An awesome sander at an awesome price.

Review by Cole Tallerman posted 695 days ago 3054 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
An awesome sander at an awesome price. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Now I am not one to have much faith in Ryobi tools at all, but when I saw this sander unopened at a yard sale for $25 I just had to pick it up. I am sure happy I did. This sander is great for sanding any types of curves weather inside or out. The sander comes with 5 different sized rubber fittings that hold sleeves up to 2 inches. The quill stroke on this machine is 5/8”. I was surprised and pleased to find a heavy cast iron top on a Ryobi tool. This thing also has LOTS OF POWER. I ran it through tests with different wood to see if I could even get it to slow down. I only felt it struggling a bit when I pushed 4” of hard maple against it with all my body weight but it only slowed down a couple RPM’s. Also, the dust collection is great. It gets well over 95% of the dust with just a shop vac. The only thing that i didn’t like about dust collection is that the port is inconveniently placed in the back facing down. Over all, I would buy this sander again even for the full price of $100.

PS. Even though these are discontinued, I see them on craigslist all the time.

View Cole Tallerman's profile

Cole Tallerman

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

Good review. :)
That’s a capable machine if the table is big enough for you.

It’s still made but with other labels on it instead of ryobi.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

Same machine with the Central Machinery label on it goes for $129.99 at Harbor Freight.

Triton used to market the same thing about $250.00

Popular rig for sure.

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

I have one of the Harbor Freight units. Caught it on sale for $89 just before it went up to a little over $100, now it’s $129. Seems like it jumped up pretty fast, at least at my store.
I agree, it’s a pretty good unit, and takes the same drums as the Rigid sander with the belt unit. My only complaint is the dust collection is SO good, sometimes your work stops at certain points, being sucked down by the holes in the dust collection plate that surrounds the sanding drum. Other than that, it’s a very good sander.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View AJswoodshop's profile

AJswoodshop

Great review! Might consider getting this one.

AJ

-- If I can do it.....so can you! -AJswoodshop

View felkadelic's profile

felkadelic

Thanks for the review! I find myself using my Ridgid Belt/Spindle Sander much more than I ever thought I would.

Nice scrore. For 25 who could pass i up. I had one for a while and wore it out quckly and upgraded to a Jet. Well done.

View Mark Blomster's profile

Mark Blomster

I bought the same one at Home Depot, maybe 5-6 years ago and have gotten lots of use from it. It’s a nice little sander. My only gripe is that the on/off switch could’ve been on the wide side of the table, so you don’t have to reach around to flip it off.

View ferstler's profile

ferstler

I purchased the last one at a Home Depot a couple of years back for $67. A very good tool that I get a lot of use out of. The on/off switch became a bit oddly worn some time ago (causing the spindle speed to vary at times), but I took the switch apart, cleaned and filed it, and after putting it back together the unit worked fine. The switch seems to be the only weak point, but I think that is the case with a lot of hobby-grade tools, because I even had one stick in the on position with a table saw some time back. Taking it apart and cleaning and filing it fixed that problem, too. I know that Grizzly offers such switches for sale, so maybe they are not all that durable in the first place.

Howard Ferstler

View runswithscissors's profile

runswithscissors

Actually, I think the Ryobi table is somewhat larger than HF’s. I have one, but have set it aside now that I have the Ridgid spindle/belt sander. I’d keep the Ryobi, but my shop is crowded as it is.