What a great piece of equipment

Review by Andrew posted 07-20-2012 02:53 AM 5978 views 1 time favorited 25 comments Add to Favorites Watch
What a great piece of equipment What a great piece of equipment No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I got this saw a few months ago. I figured I like it enough to write a review. Yes, the Sawstop always leads to heated discussions. This is a review of the saw and nothing else.

I will admit, the safety is what first made me look at the Sawstop, However, it is the last thing I think about when I use it. I hope I never have to make use of the braking system, but if I do, I’ll be glad I got it. Speaking of that, I have not had any false triggers as of yet, and I hope to not ever.

The saw arrived on a pallet, after a hiccup with the delivery company (forgot to send a lift-gate truck):

I had a buddy help me assemble it. It couldn’t have been much easier.The instructions are outstanding. The hardware packs are in order and color coded. Seems silly to dumb down instructions on a $3k+ tablesaw, but what a difference it makes. Three or 4 hours later, it was assembled.
The fence and blade were dead parallel with the miter slots right out of the box. But, from what I have read/heard, adjusting the table so the blade is parallel to the miter slots is extremely easy, and is achieved using allen keys (not a mallet).

The fence is smooth and accurate. The front rail which the T-Glide fence grips has cast iron strips on three sides (front, top and back)

I was able to rip 12/4 hard maple fairly easily. Anything 8/4 or less is like butter.

I built my own overarm dust collection unit. It works surprisingly well. That project is posted here I think it’s better designed than sawstop’s, and only cost about $50-60. When using both below- and above-blade collection simultaneously, there is virtually no dust anywhere (unless you are shaving less than 1/8” off the end of a board).

Removing the blade guard/riving knife takes about 5 seconds, could not be easier. The included zero-clearance insert is beveled on the underside, allowing you to tip the blade.

I give this saw 5 stars. I absolutely love it. The safety is a bonus. I am not complacent. That spinning blade does not see any less scary than it did on my old craftsman.

-- Andrew - Albany. NY

View Andrew's profile

Andrew

View Ryan Haasen's profile

Ryan Haasen

#1 posted 07-20-2012 03:41 AM

Congrats on the beautiful saw!

-- Ryan

View dnick's profile

dnick

#2 posted 07-20-2012 03:46 AM

I am happy for you. Can’t help being envious.

-- dnick, North Hollywood, Ca.

View doordude's profile

doordude

#3 posted 07-20-2012 04:56 AM

despite the arguments that develope when we talk about this brand. It’s very cool to get a new tool of this caliber,that is a pleasure to use and look at. sweet!!!

View Milo's profile

Milo

862 posts in 2067 days

#4 posted 07-20-2012 12:52 PM

greengreengreengreen with envy here… congrats on a cool tool!

-- Beer, Beer, Thank God for Beer. It's my way of keeping my mind fresh and clear...

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

#5 posted 07-20-2012 12:55 PM

That’s an exciting day to get those boxes. I hope you love your saw.

View GregD's profile

GregD

#6 posted 07-20-2012 01:03 PM

I’ve got this same setup. I think it is a pretty sweet saw.
There are some annoyances, but if my shop burned down I’d buy another one just like it.

-- Greg D.

View Andrew's profile

Andrew

#7 posted 07-20-2012 01:21 PM

Hey Greg – what annoyances? Just curious.

-- Andrew - Albany. NY

View Earlextech's profile

Earlextech

#8 posted 07-20-2012 02:43 PM

Jealous

-- Sam Hamory - The project is never finished until its "finished"!

#9 posted 07-20-2012 04:22 PM

That’s the saw I want to upgrade to… Good Lord and budget willing I will get there…

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#10 posted 07-20-2012 04:44 PM

Sweet looking saw…you made the right choice…I love my Unisaw but would sell it in a heart beat if I could jump to a Sawstop

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

#11 posted 07-20-2012 04:56 PM

Just wondering. The SS saws always look a little short to me. What is the height of the table from the floor? If it’s as short as it looks I will likely have to build some sort of riser for it…

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

#12 posted 07-20-2012 05:25 PM

dbhost,

The SawStop in my shop’s table top sits at 34 1/4” above the floor (no mobile base)

The old Unisaw it replaced happens to be 34 1/8” to the top of the table.

ie: “near as make no difference” but the SS is the taller of the two.

#13 posted 07-20-2012 06:51 PM

8My Ryobi BT3100 is 38” floor to table, and is a VERY comfortable height for me… Riser it is for me!

I know the Unisaws I have been around always seem short to me.. I am not that tall, I just don’t like stooping more than I need to…

View muleskinner's profile

muleskinner

#14 posted 07-20-2012 07:46 PM

Damn, that thing’s so pretty it’s a shame to get sawdust on it!

-- Visualize whirled peas

View thedude50's profile

thedude50

#15 posted 07-21-2012 12:36 AM

Nice saw I am holding out for a Powermatic myself and I know they have their own blade stopping technology in the works I may wait for it I may not. I think that the saw stop would be my third choice even if it didn’t have the saw stop feature. I would be waiting for the new made in the USA uni saw before a saw i saw not sure about. I have a need for a 5 hp saw and that is what i am going to go with. a 52 inch fence and a left tilt arbor. I know there is a reason for the left tilt but i don’t recall what i was making when I had the trouble but one thing for sure it was important at the time and i was cursing my right tilt saw that day. I am very pleased that you got the saw of your dreams I hope i can get mine soon as the old jet has lots of miles and is a little under powered but cuts very very well.

-- when I am not on Lumberjocks I am on @ http://thisoldworkshop.com where we allow free speech