Leecraft HT-1 Zero Clearance Insert

Review by SirFatty posted 722 days ago 2938 views 2 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Leecraft HT-1 Zero Clearance Insert Leecraft HT-1 Zero Clearance Insert No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve always made my own zero clearance inserts, and on the old Craftsman table I used previously, it was a pain to make them correctly. With my new Porter-Cable saw, it looked to be even more painful. This time around, a purchased ZCI seems like the way to go. A quick search showed one manufacturer appearing multiple times in the search results: Leecraft.

A couple blanks were purchased from, and fulfilled by, Woodcraft via Amazon.

When received, I was surprised by how heavy and solid these phenolic inserts are. They sit completely flat and when the leveling screws and tension screws are adjusted, there is absolutely no movement. The only thing about this particular insert is the odd color and pattern on it. The second is more of a DayGlo orange.

A piece of 2×4 was clamped across the insert and then the blade was slowly raised until it was fully through. A similar process was followed for the dado cutter, but the blade was raised much slower. It took about a minute to raise the 3/4” dado up through the phenolic material.

Several test cuts were made and it worked as expected, well worth the price of $25 (each).

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

Yep. I have the same brand insert for my Crafty TS. A great product.

View lumberjoe's profile

lumberjoe

I agree, I have a few for my R4512 (regular and Dado). The price is hard to swallow, but there is no doubt these are quality inserts. Does your saw not have a riving knife?

-- www.etsy.com/shop/KandJWoodCrafts

SirFatty

Lumberjoe: indeed it does.. but I did not cut the insert to accept it yet.

View Cosmicsniper's profile

Cosmicsniper

I bought two a these recently myself. Very good inserts…much better than my handmade ones.

-- jay, www.allaboutastro.com

View lumberjoe's profile

lumberjoe

The inserts for the R4512 were pre-cut for the riving knife. I wonder if there is a “with riving knife” option for your saw

-- www.etsy.com/shop/KandJWoodCrafts

SirFatty

Jumberjoe: not that I’m aware of, but there were instructions with the insert detailing how to cut the slot (they recommend a jig saw).