Starrett Fixed Sqaure

Review by USCJeff posted 03-31-2008 04:44 AM 5353 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Starrett Fixed Sqaure Starrett Fixed Sqaure No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’m hesistant to post this given I’ve heard nothing but praise concerning Starrett. This square was inexpensive, but I thought given the reputation it would be accurate if treated properly. After struggling with some botched miters I checked the square for accuracy. I did the simple test of using a known straight edge and drawing a line with a sharp instrument. Flip the square and draw another. Lines intersected after 5 inches. Tested a few other measuring tools to verify the results using the same straight edge and achieved parallel. My gut says this was a dud from a good company, but it’s the only Starrett I can attest to.

EDIT: After looking at the square and coming to some common sense, I’ve damaged it unknowingly. I’ve since repurchased the same model and love it. Cheap, but accurate. I’ll retract my earlier comments as my initial hesitation should have been heeded. Starrett’s reputation should speak for itself! I’ve changed to 4 stars as its accurate, but will reserve the 5 star rating for something I can’t mess up! :)

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#1 posted 03-31-2008 05:21 AM

I would be amazed if it came from the company like that. I remember seeing exactly how they make their
squares and they leave nothing to chance.

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#2 posted 03-31-2008 11:04 AM

If you didn’t get it new it may be suffering from abuse by a previous owner.

View Dominic Vanacora's profile

Dominic Vanacora

#3 posted 03-31-2008 05:06 PM

Starrett is a high quality tool manufacture and I would not expect this from them. If it is a new tool I would e-mail the company and note the problem you are having. I am sure they would make it right. Thanks for taking the time to educate us.

-- Dominic, Trinity, Florida...Lets be safe out there.

View jude's profile

jude

#4 posted 03-31-2008 08:17 PM

Have you ever tried something called the AngLevel by www.toplineinnovations.com? Supposedly it does the same thing as the Starrett but also measures angles, levels and more. I haven’t personally tried it enough to write a full review but wonder if anyone else has checked it out.

-- life can always be weaved into a song.

View ChicoWoodnut's profile

ChicoWoodnut

#5 posted 04-01-2008 04:39 AM

I have several Starrett tools and I have come to expect them to be of high quality. My perception from the pictures you posted are that this is not a new tool. It may even be a counterfeit.

Caveat emptor

-- Scott - Chico California http://chicowoodnut.home.comcast.net

View Dan'um Style's profile

Dan'um Style

#6 posted 04-01-2008 06:01 AM

many times squares are adjustable. if it was dropped, and knocked cock-eyed, a little research might find a remedy

-- keeping myself entertained ... Humor and fun lubricate the brain

View Myron Wooley's profile

Myron Wooley

#7 posted 04-01-2008 07:16 AM

Return it if you can and get a Starrett 6” Combination Square. Starrett tools are among the best- but I see lots of potential issues with this model square. Like not staying square!

-- The days are long and the years are short...

#8 posted 04-01-2008 07:41 PM

You might be right Scott. I’m sure it’s not a fake, but the close-up does show a nick or two. It was purchased new so I can only assume that I’m to blame and unknowingly did some damage. I could have but it that way, but I would think that I’d of caught that. Maybe not.

View gator9t9's profile

gator9t9

#9 posted 04-04-2008 08:51 PM

I think i would send this tool to the STARRETT company at my own expense just to see what they say ….STARRETT is one of the BEST ! This is the only negative comment i have ever seen about STARRETT. Something is amiss here …

-- Mike in Bonney Lake " If you are real real real good your whole life, You 'll be buried in a curly maple coffin when you die."

View TroutGuy's profile

TroutGuy

#10 posted 06-21-2008 10:08 PM

Having spent 25 years as a machinist, I’ve use a wide variety Starrett tools over the years. I also own a fair number. I can honestly say that they are as good as anything on the market. I don’t have a single complaint about any of them. That said, everybody makes a lemon now and then. I am more leery of manufacturers that claim ‘zero defects’, than ones that will back their product and repair/replace if needed. I would be very surprised if they wouldn’t make it right if you let them know about your problem.

-- There is nothing in the world more dangerous, than a woodworker who knows how to read a micrometer...

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

#11 posted 07-02-2010 07:32 PM

My first thought would be; the square was damaged somehow. The second; Starrett makes some of their tools in CHINA. I don’t think any tool that incorporates wood in it’s construction can ever be 100% accurate.

#12 posted 07-16-2010 03:41 PM

There’s some truth to the wood comment Ron. The design seems solid though even with wood. there is metal laminated where the measure hits the handle and there are metal crosspins. Both could be troubled by wood movement, but it seems they’ve designed it to compensate. I’ve concluded damage or fluke. I’ve since had no issues with their products and use them as a standard for ensuring other measures are accurate. It was a CHEAP price for a Starrett product. It isn’t a fake as I’m very familiar with the supplier. Paid for what I got comes to mind.