G0703P - Ignore the naysayers

Review by Gary777 posted 08-01-2012 04:22 AM 7660 views 1 time favorited 25 comments Add to Favorites Watch
G0703P - Ignore the naysayers G0703P - Ignore the naysayers G0703P - Ignore the naysayers Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hello All,

I finally upgraded to a better DC system for my shop. I had previously built a Thien Baffle for my HF DC and that worked pretty well (better than the stock HF DC) but I still had fine dust everywhere. I sold that DC before I moved last year.

In setting up my new shop I decided to treat myself so I started the hunt, I knew I wanted a Cyclone from past research and I also knew the size of the duct had a large part to play in its efficiency. I did a good amount of research and narrowed my list down to a couple of DC’s and them I came to lumber jocks to read the reviews. I almost spent the money on the Oneida however I have had have great experiences with Grizzly and a couple of reviewers who “actually bought the unit and used it” seemed to be very happy with their purchase.

So I took the plunge and ordered the 0703P and I am very happy that I did! First off it came quickly as do all Grizzly shipments and the price was unequaled. I was a little concerned about assembling this beast, they suggest two persons and I just had back surgery early last year (I’m fine now) but it was a non issue. she went together in about 45 minutes (I read all of the directions) and fired her up. POP, the 20 amp breaker (120VAC) tripped, but they said that would happen!

The cure was to install the 6” to 5” reducer (only needed for 20A circuits), and that worked fine but I wanted 6” duct. So I upgraded the circuit to a 30A the following day and fired her up, she purred like a kitten. Other folks have said this is a loud dust collector, it isn’t nearly as loud as the HF 1.5HP DC.

When the weekend arrived I plumbed the shop with 6” main duct to the RAS (Radial Arm Saw) and the Table Saw with an Aux outlet for less often used tools. the 6” is reduced to 4” at the Saw input and at the tee to the RAS which is 6” long. I installed the blast gates at the machine and used 45 degree elbows everywhere I could.

I fired her up and holy mackerel! As another reviewer said “This thing will suck the chrome off the bumper of a 56 Ford!” and it will.

I used to watch the shows where the shop never got dusty and assumed they had DC’s that sucked the chrome off of bumpers, well I guess that was right. This thing is awesome.

It’s gotten heavy usage a couple of times now and I’m impressed by how little dust has gathered in the bag under the filter and I am extremely happy with it’s performance in real use.

So, the less exciting part… You still have to empty the canister but you install a reusable liner bag, a couple of snaps of the clips holding on the lid and you are off to the trash can, a couple of minutes later you’re ready to suck more chrome!

Here is a video of the Cyclone to show the noise level.

I have attached a couple of pics, she is shoe horned into a corner nicely, I have to move a couple of machines (on wheels) to clean her out but she takes up very little space.

I definitely recommend this DC, and Grizzly in general.

Happy Dust Making!

Gary

Here is a video of the Cyclone to show the noise level.

-- Gary - Carson City, NV - "Every man looks upon his wood pile with a sort of affection." — Henry David Thoreau

View Roger's profile

#1 posted 08-01-2012 11:27 AM

Nice review Gary.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#2 posted 08-01-2012 02:08 PM

One thing I appreciate is that Grizzly doesn’t “fudge” the numbers on their HP ratings….

You may have been able to run the DC off of the 20 amp circuit if you had all your duct work up and machines attached (blowers draw max amps when they suck max. cfm through open pipes) but upgrading the circuit would be my choice as well. You probalbly know this, but you need 10 ga. wire on a 30 amp circuit (just swapping out the breaker in your panel, potentially pulling 30 amps through 12 ga. wire is a big no-no). My preference would have been to switch the motor to 220 wiring and run a dedicated 20 amp. 220 volt circuit.

Good luck with the new DC…. give us an update after you’re done with all your plumbing

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

#3 posted 08-01-2012 02:32 PM

It’s a really nice looking unit. This is the first time I’m seeing it. Thanks!

#4 posted 08-01-2012 03:37 PM

Nice review, Glad this is working out well. I hve grizzly tools and have been happy with them as well. I have a Penn Industries DC that works well

Well done.

View Mark Davisson's profile

Mark Davisson

494 posts in 1975 days

#5 posted 08-02-2012 02:46 AM

Thanks for the review, Gary! Sounds like you have a setup you’ll enjoy for many years to come!

I have one question. You wrote: “First off it came quickly as do all Grizzly shipments and the price was unequaled.” I’m not asking what you paid for the unit, but am asking what you meant when saying “the price was unequaled.” Just curious.

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#6 posted 08-02-2012 12:08 PM

Great review…If I ever get lucky enough to move into a bigger shop I would love to upgrade from my Steel City 1.5HP to a big cyclone like this. My friend has a Griz D/C in his cabinet shop that gets daily use for the last 25 years..still running. They are great with parts as well he has had to fix it a couple times and never had a problem getting parts for a 20+ year old machine!

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

#7 posted 08-02-2012 03:06 PM

ssnvet → 220VAC is my preferred choice as well but you have to order and swap out a control board ( P0703P088) to make the unit 220VAC, the board costs $64.00 from Grizzly. Plumbing is done and she runs like a dream.

