Ridgid Magnetic (MagSwitch) Featherboard

Review by ProDrawerCom posted 668 days ago 2383 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ridgid Magnetic (MagSwitch) Featherboard No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

9-21-2012: Other reviews on LumberJocks convinced me that the far less expensive version at Home Depot (the Ridgid brand) was the same product as the yellow MagSwitch. I’m in the middle of rough cutting plywood to build cabinets for my kitchen. Always wanted to try one of these because I believe in feather boards but just never get around to cutting some from wood. I really need them now. And I really need two because I’m cutting big stuff. I usually don’t ask clerks if they have a certain product because they almost always say “no”. But I nearly ran into this guy as I searched for the product. He looked like the kind of guy who might actually know, and he did ask me, not the other way around. When I told him what I wanted he immediately started shaking his head and said they didn’t carry much of anything in the way of accessories for table saws. “The only thing we carry is blades.” I asked where the blades were because I needed a nice finish blade. I figured any accessories should be with the blades and he just might be wrong. I found a nice blade and four, count them four, of the Ridgid magswitch feather boards. Amazon sells the MagSwitch (yellow one) for $47.95. HD retails them for $31.47. They were yellow-tagged tonight (closing them out) for $26.00. I snagged two. As I was leaving, I ran into the same clerk. He apologized, said he didn’t know they had them. He also allowed as how the yellow tag was a bad sign, meant they wouldn’t be restocked. I explained that poor sales can mean poor product or poor communication. These things might appear to the casual observer as plastic feather boards with knobs for $32.00. You have to know about them. Lucky me!

View taoist's profile

taoist

I am kind of envious of your purchase of those…I have a MagSwitch I bought from Wood Craft and it was not cheap. I have used it a few times and it works quite well but I was still unhappy about what I paid for it. The other day I was in the local Wood Craft store and was talking with the clerk about Carter bandsaw products and mentioned the fact that Carter had discontinued their $99.00 magnetic band saw fence and come out with a very similar product for $129.00. The clerk went over to the MagSwitch area and handed me a magnetic fence that used the product I had already purchased, the MagSwitch feather board, for $22.00. It required taking the feather board apart and using the magnets and the plastic holder as the base for the mag fence. I haven’t used it yet but I think it will be a winner.

View charlton's profile

charlton

78 posts in 2004 days

Not bad. I actually picked up the last one at one of the stores near my house a couple of weeks ago. It was marked down to $9. :-o I went to other HD’s in hopes of finding more but to no avail.

ProDrawerCom

Not nice to blow me in the weeds! :-)

View Rick1911's profile

Rick1911

I just had a similar problem with Home Depot. I was looking for a paint/finish respirator – asked the “associate” and he took me to a rack of dust masks. He said that’s all they had. I went to the air compressor department in tools, and they had what I was looking for there. I’ll swear I know HD better than some of the employees. I wish they’d just hang around the sheet goods department more often to help load plywood!

-- “Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”

ProDrawerCom

Re 1911: “He said that’s all they had.”

For years I’ve said that clerks in the big box stores may or may not know anything about their products. They may or may not be “handy”. My father, now deceased, used to drive me crazy when he would stop the first person wearing an orange apron and ask them which blade would be best for his project. That employee might be a seventeen year old female with an elaborate manicure. (Yes, I am a sexist pig)

I know a man who used to work for HD when they first got going. He said it was initially part of “the plan” to have knowledgeable people in the same way Radio Shack used to hire electronics geeks. He said, that at some point, there was a corporate decision to slash the payroll by ditching experience as a requirement. Consequently the former carpenters and plumbers went back to the field. Former grocery clerks and shoe salesmen and such filled the vacuum. That was quite a few years ago.

There was no corporate decision to adjust the TV commercials. They still pretend to have people who can tell you (with authority) which plywood would be most suitable for your project. Whether any given employee has yet to see the ten minute video on plywood is a chance you will have to take.

View Lenny's profile

Lenny

It took a bit of work and diligence on my part but i am happy to report that i snagged two of these today at a nearby store for $23 each. I visited my local store and had no luck finding any, both by myself and with the help of an associate. I came home and called two other nearby stores and asked specifically if they had any of the items in stock. The respose was, “It’s an online exclusive item. Not sold in the stores.” I know enough to realize that does not equate to what might be in stock at the store. I called HD’s 800# and fortunately got a great representative, willing to think out of the box. She ultimately provided me with nearby stores that have the item in stock, including how many. I contacted one, confirmed they had them and had them set aside two for me. Thanks ProDrawerCom for posting this review.

-- On the eighth day God was back in His woodworking shop! Lenny, East Providence, RI

ProDrawerCom

“Thanks ProDrawerCom for posting this review.”

You’re very welcome.

Nowadays when I call, I say “Can you please check a SKU number?” (I have that from the website). When I do that—they punch in the SKU number and the HD computer tells them what it is and how many they have. Then I ask them if they will take it to the Pro Desk. They’ve always been willing to do that. Then I just go get it.

Of course, the MagSwitch has been converted to “online only” and doesn’t’ have a SKU number.

View rdjack21's profile

rdjack21

I have one of those and love it. I better head down to my local HD and see if they have any left because I would love to have another.

-- --- Richard Jackson