Feature Loaded Tape Measure

Review by CueballRosendaul posted 674 days ago 1847 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Feature Loaded Tape Measure Feature Loaded Tape Measure Feature Loaded Tape Measure Click the pictures to enlarge them

When I die, everyone will say, “How many tape measures and flashlights does one guy need?!” Well, I’m sorry, but I carry these two items with me all day working and usually into the evening if I’m in the shop, so I’m always on the lookout. About two years ago I was in Johnson’s Workbench picking up some lumber and thinking about this huge trim project I was about to embark on while remodeling my house. Since we were already living here, the chop saw needed to remain down in the garage, so I was going to be running up and down the stairs (my garage is off the basement walkout level). This little tape caught my eye; I think it was $15 or so. The white circle on the face is a writing pad for pencil that you can erase easily with a licked finger. The blade also has a story board line below an easy to read fractional scale. Add the thumb lever to the belt clip, pencil sharpener, bottom pressure lock, solid 7’ standout, and a lightweight case that won’t pull your pants down, and you’ve got a great all around the shop tape measure for those with bad eyes and short memory. I liked it so well, I went back and bought several more for Christmas presents that year.

Here’s a handy link to it on Amazon.com

-- Matt CueBall Rosendaul. I don't think I've ever had a cup of coffee that didn't have cat hair or sawdust in it.

View CueballRosendaul's profile

CueballRosendaul

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

2557 posts in 2034 days

I have several of these and give them as gifts to my woodworking friends in the area. They are really great!
There are so many variations that you are sure to find the right one for your work.

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View sedcokid's profile

sedcokid

Thanks for the review Matt. Looks like something I should have too.

-- Chuck Emery, Michigan,

View jumbojack's profile (online now)

jumbojack

that is nice. I got the one that you can read left or right. love it.

-- Made in America, with American made tools....Shopsmith

View rdjack21's profile

rdjack21

I love these tapes as well. In particular I really like the lay flat version

-- --- Richard Jackson

View Roger's profile

Nifty. I was just lookin at the lefty-righty reader the other day. I’m gonna git one. Hey, I’ve been to Johnsons a few years ago, during one o their open houses, and met Scott Phillips. Really nice guy. Bought me some nice Maple, that I’m embarrased to say, haven’t done anything with it yet, but, got plans to make some livin room tables, & an entertainment center with it hopefully soon. Johnsons, and the folks who work there, are thee top o the line folks you wanna do business with. Gr8 place, gr8 lumber, gr8 folks. If you’ve never been there, you need to plan a trip n go. You’ll be glad you did. :)

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View OnlyJustME's profile

OnlyJustME

I’m pretty sure the tape measure was invented by a lefty. I’m right handed (i hold the pencil in my right hand to write) which means i hold the tape in my left hand and in order to not be cross armed to make my mark i pull the tape from right to left. Well when you do that on most tape measures the numbers are all upside down and you have to flip it around to hook on your belt. If there are more right handed people than left handed people why are all the tape measures made this way? And to get one that is correct for right handed use you have to get a lefty.

Is it just me? Is my thinking backwards some how? I work carpentry/construction and have used many tape measures and almost everyday for the last 15 years and have often wondered why it was this way. The only conclusion i could come up with was that it was designed/invented by a lefty.

-- In the end, when your life flashes before your eyes, will you like what you see?

View rance's profile

rance

I too love these tape measures. I have the yellow (SAE/Metric). And they ALL have pencil sharpeners.

Caveat: From what I’ve seen, their weakness is the front lock. It will eventually crack and no longer hold the tape in the extended position. Still useful, but not for all applications. I’ve seen this with about 6-8 of these things. Even though, I still recommend them.

-- Backer boards, stop blocks, build oversized, and never buy a hand plane--

View SirFatty's profile

SirFatty

I have the flat version, and have to say that it’s a great device. The pencil sharpener is surprisingly useful.

-- Visit my blog at dave.spalla.com