Craftsman Universal Jig

Review by jmanleisure posted 08-31-2012 02:23 PM 2996 views 1 time favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Craftsman Universal Jig No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Well I promised I wouldn’t buy something and post a review without using it… so much for that! I’m posting it because I bought it on clearance- 50% off. The cost was just under $16 bucks. So in case anyone wants to pick it up-i figured I’d post my initial impressions and hopefully there are some folks that have used one. I would have liked to have made my own jig, but for the price it was hard to beat.

So far my initial impressions-

1. it’s made in America-maybe one of the last things from craftsman to be made in America
2. It’s solid, comes with clamps and locating guides that would appear to keep the wood at either 90 or 45 or… whatever you want depending on the cut. Though i might just use my own clamps for speed. But really like the idea of the locating guides-for safety and for accuracy
3. The angle plate is adjustable-so it can run parallel or perpendicular to the blade-not sure the jig I would have built would have this feature
4. It fits well in my miter slot-I was worried since I’ve read some craftsman saws have non-standard miter slots so wasn’t sure if the jig would fit- but it does.

Once I use it I’ll update my review and hopefully post a better picture.

View jmanleisure's profile

jmanleisure

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

#1 posted 08-31-2012 03:33 PM

I have the same jig. Only mine was made 30-40yrs ago. It’s a pretty simple device. Works pretty well.

View TheOldTimer's profile

TheOldTimer

#2 posted 08-31-2012 05:42 PM

Same jig here, bought mine 40 years ago also. Worked well but seldome use it any longer. Upgraded to a much heavier jig that is micro adjustable.

-- TheOldTimer,Chandler Arizona

View Don Niermann  's profile

Don Niermann

#3 posted 09-01-2012 07:36 PM

Same jig 35 years ago

-- WOOD/DON (...one has the right to ones opinion but not the right to ones own facts...)