Dewalt homerun

Review by Oldelm posted 08-28-2012 08:42 PM 2933 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dewalt homerun No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this router because I needed something lighter than my 691 plunge base in order to keep being able to do some woodworking. I bought the router andmost of the accessories for it, the fence(the inexpensive one), the round base to use with bushings, the vacuum adaptors for both bases. I used it for the first time to let in some banding and do some round over work on my current project. I am impressed with the the tool. It is easy to handle with either base. The plunge base is easy to use and is accurate. The action on the plunge base is smooth and very light. I had seen a few reviews saying that the vacuum attachments do not work well but I found them to be very good. They captured 85 to 90% of the debri and at least in the red oak I was routing the atachment did not clog and it was easy to see the bit at work. The router is easy to use one handed with the regular base on it. It reminded me of the 1970’s B&D 1hp routers except for a little smaller in your hand. Plenty of power for light work, the led lights and the soft start are nice features. The only thing I don’t like is the soft case. I will make a box for it in the future. I always had to do that anyway because most of my tools came in cardboard boxes before the 1990’s. The tool seems to be well made and since it is new I can’t speak to how long it will last. The price is right if you catch it on sale. I would have given it 5 stars if not for the case and the fact that I haven’t used it for 20 years like my 691.

-- Jim, Missouri

View Oldelm's profile

Oldelm

View Roger's profile

#1 posted 08-28-2012 11:09 PM

Good review. I have the same model, and really like it. Tis a handy-dandy, and so far so good also for me.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View CessnaPilotBarry's profile

CessnaPilotBarry

#2 posted 08-28-2012 11:43 PM

Totally agree with the review!

I have one, too… It has quickly become my favorite hand-held router, of the 11 I own.

The DW611 GREAT feel. Mine never sees a case, living in a drawer.

-- It's all good, if it's wood...

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

#3 posted 08-29-2012 12:51 AM

Another total agreement with this review. In fact I like it better than the Festool trim router despite the fact that the Festool does do a slightly better job of dust collection. This little router is quickly becoming my favorite of the ten routers I own.

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#4 posted 08-29-2012 12:54 PM

I bought just the router at a sale at Lowes. Didn’t buy the plunge. I also like the light weight, soft start, and the LED light is nice. Just did a binding job on a guitar, and it handled well as I routed out the very thin groove around the perimeter of the guitar. Will use it for a lot of small jobs like this.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View Cosmicsniper's profile

Cosmicsniper

#5 posted 08-30-2012 04:04 AM

Got this router combo myself two weeks ago. I already used it to make a plaque for my son using pattern letters. Loved it for every reason you said, especially the ergonomics while using the plunge base. I bought mine because I want to build guitars. However, I like the soft cases…hard cases always seem difficult to shove the tool back in.

Nice review!

-- jay, www.allaboutastro.com

View DeLayne Peck's profile

DeLayne Peck

#6 posted 09-03-2012 02:14 PM

Add another happy owner. My big DeWalt plunge went into the router table. The DeWalt Compact is sharing duty with my 40 year old Craftsman. The compact has become my go-to router. It handles beautifully and easy to set up. I would use “Old Timer” more if I can every get the last bit out. Please pass the space balls.

-- DJ Peck, Lincoln Nebraska. I think of my shop as Fritter City. I am the Mayor.

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#7 posted 09-03-2012 02:18 PM

Thanks for the review; I’ll take a look.

helluvawreck aka Charles