Ridgid 18-Volt Lithium Ion Drill Driver and Impact Driver Combo Kit $179

Review by TopamaxSurvivor posted 721 days ago 9137 views 1 time favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ridgid 18-Volt Lithium Ion Drill Driver and Impact Driver Combo Kit $179 No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

My old 14 volt batteries are getting tired, the chuck is wearing out and the drill is getting a bit loose. It is still very serviceable, but is is pre-lifetime warranty. The cost of batteries is prohibitive as compared to just replacing the whole thing with a new drill, battery and charger. Especially with life time warranty on the new batteries.

A few months ago I read a review about the newer 18 volt Ridgid drill being a little short on battery time. I decided to pass and just shop for new batteries. But… Ridgid came out with this combo kit, it has lifetime warranty and Home Depot has a 90 day return policy. Plenty of time to try it out, so I took the plunge. Glad I did.

The drill has plenty of battery time for me. The batteries have a gas gauge that indicates the charge in quarters. If I am going into an inaccessible area, I can switch or charge up if it is low. Nothing worse than crawling around in and on steel beams for 10 minutes to get to a hole that needs to be drilled, only to find you are out of gas ;-(

The impact driver quickly became my favorite even though I have a pair of 9 volters. One of them came with my 14 volt drill as a combo a few years ago when I needed to “tool up” for an employee.

These are lighter and handier than the older 14 and 9 volt combo models. I think the thing I like the most is how short and compact the drill is compared to the older 14 volt. It drills places I had to drill at an angle or use a 90 degree drill before.

The pair with 2 batteries and a charger is just too good to pass up. I have heard complaints about Ridgid service, but I have not had any trouble. An 18 volt sawzall still under warranty was repaired in a few days, no questions ask. I had a non-warranty driver repaired promptly at a very reasonable cost and it was picked up and delivered at no charge.

Why post this now? I looked at the calendar today. It was still on July. I flipped the page. There was a big note to return or register the drill. I’m going to register it ;-)

View bluekingfisher's profile

bluekingfisher

Thanks for the update Bob, we don’t have the rigid brand here in the UK but I think with all the technology the quality and endurance of batteries is on the up. The batteries themselves are very expensive here too, making it a no brainer when a battery runs dead, cheaper to buy a tool where a combo package is offered. I am actually looking to find two batteries for my Makita NiCd impact driver, even they are still procey.

-- No one plans to fail, they just, just fail to plan

TopamaxSurvivor

Makita was my favorite until I needed batteries. HD had just bought Ridgid. The tool man told me they intended to corner the battery tool market. They had prices I couldn’t pass up; hence, the switch. Of course, I work out of a truck. The best buy on a good tool is a consideration. Have had too many of them stolen ;-( One was stolen out of a hospital emergency area. The guy got a real bargain ;-) Drill with a battery on its last legs ;-)) ;-)) I was about to replace it anyway. He just saved me a few days of aggravation before I made the move.

View Jeff in Huntersville's profile

Jeff in Huntersville

Thanks for the review. I have these in a multi-tool set. Last spring I used the hammer drill all day while re-doing my deck and never needed a new battery. Great tool.

View Roger's profile

Nice review.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

Great review. Thanks for the info.

View Julian's profile

Julian

I have only 1 Rigid battery powered drill. It is not the compact size like yours in the picture. It was on clearance so I bought it. After a couple of weeks one of the two batteries died. It wouldn’t recharge. I never registered the drill and was out of luck with the warranty when I called. The other battery is working fine and the drill has plenty of power. That has been my only experience with Rigid drills. I also have Makita and Ryobi drills which work just as well for me. Lesson learned: register your tools when you buy them.

-- Julian

I have Milwaukee drills , they have been good but now the batteriers no longer hold the charge or no longer take full charge. I am going to have t buy new ones soon and Rigid is my favorite as it offers excellent value. so I might the same thing you did and buy the set

TopamaxSurvivor

I have missed registration deadlines too. Procrastination is a costly failing ;-) Fortunately none of my unregistereds have had any problems.

This is why always do these things first thing, without any delay.

View sikrap's profile

sikrap

989 posts in 1963 days

I wish this set had been available a couple months ago. This is a very good deal, especially since even the batteries are covered by the lifetime warranty. Nothing wrong with the Bosch set I bought, this is just a better deal.

-- Dave, Colonie, NY

View crank49's profile

crank49

I got the Milwaukee version of those tools in a combo a couple of years ago. Super nice. I’ve not had any issue with the batteries not taking or holding a charge. I especially like how the Lithium Ion batteries in these new tools will hold their charge when in storage. Sometimes I won’t use the 1/4” impact driver for a couple of months, but its battery is always ready to go when I need it.

I think one of the keys to getting good life out of rechargable batteries is to use them till they start to slow down, then charge them fully and remove them from the charger promptly. Ive got a Braun rechargable razor that’s 12 years old, still on its first battery.

-- Michael :-{| “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.” ― A H

TopamaxSurvivor

This is why always do these things first thing, without any delay.

I wonder how many people forget to register because of the 90 day try out/return period?

Based on the review saying the battery run time is low, I specifically intended to try them out and return if that turned out to be an issue.

Dave That is when Ridgid started this offer, about June 1 +/-

View patcollins's profile

patcollins

That is a damn goood price. I have the drill and paid $130 for it and two batteries.

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

I was looking at that set – plus my HD had a 12 inch sliding miter for $300, and a contractor table saw on a rising stand for about the same. I wonder if some components of the Ridgid brand is being slowly phased out as I don’t see replacements.

View jstn's profile

jstn

Thanks for the review. The project I was working on this morning was nearly ruined from breaking heads off the screws and I am tired of constantly stripping screw heads (I have a B&D corded drill). I went and bought the combo set at HD today after reading your review and I was so happy to use the driver (my first one). It’s such a great feeling to drive a screw without stripping it … sometimes it’s the simple things in life :)

I had previously gotten very angry at buying extremely expensive batteries that only seemed to last for 6 months on an old B&D Firestorm set. I’d been wanting to get the Makita after reading nothing but good reviews, but I just can’t shake my hate for buying batteries so I went for the Rigid. I’m hoping the lifetime service agreement ends up being as good a deal as it sounds (... like not needing to ever use it).

The driver is listed at having 1750 in-lbs of torque which is more than the makita, and it did great driving 2 1/2” wood screws into hard maple. It feels slightly heavier than the Makita did but I’m happy with it so far. While I was primarily interested in the driver, the drill also seems to be nicely made. It has a nice 1/2” Jacob’s chuck that is easy to operate and the drill seems to have plenty of power.