The off switch works

Review by Bob Kollman posted 712 days ago 2583 views 2 times favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The off switch works The off switch works The off switch works Click the pictures to enlarge them

I sand a lot of wood…on average over 200 BF a month. I own a drum sander and use it a lot, but I find that for the final finish a ROS is the best tool. I have owned and used porter cable sanders for the past 5 years and I like them. The 390 low profile is a cut above the others.

This tool has been reviewed on LJ’s twice before, but it has been awhile and this tool deserves another mention just to keep it on your radar.

It is variable speed….I don’t use that option.

Powerful motor = maximum sanding results with minimal efforts.

Brake system= when you hit the off switch the sander winds down to a stop within about 3 seconds.

Effective Vacuum Port = I have a home made adapter to hook it up to my 2’ vac hose, clean no dust.

Smooth Operation = No pins and needle feel in your hand after hours of sanding. It is the smoothest feeling sander I have ever had.

I have small hands, a lot of women have bigger hands than I do, so gripping the low profile is a little tiresome, but it was just a matter of getting use to it. Most guys will have no problem with the grip. A positive trade off is the low profile that allows easier axis between tight shelf spacing.

Where I find the sander the most convenient is when I am using the bench vice for sanding. You turn the sander off drop it on the bench and there is no long wait for the sander to wind down. I sand a lot using my bench vice so it is a real time saver.

It cost a 100 bucks, about 50 bucks more than my other porter cable sanders, it is worth the extra 50 bucks.

-- Bob Kenosha Wi.

View Bob Kollman's profile

Bob Kollman

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

A very good Review…

... and very useful too… It’s hard to find a really GOOD sander.

View Sheila Landry (scrollgirl)'s profile

Sheila Landry (scrollgirl)

Good to know, Bob. We have been doing a lot of sanding lately and are perhaps considering another sander. Nice to hear about this one. :)

Sheila

-- Designer/Artist/Teacher. Owner of Sheila Landry Designs (http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com) Scroll saw, wood working and painting patterns and surfaces. "Knowledge is Power"

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

Thanks for the review, Bob.

helluvawreck aka Charles

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

Great review Bob. :)
I have the same sander but in dewalt yellow (D26456) and love it.

Even without using a shop vac it does a really nice job collecting the dust.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View SPalm's profile

SPalm

Cool.
Thanks. Sounds great.

Steve

-- -- I'm no rocket surgeon

View Alexandre's profile

Alexandre

I also have the same sander. Its a great sander.

-- My terrible signature...

View Pete504's profile

Pete504

19 posts in 1963 days

I gave this to my wife to read.
She said it was a very informative review but she wasn’t going to do my sanding.

View whitebeast88's profile

whitebeast88

thanks for the review.i’ve got one coming any day now and glad to here another good review.

-- Marty.Athens,AL

View Lenny's profile

Lenny

Great review Bob. I particularly like that you have logged a good number of hours with it prior to the review.

-- On the eighth day God was back in His woodworking shop! Lenny, East Providence, RI

View rodneyh's profile

rodneyh

Have it as well, and love it. Got it about 6 months ago. Lots of power.

View A10GAC's profile

A10GAC

Can we get some details about your homemade vac adaptor?

-- Men have become the tools of their tools. - Henry David Thoreau

View harvey4804's profile

harvey4804

I tried to order one from cpo through Amazon but they were sold out. I’m waiting for the refund to go find one!

-- Ryan, FRMR HMM165 - HMX1 01-10

View Bob Kollman's profile

Bob Kollman

Thanks for the comments everyone.

A10GAC – I took one of the old tapered wands from a wet vac I was no longer using and cut a section out with my band saw… instant fit.

Pete P, I guess that’s her way of saying buy one :)

-- Bob Kenosha Wi.

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

Bob I have been instreted in that sander.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View A10GAC's profile

A10GAC

Thanks, I had a feeling that was what I was looking at, but wasn’t sure.

-- Men have become the tools of their tools. - Henry David Thoreau