my last sander

Review by eddy posted 707 days ago 2493 views 0 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
my last sander No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

i recently posted a question as to what ros sander i should get for a$200.00 well shot the budget all to hell.
i demoed the unit at my local woodcraft and after sanding a endgrain cuttingboard in less than 4 min. i was sold this is a very agressing sander not a finish sander by any means. i can now flaten my boards on drum sander at 80 grit and go to festoll and have it ready for finishing in no time at all. best part is a do a lot of boards and i can sand boards next to boards with finish on them with no worry of dust in the finish. i did not get there vacume
at $410.00 just too much for a vacume i am using a 4 gallon shop vac with a hepa filter and a muffler on the exhaust works as well as the unit a was using when i demoed the sander at woodcraft. this is a very costly sander but if you do a lot of production work it will pay for it self in no time at all in time savings. again i get the 150/5
it has a 5 mill orbit versis the 150/3 with a 3 min. orbit so this is not a finish sander form what i can tell so fare
i have only been using it on cutting boards but not a issue i block sand everything else. save you mony and get this works great

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

Congratulations!
That’s one great sander and it will make you a lot of money
and save you on sandpaper also.
The lack of vibration is amazing. How do you like working
without sawdust flying all over the place?

And you paid how much for it ?

HillbillyShooter

Agree 100%. You have to try it to believe it!

View TheOldTimer's profile

TheOldTimer

I will never own another sander but my Festools. I have the 5” & the 6” for table tops and material wider then 6”. In addition to the sanders, I have the dust extractor and love it also. Lots of dollars but worth the investment for the serious woodworker.

-- TheOldTimer,Chandler Arizona

View Ken Fitzpatrick's profile

Ken Fitzpatrick

Couldn’t agree more. I know they are expensive but they are well worth it. You get what you pay for.

-- • "I have noticed that nothing I have never said ever did me any harm."....... Calvin Coolidge

View lazyoakfarm's profile

lazyoakfarm

what is the difference between the ETS 150/5 and the ETS 125 EQ 5? the ETS 125 EQ 5 is half the cost…
I really should not start looking at these tools, I dont use what I have. Its an addiction.

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

Here ya go Lazyoakfarm, you can also click on the product
tab and see the different saws, sanders, and other fine machinery.

926 posts in 1989 days

waho6o9 nice link you beat me to the punch i may get the 125 at a later time as a finish sander

HillbillyShooter

FYI It is NOT a “ETS 125 EQ 5” it is a “ETS 125 EQ” (no 5). The 5 refers to a 5mm swirl for the 150/5, a 3mm swirl for the 150/3 and the 125 has a 2mm swirl for finer finishing. Confusing but that’s the way they do it in Europe.

926 posts in 1989 days

not sure what you are talking about there hillbillyshooter?

HillbillyShooter

eddy: I apologize for the confusion. Festool refers to it as a “stroke” and I referred to it as a “swirl”. It would probably be better described as the size of the orbit of the sanding stroke. The ETS 150 has either a 5mm or a 3 mm sanding orbit with the 5 mm being more aggressive. The ETS 125 has a smaller 2mm sanding orbit. The comment was in response to “lazyoakfarm”’s inquire about the difference between the ETS 150/5 and the ETS 125 EQ 5. Hope that explains it a little better.

In any event, enjoy your new purchase and I know you’ll get many years of service with the added bonus of the best durst collection going.

View RandyMorter's profile

RandyMorter

Congrats Eddy! I’ll be over with some stuff to sand…

-- Randy Morter, Phoenix, AZ

View Roger's profile

Super nice sander/s. If I were still working, I may be able to afford it. These companies should give us retired guyz-n-galz a little monetary break o some sort… my $.02

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View Mark Davisson's profile

Mark Davisson

483 posts in 1941 days

If I spent over $300 for a ROS, I can almost guarantee that it would be my last sander, at least as a married man.

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

View Moron's profile

Moron

Mark Davisson, that would be true : ))

Albeit a Festool Junkie

To the buyer, your gonna be pissed when you see the Mirca, 2x’s the sander just over 1/2 the price. That said, I fail see why it isnt a finish sander ?

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso