New design wood turning Tools by Joe Rollins.

Review by Tom Godfrey posted 09-12-2012 11:27 AM 4534 views 1 time favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
New design wood turning Tools by Joe Rollins. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This will be the first review that I have ever written about any tool and not sure if I have enough knowledge to even write this.
I have been doing wood turning now for about two or three months and up until that time I had never had any knowledge or experience with wood turning.
Like everything else, all I can do is either master the art of turning or fail and I am not one to fail. I just want give up. You tube and a lot of reading gave me a start. I purchased a Delta Rockwell 46-525 off crags list. Guy wanted 425.00 dollars but not knowing anything about a lathe my thinking was I really don’t have that kind of money to spend on something I know nothing about. I knew I wanted it and gave him a call and asked every question I could think about. My main concern was it in working condition or was it all worn out. Turn out he knew less than I did about a lathe. I drove the hour or so distance and knew right away I was going to buy it. Checked the bearing and etc to see if it was tight and every thing seem to be okay.

I will give you 395 for it. Then he told me he was selling it for some lady whose husband had passed away and would have to check with her. He made the call and she said okay.

Let me tell you that bugger is heavy and with the help of a couple more people we were able to get it loaded on my truck. Got it home and it ran great, still didn’t know anything other than what I had read.

Let me back up some before I go any further. After it was loaded on my truck the man said there are some other parts that go with it. Come to find out a set of turning tools, a couple of face plates, and five different tool rests. I knew then I hit a home run. You figure all that together and that comes to a lot of money.

Now to the tool review. No it’s not about the delta Rockwell lathe but will tell you this it’s a horse. Variable speed. Will turn up to 3600 rpms. Thing the low side is about 370 or something like that.

I spend the last few months with the tool set I got with the lathe and then found out it was hard to keep them shape and went on line and you tube once again and found out how to make a jig to sharpen the tools. It’s worked great but I still wanted better cutting tools.
Now this is what I am excited about and want to share with all you wood turners and soon to be wood turners. Keep in mind I am not great at wood turning so this is my opinion.
I was able to contact a man and his wife that made their own wood turning tools. It’s in the line of some of the others I have looked at but knew I would never be able to afford them.
You want believe how low the cost of these tools are from Joe. He makes a set of six for a price you want believe. You don’t have to buy a set you can buy one at a time. I started with two and liked them so much I ordered the other four.
It took some doing for me to be able to change from what I was doing to using these tools. The main thing is you have to set the tool rest where the cutting edge of his tools is on the center line. You keep the tool level. I place my left hand on the tool next to the tool rest and hold the end of the handle with my right hand.

Tell you what you go to this web site and check it out for yourself. www.thingswestern.com. I would never consider any other wood turning tool but you take a look and make your own decision. Feel sure Joe wouldn’t mind you giving him a call, I did. Talked to both him and his wife. Super nice people and he want tear you up with shipping and handling cost either. Of course he charges shipping but it’s way better than any other thing I have ordered.

If you decided to buy please let me know what you think about these tools
Tom Godfrey

I wrote this review a month or so ago and have been thinking if I should post this or not since I am so new to wood turning. Since writing this I now know its okay to post because I have been able to turn things that I wouldn’t have been able to do with my old turning tools. I have put those tools away and now only use the tools from www.thingswestern.com.

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

#1 posted 09-12-2012 12:07 PM

Tom, that was really good buy on that lathe!!...and variable speed!!!
Thoes tools look neat. they remind me of EWT-Easy Wood Tools. We had a demo at our guild of the EWT tools. They seem to cut real slick. Are the Thingswestern tools carbide tips or HSS?
..............Jim

View poopiekat's profile

poopiekat

#2 posted 09-12-2012 12:26 PM

How can you do a review of these turning tools without telling us what the retail price is?

#3 posted 09-12-2012 04:55 PM

Jim those tools are carbide tips. I haven’t had to stop and sharpen then yet and if you happen to need new cutting heads Joe will funish them for a lot price. I would suggest you look on his web site for those prices. He only sells the new cutting heads to his customers.

Poopiekat. The reason I didnt list the retail price was because there could have been a change since I purchased mine. That is the reason I suggested you check out Joe’s web site.

View harry1's profile

harry1

#4 posted 09-13-2012 01:40 PM

You sure know how to snap up a bargain Thomas. I have some similar tools and my experience was like yours, a dramatic improvement in results which I put down to the fact that they have Carbide tips and I still haven’t mastered the art of obtaining razor sharp edges on my HSS tools. No doubt we will soon see some very nice saleable bowls.

-- Harry, Western Australia

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#5 posted 09-13-2012 02:04 PM

I went to the website, and watched his 13 minute video turning a hollow vessel on his “outdoor lathe”. When he turned that thing on with a bark covered piece of mesquite I thought for sure it would blow up. Then he appears to start cutting with not much more than a round carbide cutter and a homemade rest made from two pieces of pipe. The one quick glance of his face showed no face shield, and you just don’t know except that wood is flying everywhere. Wood had to be flying ten feet. It is just crazy. His Penetrator tool is crazy, makes it very easy to turn any kind of bowl.
He’s a hoot to watch. The tools are currently running about $60 apiece for 16.5” long tools. They use golf grips for handles.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

#6 posted 09-13-2012 04:36 PM

Harry: When you are a poor hard working you have to look for bargains. I just cant spend the kind of money most of those wood turning tools cost.
It’s a hobby for me but some times the spending is to much to call a hobby.

Tennessee: If you happen to have a chance to talk to this man, you will begin to understand he too is a person that has worked his entire life trying to make ends meet. He is doing okay for himself and family but it didn’t come easy.

To all others: If you haven’t taken the time to check Joe Rollins out you are missing out on a bargain when it comes to wood turning tools. I am getting nothing from Joe and don’t want nothing. All I want to do is let other wood turners know you have a choice and I would never review a tool or any thing I didn’t believe in 100%.

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#7 posted 09-13-2012 10:08 PM

Tom:
I kind of got that out of the video. Folks, you really need to look at the video to begin to understand this guy. I work for a mechanical contractor, so we have a lot of these “metal guys” on staff, people who can build anything out of steel, iron, any metal. Joe Rollins strikes me as this type, and to be honest, they are in great demand these days with all of the upcoming generations thinking computers, finance, business and desk jobs. People like Joe Rollins are becoming scarce, a true craftsman who can make a lathe out of some H-beam, some pipe, couple pulleys and a motor! AND, it can stay outside and still work every day!
His tools probably are great for the money. I was making knobs for my guitars today on my lathe, and thinking of the Robert Sorby tools I was using, how much I paid for them a few years back, and how many of the Joe Rollins tools I could have had for the same money as the three dinky Sorby’s I was using. Of course, the Sorbys I was using are made for small work, and guitar knobs are little work, but still, hard to ignore an American made carbide tool for $59!

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com