A Bit Better

Review by Roger Clark aka Rex posted 08-22-2012 05:50 PM 2151 views 1 time favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A Bit Better A Bit Better A Bit Better Click the pictures to enlarge them

I had some brad point wood drill bits that were not drilling a decent hole which I was about to replace. The I remembered everyone’s advice about getting the best tools you can (within budget restraints) if you want and expect quality and long lasting performance.

Well after looking and reading for some time about different bit manufacturers and user’s reports on their performance, I decided to purchase a 7 piece set of Colts for about $18.00.
My God was I blown away by their performance, it was like night and day, and would not hesitate to any other woodworking to invest in Colt Twinland Brad Points Bits.

” Description from Colt
1. Exclusive TwinLand design improves accuracy and eliminates burning
2. Second land provides improved guidance when hand drilling
3. Second land seals flutes to prevent chip squeezing and burning
4. Unique brad point design produces cleaner holes while ensuring pin point accuracy in wood
5. Roll-forged flutes and diamond ground tips for sharper, longer life.

Product Description
At first glance Colt “Twinland” bits may appear to be a 4 fluted, however, a closer look shows that the bits have a slight relief milled in the land (flat area between the flutes) to create 4 lands rather than 2. The extra lands improve guidance when drilling by hand, and help seal the flutes to prevent chip squeezing and burning. The flutes are milled at a 25 degree angle, which vastly improves chip ejection and helps reduce friction and burning. The flutes are roll forged and the cutting tips have been diamond ground to stay sharper and last longer longer. Ideal for boring holes in softwoods, hardwoods, exotic woods, veneers, and laminated wood. Bits under 3/4” have 3/8” or smaller shanks. Bits over 3/4” have 1/2” shanks. Made from alloy steel. Germany.”

I cannot add any more than the manufacturer’s description, I can however assure you that these bits are super. They will not disappoint you.

-- Roger-R, Republic of Texas. "Always look on the Bright Side of Life" - An eyeball to eyeball confrontation with a blind person is as complete waste of Time.

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

#1 posted 08-22-2012 07:27 PM

Great review, thank you Roger.

View jusfine's profile

jusfine

#2 posted 08-22-2012 10:17 PM

Roger, I have the same set, also bought the Metric version just in case…

I love them as well, they are so well made!

-- Randy "You are judged as much by the questions you ask as the answers you give..."

View boxcarmarty's profile

boxcarmarty

#3 posted 08-22-2012 10:24 PM

I’m gonna have to give them a try Rex. I bought a cheap set that HF had on sale one time. Not only did they produce a sloppy cut, But after getting them home and measuring them with a dial caliper, They weren’t even properly sized…..

-- My mind is like lighting, one brilliant flash, then its gone.....

View Dave's profile

Dave

#4 posted 08-22-2012 10:30 PM

Me to roger thanks for the heads up.

-- Superdav "No matter where you go - there you are." http://chiselandforge.com

View jack1's profile

jack1

1939 posts in 2714 days

#5 posted 08-22-2012 10:32 PM

thanks

-- jack -- ...measure once, curse twice!

#6 posted 08-23-2012 12:06 AM

Marty, Dave, You will notice immediately how much better they are, and they are not too expensive either. I also read great reviews on their Forstner Bits (Fisch), but they are expensive.

The 7 piece set gives you the basic sizes, and you can purchase any in between sizes you need (1/16s, 1/32s) as singles items.

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#7 posted 08-23-2012 01:50 AM

Great review Roger. Did you order those on line? That seems like a very reasonable price to me. I think I paid more for my Porter Cable set :(

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

#8 posted 08-23-2012 04:19 AM

gfadvm:

View David White's profile

David White

118 posts in 1968 days

#9 posted 08-23-2012 08:13 AM

Great review – thanks. I was just about to go out and buy a set of bits so this was great!

-- http://thecraftsmanstudio.com

View live4ever's profile

live4ever

#10 posted 08-23-2012 10:06 AM

I have these and I think they are one of the best values in brad point bits. That being said, the brad point and spurs on mine did dull pretty quickly (not after that much use), which is probably why they are as cheap as they are. They are my go-to utility set now that they’re a bit duller, and I’m hoping to spring for a Lee Valley set soon for the finest work.

-- Optimists are usually disappointed. Pessimists are either right or pleasantly surprised. I tend to be a disappointed pessimist.

View Roger's profile

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#13 posted 08-24-2012 12:44 AM

Roger, those bits look really SUPER GOOD!

I will put them on my Wish List…

Thank you!

View rustynails's profile

rustynails

#14 posted 08-24-2012 02:28 AM

They look and sound like good bits. thanks for posting…

View devann's profile

devann

#15 posted 08-25-2012 04:47 AM

well done Roger. What are the sizes that came in your set?

-- Darrell, making more sawdust than I know what to do with