Great ROS

Review by PittsburghTim posted 08-24-2012 11:12 PM 2430 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great ROS No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this sander over six months ago and am certain that it’s the best ROS that I have ever used. It’s much easier to handle than the older Porter Cable unit that I have borrowed from my father in the past and is light years ahead of the 5” Dewalt that I own in finish, stock removal, and dust collection. It can remove material fast with the heavier grits and leaves a fine finsh as you work up to 240 or 320. The cannister filter that came with it worked very well. With the optional 16 ft dust collection hooked up to my Rigid Shop Vacuum with the HEPA filter installed, it is practically dustless.

I have been so happy with this purchase, i picked up a 5” one hand version to replace my Dewalt. I have a friend
whose husband is just getting into woodworking who will be glad to have it. Perhaps, I will review it once I have used it a bit more.

My only complaint is that it requires six-hole hook and loop paper. Other than the Bosch brand, most papers, including the Mirka gold that I favor, have eight holes. The only reason I didn’t drop this to four stars is that the dust collection seems to work just as well with the eight-hole paper as it does with the six.

This is the first Bosch tool that I have owned. My experience with this sander will definitely cause me to consider them in the future.

-- She asked me, "Who are you going to please with that?" I said, "Me."

View PittsburghTim's profile

PittsburghTim

View sixstring's profile

sixstring

#1 posted 08-24-2012 11:42 PM

Nice. I have the 5” Bosch and it works like a charm. Bosch puts a good tool together. I esepecially love my 1617 router and could probably use a few more. The 24×4 belt sander actually works too well.

Enjoy the tools!

-- JC Garcia, Concord, CA : "It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission..."

View albachippie's profile

albachippie

#2 posted 08-25-2012 07:56 AM

I have several bosch tools. Maybe I should review them! I have found them all to be top quality for the price. My Dad has a 6” dewalt ros, and I have the 6” bosch equivelent. I by far prefer the bosch! Hooked up to my trend vac, no dust gets a chance to escape.

Thanks for the review, good job.

-- Garry fae Bonnie Scotland - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Garry-Macdonald-Woodwork/425518554215355?ref=hl

View pmayer's profile

pmayer

#3 posted 08-25-2012 10:27 AM

Nice review. I have the same sander and agree with your assessment. Great tool.

-- PaulMayer, http://www.vernswoodgoods.com

View Moron's profile

Moron

#4 posted 08-26-2012 02:54 AM

Its top heavy, making it harder to control, kinda like flipping a fried egg with a golf club.

what about variable speed or is peddle to the medal on the trigger ?

I was once a fan of Bosch, till they sold out to the lowest bidder, off shore ……somewhat suspect now

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

View PittsburghTim's profile

PittsburghTim

#5 posted 08-26-2012 12:34 PM

It is variable speed, but like most sanders, the speed is controlled by a separate dial. I haven’t found it to be top heavy, but I use it mostly on pieces being laid flat on my workbench or assembly table. I prefer to do as much sanding as possible before final assembly. I would not want to use this sander on vertical surfaces all day long, but I have done it on occasion and did not find it to be burdensome.

-- She asked me, "Who are you going to please with that?" I said, "Me."

View Mark Davisson's profile

Mark Davisson

510 posts in 2065 days

#6 posted 08-26-2012 12:51 PM

I believe this sander is manufactured in Switzerland.

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

View pmayer's profile

pmayer

#7 posted 09-01-2012 01:05 AM

I agree with you, Tim, I didn’t find it difficult to control at all. In fact, for a good test use a single finger to control the sander as you sand a large surface. It is amazing how easy it is to maneuver even with one finger.

On horizontal surfaces I can’t imagine a ROS that is easier to control. For vertical sanding, it is a bit on the bulky side but not too bad on smaller projects. I recently had a project that required a fair amount of vertical sanding so I swapped out the 6” pad and installed the 5”, and made it easier to manage.

-- PaulMayer, http://www.vernswoodgoods.com