Mark → When I did a cost comparison no other cyclone came close to the cost of this unit, I paid list which is $804.00 which included delivery. Having studied DC separation techniques and having built the Thein Baffle I knew that the cyclone was the way too go (I hate messing with those clear bags on single stage DC’s.) The Thein Baffle worked great but it can’t hold a candle to this cyclone.

Brad → Your post is a nice reinforcement of my choice to use Grizzly, the 1023 Table Saw was my first Grizzly purchase, I bought it used and the thing is a tank. I just love the thing, It’s an early model so it’s a bit older and I’ve had to do maintenance on it and as you say the parts are always available and I’m always amazed at how fast Grizzly ships. I own 4 large Grizzly machines now and I’m quite happy with all of them.

#8 posted 08-02-2012 03:15 PM

I’ve seen that one in the Grizz catalog, and it looks good, but that 775 CFM rating they give it worries me. I know most DC manufacturers outright lie about their machine CFM ratings, and if this thing would flow well enough for my little garage workshop, it might be what I want to upgrade to… I mean my 2HP HF DC / Thien combo is working allright, but I want to upgrade to 6” ducting, and I want a unit to keep up with it…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

#9 posted 08-02-2012 03:47 PM

dbhost → I’ll be honest, the CFM and static pressure worried me as well and almost stopped me from buying the unit. I haven’t done a flow or pressure test but I can tell you that this thing sucks WAY MORE dust than the HF did. And I mean by an order of magnitude!

I am convinced that the size of the duct and the pleated filter has made the difference, you can gain the same thing in a single stage unit making the same changes but then you lose that second stage of separation which is known to clog filters. When it runs you can tell that the motor on this thing is using way more power than the HF did and I attribute that to the additional volume of air being moved due to the pleated filter and ducting. You don’t want to leave small or light items anywhere near the openings on this setup or they will get sucked up. And my table saw dust compartment has never been so clean!

In all I have about 20’ of 6” main duct, and I have kept the 4” reduced feeds to a minimum. I have also duct taped all of the seams of the duct just to be safe.

View mrpedal's profile

mrpedal

#10 posted 08-02-2012 09:13 PM

Hey gary, when you were assembling… do you think the the cyclone inlet (aka “dust collector and filter assembly” http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g0703p_m.pdf pg 15) could be rotated? Looks like the bolt pattern is pretty regular where it connects to the housing/filter and also where it hits the cyclone cone. I ask since rotating intake port would allow for the machine to be oriented in a shop corner and connect to piping w/o additional routing.

Not sure if that makes sense…

#11 posted 08-02-2012 11:33 PM

Hi mrpedal, I seriously considered and looked into rotating it myself. That’s why the collector is perpendicular to the main duct in the picture.

I didn’t try it but it looks like it wouldn’t be a problem to rotate it as desired. The one minor issue is that the negative pressure hose that runs from the body of the cyclone to the lower collection drum (it keeps the bag from getting sucked into the cyclone) would be sticking out instead of being tucked in the middle of the frame of the collector. Not a big deal but just kind of odd looking.

I’d say go for it.

View Stovall's profile

Stovall

#12 posted 08-20-2012 12:38 AM

Thanks, Gary for the great review. Being fairly new to woodworking, i’m still purchacing some of the larger and pricier tools, such as upgrading my old craftmans portable table saw. I’d been looking at most of the major brands and had never heard of Grizzley until I saw an ad in woodworking mag. I have been very impressed with thier prices , comparing them to similar equiped tools. I was glad to see your 5 star review….

View Woodwrestler's profile

Woodwrestler

#13 posted 11-21-2012 02:17 AM

Great review.

-- What man is a man who does not make the world a better place?

View Woodwrestler's profile

Woodwrestler

#14 posted 11-21-2012 02:19 AM

Great review. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on and trying not to fall victim to the overkill for what I need and also the slick marketing trap. American Woodworker actually rated this unit very well against other more powerful units and gave it some high marks in certain areas. I might just have to bite the bullet and order one.

BY THE WAY, HOW GOOD HAS THE CRANK HANDLE FOR THE FILTER CLEANING BEEN WORKING?

-- What man is a man who does not make the world a better place?

#15 posted 11-21-2012 05:03 AM

Hi Woodwrestler,

The crank handle works just fine, it surprises me how little dust actually makes it to the bottom of the clear bag, the Cyclone catches just about everything.

A request was made the I shoot a video of it in action, I still plan on doing that but I’ve been busy. The main question from the video request is “How loud is the DC” I hadn’t thought much about it until the question was asked but since then I’ve been paying attention when I run it, and it’s quite loud!

I use hearing protection whenever I run a loud tool (Table saw, RAS, Router, Jointer, Planer…) but if I didn’t wear hearing protection out of habit the cyclone would probably make me want wear something for anything other than a short run.

I am thrilled with this unit and it’s been almost 4 months since I bought it, I’ve had absolutely no issues whatsoever and it sucks dust like crazy.