Feature Loaded Tape Measure

Review by CueballRosendaul posted 09-22-2012 10:16 PM 2485 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Feature Loaded Tape Measure Feature Loaded Tape Measure Feature Loaded Tape Measure Click the pictures to enlarge them

When I die, everyone will say, “How many tape measures and flashlights does one guy need?!” Well, I’m sorry, but I carry these two items with me all day working and usually into the evening if I’m in the shop, so I’m always on the lookout. About two years ago I was in Johnson’s Workbench picking up some lumber and thinking about this huge trim project I was about to embark on while remodeling my house. Since we were already living here, the chop saw needed to remain down in the garage, so I was going to be running up and down the stairs (my garage is off the basement walkout level). This little tape caught my eye; I think it was $15 or so. The white circle on the face is a writing pad for pencil that you can erase easily with a licked finger. The blade also has a story board line below an easy to read fractional scale. Add the thumb lever to the belt clip, pencil sharpener, bottom pressure lock, solid 7’ standout, and a lightweight case that won’t pull your pants down, and you’ve got a great all around the shop tape measure for those with bad eyes and short memory. I liked it so well, I went back and bought several more for Christmas presents that year.

Here’s a handy link to it on

-- Matt CueBall Rosendaul. I don't think I've ever had a cup of coffee that didn't have cat hair or sawdust in it.

View CueballRosendaul's profile

View ellen35's profile

#1 posted 09-22-2012 11:03 PM

I have several of these and give them as gifts to my woodworking friends in the area. They are really great!
There are so many variations that you are sure to find the right one for your work.

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View sedcokid's profile

#2 posted 09-23-2012 01:45 AM

Thanks for the review Matt. Looks like something I should have too.

-- Chuck Emery, Michigan,

View jumbojack's profile

#3 posted 09-23-2012 03:47 AM

that is nice. I got the one that you can read left or right. love it.

-- Made in America, with American made tools....Shopsmith

View rdjack21's profile

265 posts in 2017 days

#4 posted 09-23-2012 02:20 PM

I love these tapes as well. In particular I really like the lay flat version

-- --- Richard Jackson

View Roger's profile

#5 posted 09-24-2012 12:05 AM

Nifty. I was just lookin at the lefty-righty reader the other day. I’m gonna git one. Hey, I’ve been to Johnsons a few years ago, during one o their open houses, and met Scott Phillips. Really nice guy. Bought me some nice Maple, that I’m embarrased to say, haven’t done anything with it yet, but, got plans to make some livin room tables, & an entertainment center with it hopefully soon. Johnsons, and the folks who work there, are thee top o the line folks you wanna do business with. Gr8 place, gr8 lumber, gr8 folks. If you’ve never been there, you need to plan a trip n go. You’ll be glad you did. :)

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe.

View OnlyJustME's profile

#6 posted 09-25-2012 05:41 AM

I’m pretty sure the tape measure was invented by a lefty. I’m right handed (i hold the pencil in my right hand to write) which means i hold the tape in my left hand and in order to not be cross armed to make my mark i pull the tape from right to left. Well when you do that on most tape measures the numbers are all upside down and you have to flip it around to hook on your belt. If there are more right handed people than left handed people why are all the tape measures made this way? And to get one that is correct for right handed use you have to get a lefty.

Is it just me? Is my thinking backwards some how? I work carpentry/construction and have used many tape measures and almost everyday for the last 15 years and have often wondered why it was this way. The only conclusion i could come up with was that it was designed/invented by a lefty.

-- In the end, when your life flashes before your eyes, will you like what you see?

View rance's profile

#7 posted 09-26-2012 03:58 PM

I too love these tape measures. I have the yellow (SAE/Metric). And they ALL have pencil sharpeners.

Caveat: From what I’ve seen, their weakness is the front lock. It will eventually crack and no longer hold the tape in the extended position. Still useful, but not for all applications. I’ve seen this with about 6-8 of these things. Even though, I still recommend them.

-- Backer boards, stop blocks, build oversized, and never buy a hand plane--

View SirFatty's profile

#8 posted 09-27-2012 01:08 AM

I have the flat version, and have to say that it’s a great device. The pencil sharpener is surprisingly useful.

-- Visit my blog at

View Holt's profile

#9 posted 01-06-2015 04:14 PM

In general, I love the FastCap tapes. I have one of each of them (two of the green ones, guess which color gets used the most). Recently had something happen that kind of hurt my feelings. Dropped one of my green ones about 3 feet onto a plywood sub floor and some of the plastic body cracked off of it. Not the end of the world, tape is still usable, but I generally think of measuring tapes getting tossed back and forth at the job site. Seems a little wimpy to crack one with a drop that minor…

But that little erasable writing space on the side and the pencil sharpener have saved me a ton of walking back and forth and remeasuring.

View ClayandNancy's profile

#10 posted 01-06-2015 04:46 PM

I have three of the flat versions, put one at different machines because I’m old and can’t remember where I set it down last. I’m sure no one else has that problem.

View JoeinGa's profile

#11 posted 01-06-2015 05:41 PM

Geeze! Just when I thought I was OVER my tape measure fetish…. NOW I gotta have one (or 2 ) of these!

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward