Needs More Mag

Review by pintodeluxe posted 08-06-2012 04:56 PM 1882 views 1 time favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Needs More Mag No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been interested in these magnetic featherboards since they first came out. Recently I saw Ridgid came out with their version so I gave it a try.
The idea is masterful.
The execution is not.
Although the fingers are supple, with just the right amount of pressure, the featherboard will not hold its position well. It would be hard to pull the featherboard straight up from a cast iron surface, however it slides too easily.
One of the main reasons for having a featherboard on the tablesaw is to prevent kickback. However, this unit will not keep the workpiece from moving backwards.
Also, if the magnets fall over the miter gauge slot, this will not work (doesn’t really matter because it doesn’t work anyway).
In review…
1. Good idea
2. Needs mare mag
3. Magnets need to be wider to span the miter gauge slot.
(see explanation of Ridgids change in magnet size below)

View GuyK's profile

GuyK

#1 posted 08-06-2012 07:22 PM

I bought one of these a couple of years ago from HD and it works great. I can hardly move it when the magnets are down. Willie if yours is that bad, I would take it back and get a new one, it maybe just that one.
Yes it does not span the miter gauge slot, but for me that has yet to be a issue.

-- Guy Kroll www.thelandsathillsidefarms.org

#2 posted 08-06-2012 08:11 PM

Thanks Guy,
I might just try that. I noticed the price dropped so I wondered if they are using smaller magnets now. Worth a try to take it back.
Thanks

View rdjack21's profile

rdjack21

#3 posted 08-06-2012 08:56 PM

I bought mine a few months ago and no issues with it moving when setup correctly.

-- --- Richard Jackson

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

#4 posted 08-06-2012 11:08 PM

Yep. I reviewed this product a while back and gave it 5 stars. The miter slot issue is a minor downside. However, I have no issue with the magnets. Takes a pretty deliberate act to get them to move even slightly. If you decide to exchange yours, let us know if the new featherboard is any better.

View MattinCincy's profile

MattinCincy

#5 posted 08-07-2012 12:46 AM

Yep, got the same one a few years ago and love it – I’m going to pick up a second one soon! Hopefully yours is just a fluke. Keep us posted if you return it.

-- Wag more, bark less.

View lysdexic's profile

lysdexic

#6 posted 08-07-2012 03:59 AM

Yea, I’ve been using one of these for about a year with no compliant.

-- It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe. - Muhammad Ali

View RetiredCoastie's profile

RetiredCoastie

#7 posted 08-07-2012 02:05 PM

Same here I’ve had mine for a year and I’ve had no problem with mine sliding. Like others have said, if it slips then I’d take it back and get another one. With that said make sure the surface of the magnet and table are clean of dust.

-- www.thepatriotwoodworker.com Proud Supporter of Homes For Our Troops

View Jeff82780's profile

Jeff82780

#8 posted 08-07-2012 02:17 PM

I would exchange it for another. Ive had one of these for about 2yrs now amd its still going strong. The magnets are really powerfu. I think u might have purchased a reject. Good luck!

View Chuck Anstrom's profile

Chuck Anstrom

#9 posted 08-08-2012 12:24 AM

I echo the other users’ comments. When “turned on”, this sucker will not move on my saw. Take it back and get another one.

-- Chuck Anstrom - Virginia

#10 posted 08-08-2012 03:53 AM

Well, I took the featherboard back and exchanged it for another one. There are two different magnet sizes. The old version has large, heavy magnets that measure 7/8” wide x 1-1/4” long. It locks down firmly and securely. The new version has notably smaller magnets, and the whole featherboard is light-duty.

It looks like Ridgid switched out magnets to achieve the new price point – $10 cheaper.
The result is a featherboard that doesn’t work. In typical Ridgid fashion, the model number is the same for both types – AC1001.
Old featherboard with large magnets = 5 stars great product.
New featherboard with small magnets = 3 stars (AKA don’t bother).
Thanks for the positive reviews.

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

#11 posted 08-08-2012 04:24 AM

I guess I better run down to the depot and see if I can score another old model.
Thanks for the update.

#12 posted 08-08-2012 11:54 AM

I have the Magswitch brand and it doesn’t move.
I have found, however, that even a small amount of dust on the table will allow it to slide.
Clearing the table each time I set the finger board makes it good.
By the way, It works well even when spanning the miter gauge slot.

Don

-- Will trade wife's yarn for tools.

View Jamie Speirs's profile

Jamie Speirs

#13 posted 08-08-2012 12:00 PM

I was looking at these for resawing

Anyone tried this option?

We get to magnet options from Magswitch

jamie

-- Who is the happiest of men? He who values the merits of others, and in their pleasure takes joy, even as though 'twere his own. --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

#14 posted 08-08-2012 02:09 PM

interesting review good info.

#15 posted 08-08-2012 07:31 PM

Don,
Yeah I think the Magswitch is a premium option. The price is in a whole new category with that brand. Plus every little optional accessory is another $30-50 add on.
I was pleased to see Ridgid had one, and happier still when I found an old version that truly works well. I think it all comes down to the size of the magnets.