Woodstock International D4241 12" Cyclone Separator

Review by SirFatty posted 724 days ago 3936 views 0 times favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Woodstock International D4241 12" Cyclone Separator Woodstock International D4241 12" Cyclone Separator Woodstock International D4241 12" Cyclone Separator Click the pictures to enlarge them

A couple weeks ago I purchased the Porter Cable table saw. One of the features is the dust port sized for a shop vac, and it works really well with my Ridged vacuum. Time for a cyclone separator, since all my sawdust will end up in the shop vac and replacing filters can be costly.

There are a lot of separators available, and the price range is fairly wide. I’ve been looking a the offerings from Rockler” and ””Oneida name just a couple. There is a decent review of a these at Woodwhisperer.

Of course, one could be made as well. There are many documented plans for various styles of collectors. Woodgears the Thien. Since my shop time is limited, I don’t really want to spend a day making something that could be had inexpensively (and the cost might be a wash, depending on the parts purchased to make your own).

I was on the Grizzly website and came across a new item, an inexpensive cyclone solution called ””Woodstock International D4241 12” Cyclone Separator””:http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Cyclone-Separator/T23831. Cheap enough to be an impulse buy, I purchased one and a can of Slip-It.

First, the good. The build quality is actually better than expected. The molded plastic is thick and doesn’t flex too much. There’s a ring of open cell foam insulation that seals the separator to the five gallon bucket, and it seems to do the job. So with the separator installed on a Home Depot 5 gallon bucket, the next step is to connect it to my Ridged shop vac. This is where the praise for this item will take a sharp nosedive.

The Ridged hose will not connect, size mismatch. Ok, just go to Home Depot with the separator and find some hose adapters to fit this device. No such luck, there is nothing in the Ridged line that will connect to this. Next stop: Plumbing. Bought a couple 2” rubber couplers for the connectivity issues.

This inexpensive separator is slowly climbing in price.

Once everything was finally connected, it was time to suck some dust! And what a disappointment. Everything went right through the bucket and into the vacuum. EVERYTHING. Clearly the cyclone action is not happening. It’s almost as if there is a piece missing. Did some digging around and came across this ToolKing.com. Looks to be the same thing, but with a 90 degree elbow inside, which would make sense.

I could add that to mine, but at this point I don’t want to throw anymore money at it. I just want to RMA the thing and get my money back.

The D4241 12” Cyclone Separator is a complete waste of time and money.

UPDATE: I was able to RMA the separator, that money will go towards an Oneida Dust Deputy.

UPDATE 14SEP12 Grizzly did a full refund, including the original shipping costs. Great service, and that will keep me as a loyal customer.

View Alexandre's profile

Alexandre

I think if you put a elbow inside, it would work.. but then you will need to put a baffle for max efficency.
Thanks for the review,

-- My terrible signature...

SirFatty

Alexandre, most likely true. As I indicated with the toolking link, it seems like there is something missing. The question is if it’s work messing around with or sending back. I think it’s going back.

View Bob Kollman's profile

Bob Kollman

I guess it will be best to ship it back, grizzly might even pay for that if your not happy. The wood whisper did a comparison of the top 3 separators maybe you can check that out.

-- Bob Kenosha Wi.

View Bob Kollman's profile

Bob Kollman

oh duh you already did check that out….forgive me it’s still early in the morning!!!!

-- Bob Kenosha Wi.

View TheOldTimer's profile

TheOldTimer

I have the Festool dust extractor that is used for sanding only, If I decide to use a seporator, I will save my dollars and get the Oneida designed for the dust collector. Lots of dollars but I understand it is worth it. Maby it is time to look for a 4” dust collector, they are well worth the dollars and although I do not have the Harbor Freight collector, I hear great comments on them. On my dust collector, I replaced the top bag with a pleated filter and that filter made a ton of difference.

-- TheOldTimer,Chandler Arizona

View CooperDBM's profile

CooperDBM

I started with a lid like yours, with the interior elbow. I think it diverted only about 25% of the dust from my Ridgid vac. It did marginally better with the chips from my planer. I eventually bought the small Oneida cyclone. I just got the bare unit and attached it to my own bucket. It works great and diverts virtually everything with lots of suction. Now my problem is that it fills the bucket quickly when using the planer. Good enough for me since I don’t have room for a bigger unit. The whole thing is stacked on top of my vac so that it doesn’t add much to it’s footprint.

-- Dave, Ottawa, ON

View crashn's profile

crashn

I have the Onieda and it works perfect. Fits the rigid hoses and fits on a HD bucket. For the price (a bit high) it works great. Highly recommended.

-- Crashn - the only thing I make more of than sawdust is mistakes

SirFatty

Thanks for all the feedback guys… I tried one last thing and installed a 90 degree PVC elbow. It helped, but just a little. This is going back to Grizzly.

Either the Rockler or Onieda is getting purchased as the replacement.

-- Visit my blog at dave.spalla.com

This is what I’ve used with excellent results.
If yours came without the inner elbow , then that is the problem. There’s no way it can work without one.

View roofner's profile

roofner

Buy just the onedia dust deputy just the kit bolt it the 5 gallon bucket.just take a piece of strafoam and make your own gasget. I also have a Rigid shop vac.

View don1960's profile

don1960

@sirfatty:
If you get the Rockler one, you will have to modify it to work well. I have that one, and have done the modification to it. You basically need to take one of the fittings, put it in the middle of the lid and add a plywood separator like the Thein baffle. With that mod it works wonderfully.

With the Oneida Dust deputy it works perfectly right out of the box. (I have the Rockler one at home, but we went with the Oneida one at work, so I know how they both work)

A link to some pictures of the mod I did to the Rockler one:
The picture of the filter is after filling the bucket 3 times, and the one of the inside of the vac is that same timeframe.

-- -- Don from PA

Don,

Thanks for the heads up. Dust Deputy looks to be the best choice!

View Shanem's profile

Shanem

I have the same style lid but for the garbage can. It has a 90 degree elbow inside that you put on the inlet side and it works great. I easily fill up the trash can when using the planer any amount of time.

Did you check with Grizzly to see if they would ship the elbow?

SirFatty

Shanem, I did purchase a PVC elbow at Home Depot, and it did work better but not much. Certainly not enough to keep it.

View Tim_456's profile

Tim_456

SF, I have the older steel version of the Dust Deputy. I still needed to get the plumbing adapters to get it to connect to my shop vac, but I have to say, it is awesomw. Works just as expected, from the reviews of the plastic version I don’t think you’ll be unhappy and it’ll meet your needs.

I hope round two works better than this one! Thanks for the review.