Ridgid 6 inch Orbital Sander and 4330 & 4331 Planer Woes...

Review by RibsBrisket4me posted 677 days ago 2112 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ridgid 6 inch Orbital Sander and 4330 & 4331 Planer Woes... No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Wow, I am stunned and ticked off all at the same time. I have owned a Ridgid band saw and drill press for almost 10 yrs. The DP has been stellar without a single issue. I actually have the much maligned Ridgid orange BS and I have it tuned up wonderfully and also love it.

Due to these two tools I have added to my Ridgid collection. I have their combo shop vac/blower and also love it. Also, orange is my favorite color. :-)

Now the sadness…

I had a 4330 planer that I bought from CPO tools as a reconditioned tool. After two years it burned up. I bought a low end Craftsman planer that was okay (I wrote a review on it) but I ended up not loving it and oh well, “carp” happens and so I went and got the new Ridgid 4331—as a gift. Wow, what a nice planer! Cutter head lock, a stout machine and runs rather quiet for a lunchbox planer. I’ve had it 8 months and it also burns up! Can smell the plastic and windings and then boom, it locks up with a board in it doing a 1/64th cut.

Now before the Ridgids I had a Dewalt 733 that I used for 10 years with out a single issue. I wax my tables, clean my rollers and take small “bites”. Also I am a weekend hobby guy so there is no way I wore these sucker out.

Additionally, right before the 4331 burned up, I bought a CPO Recon. 6 inch orbital sander. Well, the second time I used it, the pad broke right off it!

So I have purchsed 3 recent Ridgid tools and yes 2 of them were reconditioned but none of them lasted with even light use.

I am not a tool basher and this is not a rant, but I just wanted to make people aware of this. I know there are hundreds of happy Ridgid tool users. Maybe the lesson is don’t buy Ridgid recond. tools, I don’t know.

What I do know is I went and bought a Dewalt 734 and love it. I NEVER should have gotten rid of my 733. Also my 15 year old Dewalt 5 inch ROS which has been my workhouse for years it still spinning. Yellow is NOT my fave color, but Dewalt is becoming my go to tool. Wish they made a 6 inch ROS.

-- http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid6255915

View RibsBrisket4me's profile

RibsBrisket4me

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

WOW!

That’s quite a testimonial!

I don’t think I would try Ridgid Recond. tools… regardless of price… Now…

Thank you!

ps: I have the 734 & also really like it…

View crank49's profile

crank49

I have read several “Less than stellar” reviews on the Ridgid 6” ROS.
For what it’s worth, I have the 5” ROS and have used the crap out of it and it just keeps right on working.
I used to want a 6” but after so many bad reviews I just decided to get a 4×24” belt for major work.

-- Michael :-{| “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.” ― A H

View dnick's profile

dnick

Thanks for the review, filing that one for future reference.

-- dnick, North Hollywood, Ca.

View bluekingfisher's profile

bluekingfisher

Sounds like you have had a tough break on the Rigid brand. We don’t have that brand here in the UK Todd but we have our share of mediocre tools.

I guess the eulogy of ‘you get what you pay for’ stands true. My stationary tools are JET went this way because having bought a few “hobby” tools I soon realised I was wasting my time and hard earned. The majority of my hand power tools are Makita, even bought a couple second hand from the bay and can’t fault them.

Good luck with the planer.

David

-- No one plans to fail, they just, just fail to plan

View grfrazee's profile

grfrazee

I think I also have the 5” Dewalt ROS, and that thing just keeps working no matter what I do to it. Usually when my dad or I get Ridgid tools, we buy them expecting that they’ll last as long as the project (like the drywall drill we bought, though I think that still works). Also, the Ridgids are usually for the “non-essential” shop tools, where them breaking would only be a minor setback.

-- -=Pride is not a sin=-

View dub560's profile

dub560

i have a Ros by ridgid and the adhesive pad needs changing already. I said already because I only have it for a year now and within that year’s period I had this unit changed three times at home depot. the sand paper wouldn’t stick to the base any longer and so, it keeps popping/flying off constantly—it’s very frustrating.

-- Life is enjoyable especially when you borrow from people

View WoodNDust's profile

WoodNDust

You should have warranties on the Ridgid tools. Did you take them for service?

View Adam Baird's profile

Adam Baird

For what its worth, I have the 4331 and it works beautifully.

I got it used on Craigslist for $200 with the 4” dust collection port attachment and I’ve had absolutely zero issues with it.

Sorry to hear about your troubles!

-- Adam from Warsaw, Indiana

View dub560's profile

dub560

i can’t find my bill for this sander—so, i’m S O L

-- Life is enjoyable especially when you borrow from people

View nwbusa's profile

nwbusa

I have the 4331 planer, use it a lot, and it is has been a well-performing and reliable tool. As are all of my other Ridgid tools to date (R4512 TS, DP, belt/spindle sander, 5” ROS). I buy all of my tools new, so I can’t offer an opinion on reconditioned tools.

-- John, BC, Canada

View dustprocrastinator's profile

dustprocrastinator

Have you considered the 6 inch rotex sander from festool?

View cutworm's profile

cutworm

I have found it’s a roll of the dice on reconditioned Ridgid tools. I have made about 10 or 12 purchases and have had issues with 1 so far. Hang on to those sales tickets. I was losing a 3 month battle getting my saw repaired – broken out of the box. Called HD. I took it and the sales receipt to them and they sent it off and got it repaired even though I didn’t buy it there. I now buy most everything I can there. Wish they sold milk.

-- Steve - "Never Give Up"

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

I’ve had great luck with Rigid tools. But I only buy them new. I see the reconditioned ones in my store now and then, and if you take the time to read the little repair stickers that they sometimes leave on them, you see what went wrong, and it’s usually something electrical.
I have multiple Rigid vacs up to 12 years old, the R4512, an 11 year old twin bladed planer, the horizontal belt sander/spindle sander, a trim router, a combo router, three of their little lithium drills, Diablo blades and router bits, and they all perform flawlessly. Only thing they sell I hate is that stupid Diablo ROS paper with the multiple little holes in it. They clog too fast and you had better have a mask on when you use it. I like Rigid, Home Depot, and it’s too bad your experience is not the same.

That being said, my experience might have been different had I bought reconditioned.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com