have to start at 1/4"?

Review by joeyinsouthaustin posted 09-23-2012 10:45 PM 2129 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Thin kerf stacked dado... they don't have to start at 1/4"? No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I like this site so far, so why not try my hand at a review… As you can see from the picture I have used this blade…for a little more than 2 years. Every thing that can be said about forrest blades applies here. Expensive…Yes, I paid $340. Precision machining… Yes, the brazing is very, dare i say, sexy. Quality…Yes Top level c-4 superhard carbide. Flat bottoms and square walls. VERY. Durable, havn’t sharpened it yet, and don’t plan to any time soon. Sooo… Why do another forrest review.

Simply put the best thing about this set is it’s range is 1/8” to 5/16”!! I actually sets up a little under 1/8” if you put mics on it. I looked forever for a solution to my drawer box dado’s. Now I have a setup that does them tight, every time, and in one pass. And I have found so many uses in that 3/16” range that falls out side of the usuall 1/8” kerf, and the 1/4” where most dado sets start. The chipper mics out at 1/16” wide. I also love the magnetic shims. You can easily set up the blade using the micrometer before arboring up.

Drawbacks: Well… not alot but a few. One is, like all forrest blades, you have to return it to the maker for sharpening and repair, or lose the warranty. The other is that the printed label on the shims wears off. I am not quite good enough to eyeball the difference between .010 and .012 inches yet. Maybe someday.
The material they are made of tears easily, and has a tendency to stick to each other after prolonged use, and not magnetically. Finally.. this may be petty, but it didn’t come with a nice pretty case like some other blades I have purchased :(
Some reviews talk about 6” versus 8” based on depth of cut. I prefer 8” because the tooth speed is very helpful especially since the quality steel and teeth can handle it.
Use: 2 years plus in an industrial setting, mostly in russian birch ply and solid maple. I always use a blade dressing after each use before storage.

View Bob Kollman's profile

2 posts in 2060 days

#2 posted 09-24-2012 12:36 AM

Which dado set is this?

#3 posted 09-24-2012 04:38 AM

it’s range is 1/8” to 5/16”
That’s a lot of money for such a narrow range !

#4 posted 09-24-2012 01:45 PM

dCHITE: It is listed on the forrest website under the dado king section, under the heading special widths. They list it as 3/16” but I actually starts at 1/8” (Call them to confirm.) it looks like the price has gone down, or my price included the chipper.

Dusty56: I agree, but the blade is used in an industrial setting. I have another stacked set for larger sizes. Most people would just make 2 passes to bridge the gap between a standard kerf, and the 1/4” range. But in my setting one pass is money. I suppose based on some of the home saw purchases I have read about here, it may not be a lot of money for some folks to make one pass as well. :)

#5 posted 07-09-2014 08:04 PM

Update: I just sent this set off for sharpening…FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE I BOUGHT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!