The Ultimate DIY Guide

Review by MsDebbieP posted 704 days ago 2171 views 1 time favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The Ultimate DIY Guide No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This book review is from the August 2012 issue of our LumberJocks’ eMag

Fox Chapel Publishing is donating another book for a free draw! (See below for details)
Cigar Box Guitars by David Sutton

“Cigar Box Guitars”, according to the cover is “The Ultimate DIY Guide for Makers and Players of the Handmade Music Revolution”. My first thought was, “Ultimate? Uh-huh.” ... and then I looked inside! It didn’t take long before my initial scan turned into reading different passages.

“To fret or not to fret” – well, don’t fret. Apparently there are no mistakes, just unexpected opportunities. And what does good ol’ Daniel Boone have to do with cigar box guitars? Well, Daniel didn’t ever get lost, just bewildered. Wise words for woodworkers.

Beyond the humour (which had me chuckling many times) there is the basic thirty-one steps, start to finish, described with text and pictures taking the builder from box to a tuned guitar. The process looks rather quite “easy” (I say loosely) and if I had any type of talent or patience I think I could have myself a pretty cool instrument.

But this isn’t where the book ends. No, no, no. It is filled with inspirations – um, a crutch turned into a guitar!!??? —and more guided instructions for more complex box guitars. There is the “Fretted Three-String with Piezo Pickup” instructions and the “Six-String Electric Guitar” instructions.

But, again, that’s not all! Along with the how-to components of the book the author provides us with fifteen different profiles, introducing us to artists (music and builder), providing even more inspiration to find a cigar box and start building.

This, to me, is a fantastic book for someone interested in making their own musical instrument. I’m inspired!

WIN A FREE BOOK

One random draw winner will receive a copy of the book.
To enter your name in the draw, click here and answer the two easy questions.
Deadline: September 10, 2012

Another big thank-you to Fox Chapel Publishing for their continued donation of books for free draws here at LumberJocks.com.

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

View Roger's profile

oh yea

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View woodmaker's profile

woodmaker

I want to make one!

I play some guitar and this would be a real treat.

-- Mike