Not a big fan

Review by Blah Blahbalh posted 08-23-2012 04:04 AM 1980 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Not a big fan No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

When I bought my first truckload of wood, I thought that a 6” sander made more sense than a 5”. More surface area, larger handles, etc.

It has become a bit of a money pit if nothing else. The sanding discs don’t seem to adhere nearly as good as either of the two 5” sanders that I have despite trying multiple brands.

What’s worse is that I bought this at Home Depot and they don’t sell replacement pads, so after driving around town all day I just ended up buying a second sander. Considering a replacement pad is $30 and the sander is a bit over $100, it doesn’t seem fair.

The handles and grips are very study and comfortable for a long sanding session. The variable speed switch isn’t well positioned but works well.

I bought a 5” DeWalt and despite is being much smaller and without variable speed control, has become my go to favorite – it’s also half the price and replacement pads are readily available.

View Blah Blahbalh's profile

Blah Blahbalh

View Paul's profile

#1 posted 08-23-2012 01:43 PM

I have the 5 inch model and don’t much like it either, noisy and the switch is difficult to turn on/off. The warranty does work but a lot of hassle. I agree, there are better buys out there.

View Tennessee's profile

2020 posts in 1606 days

#2 posted 08-23-2012 07:21 PM

Boy, glad I caught this, I been thinking of one of these.
I have a bevy of 5” units, and also thought a 6” would cut time off. Looks like not.
Thanks for the info!

-- Paul, Tennessee,

View Howie's profile

2656 posts in 2015 days

#3 posted 08-23-2012 10:46 PM

I’m like Paul. I have the 5” model and as much as I like Ridgid tools,this one leaves something to be desired. I also have a 5” PC that I like much better.
I buy all my disks from Klingspor. No problems with the disks.

-- Life is good.

View TheOldTimer's profile

#4 posted 08-23-2012 11:31 PM

There is a big difference between the 6” and 5” sanders when it comes to large areas. I use the 6” for stock wider then 5” and the 5” for narrow stock. My sanders are Festool which are well worth the dollars spent. They are the only sanders I will ever own along with the Festool dust extractor. By the way, I own the Ridgid 6” & 5” models but seldom use them. Had no problems with them except for the vibration and poor dust control.

-- TheOldTimer,Chandler Arizona

View RussellAP's profile

#5 posted 08-25-2012 01:03 AM

I have the 5” Ridgid and the 5” DeWalt. The Ridgid doesn’t spin quite fast enough for me, but does a decent job. The DeWalt seems to keep spinning a lot better.

-- A positive attitude will take you much further than positive thinking ever will.

View Mathew Nedeljko's profile

Mathew Nedeljko

#6 posted 08-25-2012 05:09 AM

Hmmm I am going to have to go against the grain on this one. I have had the 6” model for a couple of years now and I like it very much. I have never had any problem with discs sticking to it, and it dust extraction is great with my shop vac equipped with thein separator. I have the smaller 5” PC model as well but the big dog is my go to sander.

-- Aim high. Ride easy. Trust God. Neale Donald Walsch

View Gary's profile

#7 posted 08-25-2012 06:14 PM

Gotta agree with Otto. I have the 6” and would be willing to trade it fora button or a loose thread….even a pile of sawdust

-- Gary, DeKalb Texas only 4 miles from the mill

View crank49's profile

3900 posts in 2063 days

#8 posted 08-25-2012 06:56 PM

I have the 5” Ridgid.
It was my first ROS so I don’t have anything to compare to.

I really like it except for the stupid on/off switch.
I have arthritis and punching those alkwardly placed buttons is a PITA.

I was debating between the 5” and 6” a couple years ago when I bought the 5” ; after reading a few bad reviews on the 6”. Guess they haven’t changed anything based on customer complaints; huh.

Instead, for major stock removal I got a HF 4” x 24” magnesium belt sander. A 15 amp 10 lb beast of a machine. Costs about the same as the 5” ROS machines out there when on sale.

Been thinking about putting a couple skis on the front, hitching a trailer to the rear with a deep cycle battery and an inverter, then I could throw a saddle on it and ride in the snow. :^)

-- Michael: Hillary has a long list of accomplishments, though most DAs would refer to them as felonies.