Kreg Shelf Pin Jig

Review by Daris posted 583 days ago 2192 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Kreg Shelf Pin Jig No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Kreg Shelf Pin Jig

The Kreg Shelf Pin Jig is an excellent jig to add your woodworking collection.  I’ve done the “make your own” pegboard type of jig.  The problem is you cut it down to size and it seems like you never get it right the first time.  When you do finally get it right it still feels a little off when you’re finished.  Anyone who has the done pegboard thing will know how it can be a pain to do(and no I’m talking about those crazy smart never make a mistake woodworker guys, I mean regular folk).  Before I go much further though I have to say that I’m a big Kreg nerd.  Kreg hands down makes the best products for woodworkers and the difference is you can tell these guys actually eat their own dog food.  That is to say, I really believe these guys are real woodworkers and actually use their own products.  I hope this review is helpful and if you want to see more pics and videos about this check out my entry over at: www.woodlogger.com

Kreg Shelf Pin Jig BoxKreg Shelf Pin Jig Box Back

Here is a snapshot of the box that the jig came in.  I picked mine up from Amazon.  Click here if you want to check out more about it.

Kreg Shelf Pin Jig Contents

• Depth Collar
  • Allen Wrench
  • Instruction Manual

Kreg Shelf Pin Jig Back

The back of the jig has a really handy set of holders built into the jig. It will hold your drill bit, depth collar, and the location pin.

Kreg Shelf Pin Jig Fence

The jig can be used with or without the fence.  The fence is really handy, it attaches to the edge of the jig and allows you to get a square fit.  It can also be attached to either side of the jig.  On one side if you attach it you’ll get approximately a 1” depth in-set.  If you attach to the other side, it will give you approximately a 2-1/8” depth in-set.  Of course you don’t have to use the fence at all if you need to go deeper.  Just attach a square board to the work piece and align your jig to that.

Kreg Shelf Pin Jig Extender

If you have(or need) multiple jigs you can attach them together to get a longer length.  I can’t see ever purchasing an additional one, but I could see where some folks might want this.  If you need more holes you simply insert the locating pin in the last hole and then place the jig on top of it.

Kreg Shelf Pin Jig Depth Collar

The depth collar is used to set the depth of the hole while drilling a hole.  If you set the depth collar and the drill bit in the back of the jig it will line up for a perfect depth.

Kreg Shelf Pin Jig

The jig is really easy to use.  In the first image I lined up the board on the edge using the 1” side and fence.  I’m using a Kreg clamp to hold it in place but any good clamp will work great.  I drilled my end hole.

Kreg Shelf Pin Jig

Next up I put in my locating pin and then placed the jig on top of the pin.

Kreg Shelf Pin Jig

Lastly I drilled my remaining holes with the locating pin still in the first slot.

Overall the Kreg Shelf Pin Jig is a really easy to use product.  It feels rugged enough for the casual woodworker.  One of the best features is the size.  I’ve seen other jigs that are two or three times this size.  Another big plus is the metal reinforced holes in the jig.  Some of the other jigs I’ve seen only include a punch hole and you then go back and drill them in after.  With this jig you get it all done at once.  If you have a project where you’ll need to drill shelf holes I think you’ll find it does the job well.  I hope this review was helpful and if you want to see more pics and videos about this check out my entry over at: www.woodlogger.com

-- Daris, Indianapolis, http://www.woodlogger.com

View Daris's profile

Daris

View Jeff in Huntersville's profile

Jeff in Huntersville

Great review. I have one of these and at first I thought it was too small. But then after using it for a while I realized most of my uses were for short runs of shelf pin holes. It’s exactly the right size. I agree the makers are obviously guys who use the tool. It is solidly built and everything fits into slots on the back.

View cutworm's profile

cutworm

Thanks for the review. I have several Kreg products and like them all. Simple and full of function.

-- "Actions speak louder than words but not nearly as often." - Mark Twain