Great all around saw

Review by Mat posted 2306 days ago 2632 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great all around saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Since I didn’t have a handsaw of any type around the shop, I went ahead and picked up this very usual looking item at the big box store for $20. So far I’ve only used it to cut/trim a some 2×4 and 1×3 stock for some garage storage that I’ll post as a project when I have more time.

The grip – The saw has a nice long grip that’s made of some type of rubber…it’s fits nicely in my large hands and does’t slip at all with the texturing on it. The grip is about 1 1/2 feet long and allows you to hold it at a comfortable angle for the type of cut you’re doing. The handle shape and size reminds me of those nice Japanese saws I’ve see on the web.

The blade- The bade is double edged with a medium edge on one side and a fine edge on the other and is really flexible…enough to do some flush cuts later on. I believe it’s made of spring steel. The blade cuts on the pull and is really effortless going through some pine. The cuts I did make came out smooth and clean. Supposedly, there are additional blades that can be swapped out if you’d like.

View Mat's profile

Mat

View grovemadman's profile

grovemadman

Yeah I have the bear saw and I can never find the accessory blades either. For the price I suppose it doesn’t matter much. Anyway they are nice saws for the money and I think once you try a pull saw you will never go back to western style push saws. Nice review – Thanks!

-- --Chuck

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

Nice review. Thanks.

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

I am a complete convert to pull saws. You will like it. Thanks for the review.

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19313 posts in 2448 days

Interesting saw Mat. thanks for the review.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View pinkiewerewolf's profile

pinkiewerewolf

I have that saw also. It is a pleasurem to use compared to a “push” saw.
On mine the variations of the teeth make it a useful saw for many different applications. with or against the grain. (on one side they go from course to fine by the handle)
Have fun!
P.S. Home Depot had other blades for these saws at my local store. Try their online service as they usually offer more products.
Pinkie

-- John, Nor-Cal, shopsmith.net/forums

View SP8's profile

SP8

#6 posted 2072 days ago

The fine side is great for cutting dowels flush.

-- R K SP8 "The 10 Commandments are NOT multiple choices"

View kefob1's profile

kefob1

9 posts in 2044 days

#7 posted 2044 days ago

They take a while to get used to but it pays off. I work in the UK and I always get comments on the japanese pull saws I use. Most of the time the different carpenters and appretices I meet go out and purchase one after using mine.Easy to break apart and put in your tool box.I bought a Tajima pull saw about five years ago and I still use it, I havent had to change the blade and it gets used on a daily basis.
We use cheap hardpoint push saws also and go through a large amount of these every year.
I can get 3 different size pull saws for about £20 sterling.