Tenonalisious

Review by David White posted 604 days ago 1673 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Tenonalisious No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

As is often the case with Carba-Tec tools (FYI, Carba-Tec is Australia and New Zealand’s equivalent to Rockler), this is probably some other companies product that has been bought under licence and rebranded (this is common place – my Carba-Tec branded bench top mortiser for example, came with an Axminster user manual).

It is none the less an excellent piece of equipment and well worth the NZ$180 that I spent on it.
It is very heavy and solidly made, and was bang on accurate right out of the box. It’s easy to set up and use and makes cutting tenons a breeze – I did 16 in about ¾ of an hour.

It features 0 to 45° back stop, multi-position control levers for easy adjustment and large crank handles for fast clamping.

I realise of course that many people may opt to make their own tenoning jig, but frankly I’d be surprised if many could make something as accurate and quick and easy to set up as this. If you’re like me and have limited time in the shop as it is, buying a tool like this makes way more sense than trying to make one IMO.

-- Auckland, New Zealand

View David White's profile

David White

View SKlaus's profile

SKlaus

How did you buy it? Was it online? I have little experience buying tools from out of the country…

-- 2 Timothy 2:15 "Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

View David White's profile

David White

Well I live in New Zealand, so it was just a case of driving down the road to their store and buying it.

I do know that both Rockler and Woodcraft have almost identical jigs to this one so you might look at those. You probably would not want it shipped over any distamce though as it is very heavy.

-- Auckland, New Zealand

View rlance's profile

rlance

This appears to be a Delta tenoning jig.

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

I agree with riance, it looks just like my Delta tenoning jig … even down to the color!

I paid $89 for mine a number of years ago!

I had to modify mine for my 40+ year old Craftsman TS as the miter slots did not give me the adjustment range I needed! It was easy to do; I just had to add a couple of other base mounting screws.

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

I’ve got the Delta and it looks exactly like mine. I should really read the instructions, lol. I know it can do a lot more than I ask it to. I just kind of brute it up to the cut line and go.

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

There are at least half a dozen names that can be found banded onto this particular Delta Tenoning Jig.

...and in most of it’s forms it is relatively well made and a pretty versatile tool.

View PC24omni's profile

PC24omni

Looks exactly like the Delta. I have one. Maybe the picture doesn’t depict clear enough to see it otherwise.

-- Marty - Verona, Va.

View mantwi's profile

mantwi

I bought the generic Woodcraft tenon jig and was not happy with it. The adjustment for the miter slots was two allen screws which created excessive drag when tightened enough to take the slop, it had a gritty feel to it and the screws would not hold their position for long. It wound up being shelved, lesson learned. It sounds like this carbatec jig is much better than the Woodcraft version. The next time I buy one from Woodcraft it will be tested in the store on one of their display saws. I’m glad you found a good one, too bad it’s in New Zealand instead of Knoxville Tennessee.