Safety has become too easy

Review by Woodendeavor posted 690 days ago 2313 views 2 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Safety has become too easy No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been using a miter slot feather board on my table saw for some time now and call me lazy, half of the time I would not use it. Trying to set up for a single cut ripping sawmill lumber with one straight edge was such a hassle I quit doing it. I am a one man shop and the time it would take me to set up the old feather board I could rip 2 boards and for me that was too much. Lets jump forward to last night. I am working on a project that required crown molding and someone, I, forgot to calculate the material in my initial purchase. Frantically run to the mill with 2 kids in tow to gather raw material. Upon my return there is a UPS box sitting on my front porch, a Magswitch pro feather board and accessory feather board. When I get to the shop I break open the package and flip the switch, WOW that thing does not move. The material I had needed to be straightened on the joiner, ripped for width, split in two, straightened again then ripped to final width. I can say in all of the steps to make my 6 pcs I only spent a total of a minute setting that feather board. There is no way to make safety easier than Magswitch has. I would recommend their product to every one

View Woodendeavor's profile

Woodendeavor

I know what you mean. My Kreg miter slot featherboard has not come out of the cabinet since I got my magnetic featherboard.

View Dwain's profile

Dwain

When safety gets too easy, bad things happen. I think this is a great tool, thanks for the review.

-- When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there is no end to what you CAN'T do

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

I have the ridgid magnetic featherboard. 100% agree that it’s a must have for the table saw. I also like how easy it is to store. I just stick mine to the side of the saw when not in use. It’s always easy to find and only an arms length away. In my world, a safety device that easily accessible and easy to use is waaaay more likely to actually be employed.

View Prplhrtjarhead's profile

Prplhrtjarhead

Magnetic…hmmm…that’s a forehead slapping moment of an idea! May just have to go get one.

-- "We'll preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we'll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness." R. Reagan, "The Speech", 1964

View redryder's profile

redryder

This is a worthy tool. I use mine at both the table saw and the bandsaw.
A very fair review….................

-- mike...............

I have a miter slot wood one that I have never used, just for the above mention reason. I will have to look in one of these

-- Norman

111999 posts in 2172 days

cool tool ,good review.

View shopmania's profile

shopmania

Thanks! I don’t have one yet. May have o do that.

-- Tim, Myrtle Beach, DrTim@ONeillChiro.com- Just one more tool, that's all I need! :)

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

From reading a WoodCraft catalog recently, I came away from it with the usual “If only I could have that” list, but also added to my “soon, I need to get that, or at least find out what others think”

At the top of the list was this mag switch system with the featherboard.

It strikes me as a great fast time saving safety feature.

thanks for the review and the additional push.

As of now, I do use featherbaords often enough. I’ve never owned one with the miter slot clamp, I just make my own and suffer with manual clamping devices. I could not see the advantage of the miter clamp being enough to bother, but in this case, despite the vast increase in cost over “Free” it really looks to be worth it.

View greg48's profile

greg48

Thanks for the review, I’ve been fighting my home-made feather boards/clamps for far to long. This is going on the top of the “affordable” Christmas Wish list.

-- Greg, No. Cal.

View Tootles's profile

Tootles

I recently bought the universal magswitch featherboard. It was a little over half the price of the pro featherboard and has the advantage of being able to be used on both sides of the blade.

So far, I am also very impressed. I have felt much more comfortable working with a saw that I have previously been quite concerned about. And yes, it is very quick and simple to place.

-- I may have lost my marbles, but I still have my love of woodworking