Rockler's Tape Keeps Things Stuck!

Review by Jim Crockett (USN Retired) posted 2303 days ago 1536 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rockler's Tape Keeps Things Stuck! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I don’t know about anyone else, but I find new uses for double-sided tape nearly every time I am in the shop. I have been using Rockler’s Turner’s Two-Way Tape for a couple of months now and have been very impressed. It sticks tenaciously and I haven’t had any two parts I have joined slip when template routing or aligning for installation. I sometimes wonder if I actually need screws and glue with this stuff.

1 inch wide, 25 yards

I gave it four stars because sometimes it sticks too well and is a little hard to separate. Unless you have arms like Popeye, chances are pretty good that you are not just going to pull the two pieces apart! This is good when you want to make sure something doesn’t slip or slide when machining but not so good when you want to get them apart afterward. I’ve never had a problem separating the items by sliding a putty knife between the boards and gently pushing at the tape to separate a corner. Once one corner is loose, the boards can usually be separated by hand.

I also would recommend using small pieces rather than one long strip. I normally use pieces no longer than 3/4” and place them at the corners or other strategic locations, usually 3-4 for small items.

Yes, I would buy this item again and probably will. But a roll lasts a long time.

Jim

-- A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including his/her life".

View Jim Crockett (USN Retired)'s profile

Jim Crockett (USN Retired)

View GMoney's profile

GMoney

That is really funny, because I bought a roll of that tape a couple of weeks ago and just picked it this morning and used a piece! It is great. It’s like a double sided masking tape. I was using a carpet tape with a fiberous core that has more tenacity than is needed for stack cutting etc., so this one is nicer to use.

-- Greg, CT

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

I know how handy double-stick tape can be. I’ll have to pick up a roll of this. Thanks for the review.

View CharlieD's profile

CharlieD

I recently bought some as well. It is oustanding. Used to mount drawer fronts and had difficulty pulling them off !! GREAT stuff

-- Charlie - Texas

View Big_Bob's profile

Big_Bob

I use the tape a lot as well. I find it grabs a lot better if I clamp the parts together (with the tape in place) for a few minutes before I try to use it.

-- Bob Clark, Tool Collector and Sawdust Maker

View juniorjock's profile

juniorjock

1930 posts in 2361 days

I totally agree Jim. A while back I needed to order a couple of things from Rockler and needed to add an item to justify the shipping charge. It just happened to be a roll of this tape. Every thing you say is true….... a little goes a long way.

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

Double stickey is great stuff. I get DUCK brand carpet tape at Lowes or Wal-Mart. The stuff is fantastic.

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

Handy stuff – a man needs handy stuff.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

View ShipWreck's profile

ShipWreck

I have been using that same tape for golf clubs for years. I use it for installing grips.

I never even thought about using it for woodworking. I have a 1/2 dozen rolls of it in my shop cabinets.

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

I bought a roll of this a few weeks ago and used it on an inlay project. It worked great and I’ll use it again, maybe find some other uses for it in the process. I debated before shelling out $25 for it, but it’s pretty good stuff.