My Skil 3320 Drill Press

Review by Dave Rutan posted 674 days ago 4648 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
My Skil 3320 Drill Press No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

My drill press is the third bench top tool I bought for my shop. For the price range I think it was a great buy. Out of the box it assembled easily and has served me well. The cross hair laser is helpful for hitting the mark and the on/off switch is right in the front for immediate access. Speed changes are made by moving the drive belt up or down a pair of stepped pulleys. The square table has slots to allow attachment of hold downs or a table.

If I had any complaint, it’s that the laser is battery operated. I’d prefer it was integrated into the power somehow.

For the price and the size I like this tool.

View Rick1911's profile

Rick1911

I bought one of these earlier this year. I needed to drill some 35mm holes for cabinet doors. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the table was perfectly level and runout on the spindle was within acceptable limits. I thought I’d end up replacing it eventually, but since the drill press seems to do what I need it to do (for now) I guess it’ll be a keeper. It sure doesn’t take up much room. And I don’t have much room.
The laser was dead on (and I agree that it would be nice if it was tied into the power supply) but I find myself lining everything up the “old fashioned way” because, for me, the laser can’t line up a 35mm drill bit (the head of the bit is too large and gets in the way of the laser).

-- “Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”

View Oldtool's profile

Oldtool

Dave,
The only complaint you have about your drill press, the battery operated laser, is an easy fix. Just wire into the battery compartment with a commercially available battery eliminator / battery charger, for a low voltage device like a wireless phone, cordless appliance / tool, etc. just make sure the charger is the same DC voltage as the battery in the laser. Be careful to keep the positive and negative properly oriented, snip the leads to the factory mounted plug, and connect to the battery terminals in the laser. Put both the drill press & laser plugs in the same extension cord, so when you plug in the extension cord, both are activated.
I’ve done this for a few devices, like my external garage door opener keypad. Hate batteries, always dead when you need them most, and the opener always has power, as long as I have utility.

-- "I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The point is to bring them the real facts." - Abraham Lincoln

Dave Rutan

Oldtool, Yeah, I can do that. I have a bunch of unused powrercubes around. One of them probably would work well.

View Oldtool's profile

Oldtool

Dave,

If you are comfortable working with electricity, you can also wire the battery eliminator AC input to the drill press on – off switch. It’ll then be just like it was a s you wanted, laser and drill press on the same control.

Oldtool,

That kind of electricity I’m very comfortable with. New circuit panels, no. Wiring into a powertool, yes.

View Johanan's profile

Johanan

Dave,
I am from Israel, searching for a press drill, and this one looks very good for the price. Whoever I need to know if it can be wired to work on 230 V instead of 120V. In some tools this involves just connecting 2 motor winding in serial instead of parallel. I was unable to find the answer on the net, or from Skil. Maybe you have an idea about this.
Thanks

Johanan,

That sort of thing is out of my league. You might try posting the question as a new topic and see if anyone chimes in.

View unclebenny's profile

unclebenny

Hi guys,

I just received this drill press (bought it from amazon) acouple of weeks ago… So far it works great! Funny you should be talking about the laser…have discovered that if you forget to turn it off, the battery goes dead(who would have guessed). I might have to try the fixes mentioned above, or buy stock in the battery co. Not that big of a deal for me, I prefer brad pt bits which are easier to align (my forstners also have points) . Just my 2 cents, I am happy with the Dp overall.

View Dakkar's profile

Dakkar

I’ve got a Craftsman press that may well be the same machine. It even has the battery laser guide, though I seldom have used it, actually. The battery life for me has been pretty good. In the 8 or 9 years I’ve had it I’ve yet to replace the battery, but it still works.