Great all around saw

Review by Mat posted 03-31-2008 05:19 PM 2986 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great all around saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Since I didn’t have a handsaw of any type around the shop, I went ahead and picked up this very usual looking item at the big box store for $20. So far I’ve only used it to cut/trim a some 2×4 and 1×3 stock for some garage storage that I’ll post as a project when I have more time.

The grip – The saw has a nice long grip that’s made of some type of rubber…it’s fits nicely in my large hands and does’t slip at all with the texturing on it. The grip is about 1 1/2 feet long and allows you to hold it at a comfortable angle for the type of cut you’re doing. The handle shape and size reminds me of those nice Japanese saws I’ve see on the web.

The blade- The bade is double edged with a medium edge on one side and a fine edge on the other and is really flexible…enough to do some flush cuts later on. I believe it’s made of spring steel. The blade cuts on the pull and is really effortless going through some pine. The cuts I did make came out smooth and clean. Supposedly, there are additional blades that can be swapped out if you’d like.

View Mat's profile

View grovemadman's profile

#1 posted 03-31-2008 07:44 PM

Yeah I have the bear saw and I can never find the accessory blades either. For the price I suppose it doesn’t matter much. Anyway they are nice saws for the money and I think once you try a pull saw you will never go back to western style push saws. Nice review – Thanks!

-- --Chuck

View GaryK's profile

#2 posted 03-31-2008 08:44 PM

Nice review. Thanks.

View rikkor's profile

#3 posted 03-31-2008 11:19 PM

I am a complete convert to pull saws. You will like it. Thanks for the review.

View Grumpy's profile

20734 posts in 2942 days

#4 posted 03-31-2008 11:37 PM

Interesting saw Mat. thanks for the review.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View pinkiewerewolf's profile

#5 posted 04-07-2008 11:43 PM

I have that saw also. It is a pleasurem to use compared to a “push” saw.
On mine the variations of the teeth make it a useful saw for many different applications. with or against the grain. (on one side they go from course to fine by the handle)
Have fun!
P.S. Home Depot had other blades for these saws at my local store. Try their online service as they usually offer more products.

-- John, Nor-Cal,

View SP8's profile

#6 posted 11-19-2008 10:19 PM

The fine side is great for cutting dowels flush.

-- R K SP8 "The 10 Commandments are NOT multiple choices"

View kefob1's profile

#7 posted 12-17-2008 11:50 PM

They take a while to get used to but it pays off. I work in the UK and I always get comments on the japanese pull saws I use. Most of the time the different carpenters and appretices I meet go out and purchase one after using mine.Easy to break apart and put in your tool box.I bought a Tajima pull saw about five years ago and I still use it, I havent had to change the blade and it gets used on a daily basis.
We use cheap hardpoint push saws also and go through a large amount of these every year.
I can get 3 different size pull saws for about £20 sterling.