It's All In The Details

Review by MsDebbieP posted 700 days ago 1854 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
It's All In The Details No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

his book review is from the September 2012 issue of our LumberJocks’ eMag

Fox Chapel Publishing is donating another book for a free draw! (See below for details)
Woodcarver's Workbook

At first glance I felt that the book had too much information, too much script and no colour photos which left me feeling “ho hum”... BUT on second look I realized that this book is an excellent resource for learning how to see and how to copy what you see when doing a wood carving.

As you can see in the photo of the book’s cover, this book, by Mary Duke Culdan, is all about the details. Since I am not a wood carver I cannot speak on quality of the actual directions. I can, however, point out some of the directions that make me think, “wow”.

• For the wolf: there is a diagram of the muzzle for mealtime as well as when relaxed, which is “long and narrow”
  • For the cougar: “the toes should be a bit wider bottom than top to accommodate retractile claws”
  • For a person: how to arm a man … well, the whole process is quite fascinating!

This book, in my opinion, is a good resource for someone who wants to do some serious carving!

WIN A FREE BOOK

One random draw winner will receive a copy of the book.
To enter your name in the draw, click here and answer the two easy questions.
Deadline: October 10, 2012

Another big thank-you to Fox Chapel Publishing for their continued donation of books for free draws here at LumberJocks.com.

View Roger's profile

Sweet!

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

Thanks for the review—looks like a great resource for information. The older I get, the longer my “bucket list” gets; and, the only way I seem to get some projects done is in my mind’s eye.

View alaskagypsy's profile

alaskagypsy

I wanted to sign up for the Free Book drawing but the deadline was 10/10/2012 – I received the e-mail newsletter 1022/2012 – a little late to sign up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-- Ron, Fairbanks, Alaska

MsDebbieP

Alaskagypsy.. thanks for catching this for me. The updated link apparently did not save in the October newsletter.
This book draw was from the September Newsletter.
This is the current book draw

My apologies for the error, confusion, and disappointment.

View LittlePaw's profile

LittlePaw

I received this announcement on Mon. Oct 22, about the draw that expired Oct 10! Oh well, who said life was perfect?

-- LittlePAW - The sweetest sound in my shop, next to Mozart, is what a hand plane makes slicing a ribbon.

MsDebbieP

my “oops” ... the link for the current draw didn’t “save” in the newsletter.
Here is the current draw.