Steel stick on tape

Review by guitchess posted 08-04-2012 06:08 PM 1838 views 2 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Steel stick on tape No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After realizing that I had stretched my vinyl tape when assembling my tablesaw, I started searching for a replacement. I knew that I wanted a steel tape so as to avoid the issue of stretch. The only version that I found online was $17 so I postponed buying so I could search for a cheaper alternative. I was killing time in the tool department at Walmart and stumbled on this one. the Komelon 12’ x 1/2” Flat Tape Ruler. As soon as I saw that it was steel I was interested and when seeing the price was only $4.88, I snatched it up.

I am very happy with this tape. So far(three days), the adhesive seems to be adequate. There has been no slipping or other movement. The markings are clear and sharp. The tape has a matt finish so shop lights do not reflect obscuring the tape while you use it. It’s 12’ long so there is plenty of length for almost any application.

There are a few flaws, however. Its only marked to 16ths, no 32ths, which makes finer work a little bit of a guess. It’s only 1/2” wide, which is not a big issue. It’s 12’ long so there is lots of wasted tape if your fence is only 36” like mine. It’s at Walmart. The location may not be a con, but availability will vary. Their website says that my local store has none in stock, but there were several more when I picked up mine just two days ago.

Overall, it’s cheap, it’s good, it’s a buy. I’m going to get a couple more just for backup purposes.

Thanks

View guitchess's profile

guitchess

View Milo's profile

Milo

#1 posted 08-04-2012 08:12 PM

Very nice! And at WallyWorld? I’ve got TWO projects I need that kind of tape for.

Thank you for an excellent and helpful review!

-- Beer, Beer, Thank God for Beer. It's my way of keeping my mind fresh and clear...

#2 posted 08-05-2012 03:46 PM

How accurate are the markings compared to your most used rule / measuring device ?
Sounds like a good buy , at least for rough cutting needs : ) Do you have the WalMart SKU , or were you able to find it at their online store under Komelon ?

View Chadster's profile

Chadster

#3 posted 08-05-2012 06:56 PM

I’ve seen this same tape at our Minnesota Menards stores. They look solid and well made. I like the white and black. My problem was that I only seen one direction of tape. Left to Right I believe. I think at the time I was searching for a Right to left tape. Does Walmart have both directions? I ended up getting the Kreg version on Amazon.

-- If it's worth doin', it's worth doin' right.

View rodman40's profile

rodman40

#4 posted 08-06-2012 12:11 PM

I found mine in measuring tapes section, got three at 4.88 each, plan to use them on tool tables also, thanks for the tip.

-- Rodman

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#5 posted 08-06-2012 05:02 PM

I was killing time in the tool department at Walmart

Oh my! You must be hard up :^)

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View Roger's profile

#6 posted 08-09-2012 12:36 AM

Wonderful! I hope they haven’t sold out of em..

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@yahoo.com