Kelton - McNaughton M8 Center Saver - AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE TOO!!!!!!!

Review by los posted 08-14-2012 03:12 PM 3031 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Kelton - McNaughton M8 Center Saver - AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE TOO!!!!!!! Kelton - McNaughton M8 Center Saver - AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE TOO!!!!!!! Kelton - McNaughton M8 Center Saver - AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE TOO!!!!!!! Click the pictures to enlarge them

Fellow Jocks,

Most of you probably have heard of the Center Saver system. For those of you who have not, its a great tool system for bowl/platter turning that lets you “save” or core out the inside of your bowl blanks to make smaller blanks from the same blank of wood instead of just creating tons of shavings.

I recently found some “free” wood on craigslist and it turned out to be a huge norway maple tree that someone had taken down and saved the 8 ft trunk section. The trunk section was close to 5 feet across…..needless to say I spent a few hours cutting out large bowl blanks with the chainsaw (probably 15-20 large blocks).

Now 15-20 free blanks of figured maple is awesome…..but 40-50 roughed out bowls is even better!!!

I was able to use the Center Saver system on all of the blanks.

Great tool. It takes some getting used to but once you get used to the different tricks its an awesome tool and well worth the price.

Now on top of a great product, they have awesome customer service…...I went to their home page – http://www.kelton.co.nz/index.html and asked about a particular problem I was having. I was expecting an email or system generated reply, what I got was Kel McNaughton himself calling me to discuss the issue in detail. He actually called me 5-6 times until we stopped playing phone tag(he was in New Zealand….) and spoke over the phone. Very nice guy and was really helpful in helping me with my issue.

I told him about Lumberjocks and that I was going to review the product and their service…..here you go.

I added the website picture above as well as two pictures of a set of rough turnings I did with the system.

View los's profile

los

#1 posted 08-15-2012 02:39 AM

Thanks for the review

View AttainableApex's profile

AttainableApex

#2 posted 08-16-2012 08:40 AM

what problem were you having?

-- Ben L

View los's profile

los

#3 posted 08-16-2012 10:54 AM

Ben-

I was having trouble with the final inch or two of cutting. The recommendation Kel gave me was that I had my height a little too low and as the blade was coming around it was well below center and wasnt actually cutting but just rubbing.

There were a couple other little things, more like technique than anything else.

Great tool for saving wood from going into the shavings bin.

View Gshepherd's profile

Gshepherd

#4 posted 08-19-2012 12:49 AM

Thanks for the review, I have been thinking of this system for some time….. It already paid for itself with your recent CL find….

-- What we do in life will Echo through Eternity........

View Micahm's profile

Micahm

#5 posted 11-20-2013 02:44 AM

Thank you for the review! I have been thinking about one of these. Glad to here they have such wonderful customer support!

-- The things I make may be for others, but how I make them is for me. - Tony Konovaloff