Lee Valley Picture Framers/Glaziers Hammer

Review by JohnnyB posted 721 days ago 2655 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Lee Valley Picture Framers/Glaziers Hammer No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have had mixed results – mostly poor – when driving brads into picture frames to secure the pictures. Lots of bent brads. Because I was about to install glass in a cabinet door using strips of wood held in place by brads, and because I did not want to mess up at this final stage in my project, I ordered one of Lee Valley’s special picture framing hammers. This hammer has a rotating triangular head with a totally flat face, and a round head with a flat face. In use, the two faces rest on the back of your picture or pane of glass, and you get a dead-on square strike at your brad with no possibility of damaging the picture or glass. I predrilled the strips with holes for the brads, and I drilled a slight countersink for the brad heads. (The countersink probably wasn’t necessary, but as I said, I did not want to mess up.) The installation of the glass and retaining strips was performed with absolutely no excitement – just the way I like it. Now I can’t wait for my next picture framing project. (See my Limbert Bookcase project.)

-- JohnnyB - - Sometimes determination can substitute for skill.

View JohnnyB's profile

JohnnyB

I’ve had excellent results with one of these : ) <$5
Not so much good luck with hammers around glass though ! LOL

View Alexandre's profile

Alexandre

Have you tried these? http://www.busybeetools.com/products/PLIERS-PICTURE-FRAME.html

-- My terrible signature...

View roofner's profile

roofner

Now Alexandre that looks like the ticket to me.

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

3521 posts in 1954 days

I do quite a bit of framing and use the tool in the link below:

“Logan framing tools”: http://www.logangraphic.com/i/pb-fittingtool.jpg

I cut mats, make frames, add non reflective Plexiglas … just for a picture. A lot of work but for the most part enjoyable!

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"