This is The ONLY Construction Aheasive to Use

Review by Eric M. Saperstein posted 713 days ago 5145 views 4 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
This is The ONLY Construction Aheasive to Use No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’m going to keep this VERY simple … I strayed from this product today and regret it already.

Ignore all other construction adhesives. PL Ploy is the one to use.

It cures in 24 hours as long as the temperature and humidity are within a normal day. It’s much faster in the summer with high humidity and it’s slower in the winter when its cold and dry. This can be adjusted by adding some moisture to the mix (spray a wood surface lightly … before applying)

We use this stuff constantly. It holds to anything, fills gaps, and it can be dyed with transtints.

Liquid Nails is a waste of time and money – watch out they say “DRY” time NOT cure time w/ that product. Some of their cure times is 2 weeks. Who has two weeks to wait for glue to dry??? Not me …

We use this on wood – even rotten wood and it works. Dry antiques – works … concrete / stone – works … it’s flexible also and fills huge gaps in weird situations. This works great when fixing damaged or rotten mortis and tenon joints.

It creates amazing hydraulic pressure – thus you WILL crack something if you put in too much when you have a solid joint. Be very careful when you are making a new piece of furniture. HOWEVER if you have a cracked leg or something with lots of odd nail holes left in it it works great. When you squeeze a joint it will press the adheasive into every open hole or crack and ooze out securing as it dries.

I’m just rambling this – not making the review sophisticated or throwing in a ton of side stories. This product simply WORKS … and the competition has given us every possible failure. Loctite poly has never failed me …

-- Eric M. Saperstein, Master Craftsman www.artisansofthevalley.com

View Eric M. Saperstein's profile

Eric M. Saperstein

View Binn's profile

Binn

Eric,
You are right! This glue is great, I built back in December 2011 ext. stairs for my sister and used this for glueing the 6×6 post to concrete and to the risers and 2×12’s making the ,I cannot remember what they are called , you know the boards the steps are nailed to. Anyway I used this PL glue and it sets up quick and holds. I glued every tread so there would not be any cupping even with the screws, and this was treaded lumber. As of today the glue has held, no cupping with the treads even after 8 months in the sun , heat and cold. You know how bad treaded lumber cups and twist, but her stairs look great. I also used heavy deck screws (the blonde color screws that have the star head) with all the wood NO NAILS, all screws and PL polyurethane glue. I also bolted all the post to the 2×12’s that make the deck frame. I told my sister that her house would blow away before her deck and stairs and she lives in New Orleans. I think the Liquid nail is ok for interior work if you have time for it to dry, but NOT outdoors . If I can figure how to post photos I will.

-- Barry, Louisiana

View ChrisForthofer's profile

ChrisForthofer

I’ve used this stuff several times outdoors in my projects and it is the best stuff going imho. Holds like grim death, stays flexible enough to move with the wood through the seasons and bonds most anything to anything. 2 thumbs up for me too.

-- -Director of slipshod craftsmanship and attention deficit woodworking

In general Loctite products are excellent.
The very first time i worked with a Loctite product was in 1967 in France.
I have quite en experience with them and they never let me down.

View rasp's profile

rasp

I like the PL Premium 9000 Advanced or whatever it is. near instant tack, great hold. installed a lot of wall panels and other architectural details with this stuff. Also fills voids nicely, but large blobs take longer to fully cure

don’t bother with ‘no more nails’ and other imitators

View Edziu's profile

Edziu

I’ve used this stuff and it is the real deal. I swear by it for so many applications. I even reinforced a crack on a piece of cast iron with this stuff, doesn’t look pretty, but it does the job.

View Boneski's profile

Boneski

Loctite products are excellent. I hope they sell this stuff in Australia. “No more nails” or “No more skill” as I like to call it is only an average product at best.

-- Blinded by brilliance

View Eric M. Saperstein's profile

Eric M. Saperstein

Well the white liquid nails goop still isn’t fully cured – obviously w/ a TWO WEEK cure period and this all started on Friday. ... But it didn’t come flying apart when the one leg I put together with it was chucked up and spun on the lathe.

Side note – Kinda weird, last time these table legs turned was some time around 1906 … 106 years later I split them at every seem, glue them up, and return them. More on that project later …

Now the PL stuff – all fully cured and solid. No issues … even the stuff I put together YESTERDAY. Actually some small pieces glued this morning were ready to machine this evening!

-- Eric M. Saperstein, Master Craftsman www.artisansofthevalley.com