Harbor Freight 60 Piece Alloy Steel SAE/Metric Tap and Die Set

Review by b2rtch posted 733 days ago 4241 views 0 times favorited 51 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Harbor Freight 60 Piece Alloy Steel SAE/Metric Tap and Die Set No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

For quite awhile I wanted to buy a tap and die set.
I buy many things on Amazon so I shopped on Amazon several times for such a set but the prices for such sets always stopped me from buying one.

Last week I was browsing through HF website and I read reviews about this set.
The reviews were mostly good, so after work I went to buy one of this set.

Strangely enough I have been living many years without such a set but since I bought it I have used it every day!
It is quite an extensive set and so far it has been working very well for me.
I believe that for the price, one cannot go wrong buying one of this set , just in case he/she needs it a late Saturday evening.
I recommend this set.

View SirFatty's profile

SirFatty

I have generic set that I bought back in the 80s (not HF). For occasional use, it has worked fine over the years. I’m sure that this set will work well for you, even if the plastic case gives out (those plastic hinges are the worst).

-Dave

-- Visit my blog at dave.spalla.com

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

good price for a good selection of threads for ‘light use’

a few points to keep in mind:

1. the alloy is somewhat weak (I was able to break the 1/2” tap during a threading operation)
2. the large tap wrench is pure garbage – it doesn’t hold the taps unless you righten it with pliers, and under medium pressure will break in half (I have 2 sets – SAE and Metric, and both wrenches broke in half)

Other than that, for small light home use (sheet goods, and softer materials like plastics and aluminum) this is a ok set for the money. at least you have a variety of threads to meet each case.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

Sharon,
I threaded a piece of 1/2” aluminum and 3/8” steel and the shaft of my band saw NP

View GMman's profile

GMman

Bert I got the same set use it a few times and come back and tell us if you find them as cheap as I do, they are very cheap.
My opinion sorry Bert.

Yes, this is a cheap and inexpensive set but so far it did everything I needed it to do.
It already paid for itself several times.

View capturedlive's profile

capturedlive

I agree with Bert. Cheap is cheap, but this this tap & die set got me through more than a couple of rough spots. Definitely worth the $40.

-- "I'm your huckleberry"

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

A set like this is great to buy so you have a wide selection. Yes, they are cheap. But as they break you can replace them one at a time with good ones having the knowledge of what ones you use most and therefore want the best quality of. I think it’s a good buy!

View Dallas's profile

Dallas

Back in the 90’s I had to replace my old Tap and Die set while working on a boat engine on Lake Superior. Snap-off or Mak didn’t come to the docks but Matco did so I bought a set from him. (Almost $350).

The first time I used the 1/8” npt tap it snapped before I even got it past the tapered section.

I went down to a store in MPLS/St.P. and bought a cheap Northern Tool set… same as the HF set.

I’ve been using it since then and it works well.

For those that find them cheap, maybe trying to cut threads dry or trying to make too deep a cut without backing out could be the problem? I never try to cut without oil and always use more than needed. I also only cut a 1/8 turn in 3/16” mild steel and only about 1/32 turn in Stainless.

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

View Robert Brown's profile

Robert Brown

I have had this one for several years. It has taken care of all of my occasional home and hobby needs. No breaks or noticeable deterioration.

View sixstring's profile

sixstring

I bought the same set at HF about 3 months ago to tackle a small problem on my lawn mower and it did the job well and paid itself off with that one job. Dont think I’ve used it since but like others have said, it’s great to have around especially with the large variety of sizes.

HF is awesome for buying tools you dont use regularly or heavily.

-- JC Garcia, Concord, CA : "It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission..."

Thank you guys, and StumpyNubs what you suggest to do is what I already do, as with my router bits. I bought a cheap HF set and I replace them with better ones ( Freud) as needed

View lj61673's profile

lj61673

HF is awesome for buying tools you don’t use regularly or heavily

In other words tools you can’t rely on?

These Harbor Freight review threads are too funny….

” In other words tools you can’t rely on?”
This is not correct.
We know what we buy.
We buy tools which have an excellent value and we know that they are not necessarily the best but good enough for what we need them to do.
I find it strange that so many people seem to have big problem understanding that.

I see many people around me who must have “the best” ( that they cannot afford) and who cannot pay their credit cards.
I have no such issue.
I thanks God who gave me wisdom to manage the moeny that He gives me.

Why do I have to go through the same discussion again and again?
Yes, I like HF and most of my tools are either HF or Rigid because both offer excellent value.
Value, not brand or color or fashion, is the only that matters to me.

I make a very good living ( thanks God again) yet I buy most of my clothes second hand, I do not need new clothes but clothes in good shape and comfortable.

View lj61673's profile

lj61673

God gives you money? is that cash or does he use PayPal?

Where is the value in a tool that you can’t use “regularly or heavily”?

Still not seeing the logic here.