Micro Jig MJ Splitter Steel PRO System w/Double Splitters

Review by b2rtch posted 715 days ago 3433 views 0 times favorited 25 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Micro Jig MJ Splitter Steel PRO System w/Double Splitters Micro Jig MJ Splitter Steel PRO System w/Double Splitters Micro Jig MJ Splitter Steel PRO System w/Double Splitters Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is not full review but a first impression.

Being disappointed by another product that I bought to use for a riving knife , I have been looking around for another product which would give the protection/safety that I desire when using my Unisaw.
Last week I found the Micro Jig MJ Splitter Steel PRO System w/Double Splitters and after watching the videos on YouTube I ordered one on Amazon for $25.00.
I received it yesterday and I installed it this morning.
On the videos the installation seems a little bit confusing and complex but in fact by following the step by step, it is very easy, simple and quick.

This morning I ran a few board of white oak and of poplar through the saw and I am very impressed by this simple but effective product.
I especially like the mini-feather board effect which keeps the piece being cut tight against the fence.
My only concern now is to not loose the splitters, they are small and it would be very easy the sweep them away with the saw dust.

I bought this a while ago and have not intalled it. I agree i watched the video on Thurs and kind of chuckled at the demo. I really need to put this on this weekend. Thx for the post!

View ajosephg's profile

ajosephg

Thanks. A set of these are on my wish list.

-- Joe

View MontanaBob's profile

MontanaBob

I’ve been using these for some time now…They are one of those little things that really work great..

-- To realize our true destiny, we must be guided not by a myth from our past, but by a vision of our future

Bertha

I gave up on mine. I wasn’t impressed at all. No offense to anyone.

Bertha, why?

View patcollins's profile

patcollins

I wasn’t happy with mine either, been meaning to do a review but havent. The drill bit that came with mine was either slightly oversized or the posts that are on the splitters are too small so after drilling my Leecraft ZCI the splitters are wobbly. I managed to stabalize them into a usable position with some Gorilla glue but that wasn’t the elegant solution I was looking for.

Bertha

My complaint was mostly the same as PatCollins’. I ruined a zci trying to get it mounted and it was more complicated than it needed to be. I found them to be slightly thicker than the kerf and I don’t use an autofeeder, lol. I don’t like anything that requires increased feed effort. The kerfkeeper stays are too small. I lost mine the first day. Under the machine, sucked into the collector, under the bench, etc.
I had great expectations. My bad, probably.

Wow, just something else to keep up with. But I know someone who uses them and is happy with them

-- Norman

Bertha

^each to his own, Norman. Just another safety feature that I don’t use; I’ve got a bunch of them. I must have been interested; I bought it after all;)

Mine fit snugly in the holes.

View cpd011's profile

cpd011

I’ve been using mine for 2 months now and I love them. The install was easy and they fit snugly. I also love the featherboard effect.

View MontanaBob's profile

MontanaBob

Mine fit so snug that I can pull them out without using a screwdriver through the hole on top…I had no trouble installing them, and I also like the featherboard effect..

it is strange t me that some a loose and some are to tight as the drill bit “should” always be the same size.
If it was not it would not fit through the drilling guide or it would be way loose.
I guess that I am “lucky” as mine fit just right.

View Luke's profile

Luke

Mine are also a little tight in the holes but that’s the way I would prefer them to be. Installation was easy if you read all the directions word for word- very important. The system works great on my unisaw and the saw I had before. A word about loose and tight holes. There are a lot of factors besides drill bit diameter to consider when it doesn’t work. I.e. The type of insert, phenolic, pine, hardwoood, plastic and so forth. Also not all drills are in perfect alignment and can “wobble” the bit into the material instead of drilling a perfect hole.

-- LAS, http://www.abettersign.com

I have used mine all day yesterday and so far they work as expected, very well.
I cut some junk wood with a lot of internal tensions and these babies worked as they are supposed to.
My inserts are made 1/2” MDF, about the only place where I use MDF ( I “hate” this stuff)