Grizzly G0609X 12" Jointer

Review by Joe posted 07-18-2012 12:11 AM 4057 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly G0609X 12" Jointer Grizzly G0609X 12" Jointer Grizzly G0609X 12" Jointer Click the pictures to enlarge them

It was time to upgrade my 6” Delta jointer, which has served me well for 4 years. I was planning to go with an 8” but decided to go ahead and get the 12”. This is my first Grizzly tool and so far it seems to be worth the money spent.

A1Jim done a good review on this jointer so I am not going to rehash the same info. I will go over a few issues I had with mine.

- Fit and finish is good, not great. It’s heavy, it’s quite, hey it’s a bear.
- The table faces and the fence face were very nice. The milling was spot on.
- The out-feed table was in parallel with the cutter head. Well it was .004 out which is in specs.
- The in-feed table however was not parallel with out-feed table. There are 4 eccentric bushing you adjust to get it in tolerances. This took me a long time, seems the more I tweaked the more out of whack it became. You start chasing the errors and making it worse. Anyway, I took a break for a bit and finally got it dialed in or within tolerances. I was afraid to trying to tighten up the tolerances because it can go the other way real quick, well for me anyway.
- The cutter head pulley and the motor pulley was out of line by quite a bit. Pretty simple though, just loosen the motor and move it inline. I used a 36” Veritas straight edge for this along with checking the tables.

- Installed 30 feet of 12GA wire and took the 5 footer off that comes with it.

- Just so you know the website shows the jointer comes with two v-belts and the G0706 uses the serpentine belt. They have now upgraded and the G0609X and G0609 comes with the serpentine belt along with aluminum pulleys.

Hope this helps the people on the fence…

-- Senior Chief

View Joe's profile

Joe

185 posts in 2049 days

112096 posts in 2233 days

#1 posted 07-18-2012 01:04 AM

Good Review Joe ,I do like mine and hope yours gives you good service too.

View lab7654's profile

lab7654

#2 posted 07-18-2012 01:11 AM

Wow, that is a beauty. The spiral cutterhead will definitely be appreciated.

-- Tristin King -- When in doubt, sand it.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#3 posted 07-18-2012 02:11 AM

curious – how long have you been using this jointer? how many bf did you run through it? how does it hold it’s setting over time? how do the knives hold their edge over time? how is the fence holding square? what’s the biggest cut you can take with it?

Thanks

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

#4 posted 07-18-2012 09:55 AM

Great review and congrats to you!

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#5 posted 07-18-2012 03:46 PM

major jealous over here….

looks like a great machine

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View ChuckC's profile

ChuckC

#6 posted 07-18-2012 04:12 PM

What a beast, good luck!

The Wood Whisperer has a good video on setting up the tables on a jointer.

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#7 posted 07-18-2012 06:34 PM

What you said about “chasing the errors”, I had the same thing on the Grizzly spiralhead planer I bought. Dial it in, tighten it, and it moves upon tightening. You have to learn to measure how much the tightening bolt will move the particular adjustment, and compensate for that BEFORE you tighten the allen set, bolt, whatever. Drives you nuts until you realize also that every tightening bolt and screw will move its assigned part of the machine a different amount. Its not like every tightening bolt will move something .003. Some .005, .006, some .001, etc. Almost decided to write them all down, but got it dialed in and drank a beer instead…
Otherwise, looks like one heck of a jointer!

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View SCOTSMAN's profile

SCOTSMAN

#8 posted 07-18-2012 06:37 PM

Looking great have fun Alistair

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

View Alexandre's profile

Alexandre

#9 posted 07-18-2012 06:38 PM

Joe… LOL your jointer is 12 feet?
Thats one big jointer:P

-- My terrible signature...

View Joe's profile

Joe

185 posts in 2049 days

#10 posted 07-19-2012 02:48 PM

PurpLev’ I have had it a couple weeks and only ran a couple 100 BF through it. I will see how everything holds up overtime, so far so good. The guy I get my lumber from has had the same model for few years and said he has done nothing to it but turn it on, and he uses it allot. He stated he has not even turned the cutters. He let me try it out and that’s what done it for me.

Alexandre Good catch, I changed mine in the title but LJ administrator will need to change it from the drop down menu. They have listed that way from the list that you choose from.

-- Senior Chief

View Delta356's profile

Delta356

#11 posted 07-24-2012 09:40 PM

Congrats… That thing is BIGGGGG… Thanks for posting.

Take Care, Michael Frey